Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2023, 12:38 PM   #1

Reducing Height to Garage

So we have decided to stick with diesels. Looking at a Ventana that is 12'6" tall. Our RV garage is 12' tall. Can we dump the air out of the suspension enough to drive it in and still have brakes?
Jester47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2023, 12:50 PM   #2

I suspect if you dump the air out of the suspension you won’t have enough air pressure to release the brakes. Additionally don’t think dropping your suspension will get you 6 inches. So my answer is No.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #3

I tend to agree. My Ventana is 12’10” at ride height, and it drops about 3” or so when it is aired down. Additionally, my Ventana doesn’t have an air dump switch. When you start the engine it automatically airs up to ride height. Maybe the one you’re considering is different.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:07 PM   #4

I agree, air suspension won't get you a 6" drop.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:04 PM   #5

What is on the coach roof controlling the height? Can you just install a larger
height garage door? Also, what is the garage floor material? Consider cutting and lowering the center section of the floor the width of your tires? If the garage is a standalone building, consider detaching the structure from the foundation and raising it 8 Inches. I have watched a lot of local houses get raised recently. Not that big of a deal, depending on utilities connected. Years ago I had a neighbor that cut a foot of the top garage door framing and hinged it out to raise the height of the opening to get his boat in/out. Looked good.
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Also you would not be able to get out once your are in there. It has to air up so that the parking break releases.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:39 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Correct me if I’m wrong, Isn’t the braking system separate from the suspension? On a Dutch Star tag, the tag airbags dump while backing without effecting braking.
As far as dumping and driving, I would think that this could put undue stress on driveline and I agree that dropping 6” isn’t going to happen.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 05:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
A couple of points:

A. Your coach may or may not be 12’6”. According to the literature, my coach is 13’1”, except it isn’t. It’s actually 12’8” because I did not option in the Winegard in-motion sat. You’ll need to measure the height of your coach to be certain.

B. The air suspension and brakes are two different systems. On mine, if I shut the coach down and manually dump the suspension, it will not begin to air it back up until I release the parking brake. This is how I get it into my RV port. I drive to the entrance, shut it off, dump air, then restart and move forward. I’m into the port before the air bags reinflate.

I agree with the others about the amount the height is reduced when the air is dumped. It’s only 3 inches or so which was a bit of a surprise.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:27 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to physically measure the height of your coach as I see the brochures are seldom accurate.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
A couple of points:

A. Your coach may or may not be 12’6”. According to the literature, my coach is 13’1”, except it isn’t. It’s actually 12’8” because I did not option in the Winegard in-motion sat. You’ll need to measure the height of your coach to be certain.
And ditto the entrance to the RV garage. The clear height for a 12' door may be less than 12', allowing for apron, lip to garage floor, etc. (and overhead opener if there is one).

We have a 14' door and 13'8" clear with a side-mounted opener.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:13 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would park on flat level ground and while fully aired up, activate the jacks to Auto Level. Before the jacks actually start to operate (after the coach dumps) turn everything off. At this time, I would then get a GOOD measurement of the height. Not just for the garage but for your own knowledge, both aired up and aired down. I've never measured mine, but I believe mine drops almost 6" when I dump.

If the coach is low enough for the garage, see if you can drive it both FORWARD and in reverse for a short distance before it tries to air up. I say drive it FORWARD to make sure it doesn't automatically try to lift to ride height.

*****NEVER turn the steering while doing this, as you may tear up the fenders. You also want to keep the movement to just getting in and out of the garage as the driveshaft angle will be wrong.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:09 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
The maximum drop for dumping the air is 4 inches but that is the absolute max. They use to say it was 3" up and 4" down but that isn't published or used anymore. You can check how much it drops yourself by measuring the height of the body before and after dumping air. Have you measured the actual height of the door opening? I have seen a 12' door that only had 11'10" opening. It does depend upon who built the opening and the type of door.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:06 AM   #13

Seem to remember there is a company that makes a valve system to drop the air bags independent of brake air pressure...used to advertise on this forum...Starts with an "S"..."Specialty", "Specialized"...., or something like that...
Old 02-01-2023, 06:27 AM   #14

IMHO, nothing good is going to come from trying to make your plan happen. New garage door with a true 14’ door, remodel garage, build another garage, park outside, or find appropriate alternative storage location.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote