Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #1

Red Fluid dripping off of Airspring

I just noticed a small leak starting from the top of my right rear airbag/airspring. The fluid is light red, similar to transmission fluid. I traced it to the top of the airspring where a Hydraulic line connects, and it appears to be tightened OK. I don't know for sure if it started there as it is hard to get a good view up in there. I just had the coach serviced with a major oil change one week ago, and they checked the airsprings for proper height. They said that it needed no adjustment. By the way, my ride is much smoother now that they took some air out of the front and rear tires. And my water pump works great since they changed the strainer (loaded with algae). Before it was just dripping water. Thanks goes to all of you who responded and helped out this new RV owner. Any ideas/experiences about the red fluid?

It is a 06 Dutchstar, Model #3817, Spartan, 400ISL
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

Airbags don't have tranny fluid, so I'm guessing an oil line has rubbed or a fitting is leaking. Tranny fluid is sometimes used in the hydraulic system (power steering & radiator fan drive) as well as the transmission. Not a big deal for the air bag I don't think (tranny fluid won't degrade the bag per se), but I'd keep it mopped up so you can at least keep an eye on progress until you get if fixed. You'll want to attend to it soon in case it is something that is coming separated and might make a real mess when it does.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #3

If your coach has slide-outs powered by hydraulic rams, a leaking ram seal or line connection could be the source.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #4

Good ideas! I will take a look at the slide out since it is close to the passenger side bedroom slide. I did notice that the top of the airbag is up against a frame rail where the fluid could be travelling down from. I will take a look again, and if I can't figure it out, I will take it to the Redlands Ca. Rv service. They have been very helpful. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmar's slide outs are 12V powered, not hydraulic.

Quote:
I traced it to the top of the airspring where a Hydraulic line connects
Could be a hydraulic leveling jack fluid leak.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
efstewart:

06 Dutchstar huh? Can ya catch some of the dripping fluid into one of those clear plastic cups? Try to obtain about at least a 1/4 inch of fluid or so. Now, next question. Does your rig have an Aqua/Hydro Hot diesel burner furnace using polypropylene boiler coolant (kinda thin, pinkish/red liquid)?

The reason I ask, (and this may be way off track), is that on our 06 MtnAire. we experienced a similar leak found ultimately to be from defective (split) coolant hose and this fluid migrated under the rig along hoses and frame components to strange locations. In 06, there was some defective coolant hose used (cross section revealed absence of reinforcement cords supposed to be imbedded in rubber hose) and coolant leaked, sprayed and sometimes burst out of this hose when it began to and/or failed totally.

Compare any dripping fluid ya can recover to the boiler coolant ya might have.

If ya don't use this coolant, then......"never mind" Steve
Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

I don't know what kind of furnace I have. I will check the manual and find out. Then I will try your advice, thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could it be brake fluid?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Could it be brake fluid?
No, the rig has air brakes.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. had to ask..... After all a vehicle that won't go.. is usually safe

A vehicle that won't stop however.........
Old 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #11

Smile Fluid Leak

Hi All,

I have the same problem and after talking with Spartan and Newmar we have come to the conclusion that my reddish looking fluid leak is coolant. On my coach there is a factory add-on water heating device. Whenever the engine is running some of the hot engine coolant is piped to another location forward of the rear wheels and this coolant heats our tap water so when we get to the next location it is hot. This extra coolant line runs directly over the top of our right rear air bag, but up against the rail. It is leaking from around the two clamps. Am scheduled to get it fixed this Monday at a Cummings place (closest repair place to me). I cannot reach the clamps myself. Lottsa luck.

Fred
Fred Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #12

Red Fluid Leak

Re: the last post, you are right about the clamps. I just took my coach in to our Service shop (So California, Redlands RV service is great) and they said that it was the clamps attached to the Hydraulic lines ( if I remember correctly). The clamps are not expensive, but the labor to get in there is time consuming. I like to do my own repairs, and can figure most things out, but this one involves too much twisting and contorting and lots of grease and dirt in a very tight area. So it should be fixed soon. Thanks for all of your responses, I am learning a lot about my first Motorhome. My wallet is lighter but it is still worth it. Yellowstone and Colorado, here we come!

Tags
model 3817, stu and theo, training for retirement, dutch star