Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #1

Refer door wood covering

HEY, I HAVE A 2018 NEWMAR.i asked about the wood on the front of the residential refrigerator doors. NEWMAR SAID IT WOULD COST 3000.00 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that's NUTS. Any idea where I might look to see if I can find it less expensive? Thanks Dan C....
Kcdc3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can buy a new refer for that price. As for the wood trim it depends on the make of the refer. If it's a Dometic that's similar to mine it's possible the wood is a thin panel insert. Check along the edges of the door and see if they are plastic attached with screws. If so you should be able to remove the plastic trim and slide the wood panel out. Go to the Lowes/Home Depot and find a piece of paneling that might match as close as possible. Cut to fit and slide it in.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcdc3050 View Post
HEY, I HAVE A 2018 NEWMAR.i asked about the wood on the front of the residential refrigerator doors. NEWMAR SAID IT WOULD COST 3000.00 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that's NUTS. Any idea where I might look to see if I can find it less expensive? Thanks Dan C....
A little more information would be helpful. Are you looking to add wood or replace damaged wood. Which refer do you have? Both Dometic and Norcold use removable panels so that builders can match the wood used in the coach interior.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #4

As well if it's an all electric coach with residential fridge, you'll have to swap to a "panel ready" door model fridge. Pretty sure none of the residential fridges I've seen in Newmar are panel ready. Usually the lower end Whirlpool line. You may be able to swap a Whirlpool door for a Jenn Air door if the measurements line up. But that's gonna cost more than $3k.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Refer door wood covering

From his profile looks like the OP has an Essex but he/she doesn’t list the year. The 2020 Essex appears to use the same French door whirlpool as other Newmars with wood panels attached to match the cabinetry.

UPDATE on edit: the brochure for the 2018 Essex shows a stainless steel whirlpool without wood. So I assume the OP wants to add wood panels now to match the look of the newer models.

Assuming that’s right, $3k for Newmar to custom make and stain and install panels on a fridge that wasn’t designed for them doesn’t sound out of line. I assume that the many RV custom fitters in the Nappanee area could do the same thing for less.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:41 PM   #6

You need to be careful about the weight of the wood panels on fridge. A RV owner was having issues with the fridge doors falling off by breaking the plastic brackets that attach the doors to the fridge case. Only way to fix it after damaging both the wood floor and the fridge doors was to take the wood panels off which was the fix. Fridge wasn't engineered to handle the extra weight added by being added to doors.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcdc3050 View Post
Hey A little up date on the refrigerator wood panels.. A couple of years ago Newmar started adding wood panels to the front of the residential refrigerator doors and the dishwasher front panel..As I mentioned Newmar wants 3000. for the panels alone and I would have to install them. They look really nice and I think it would easier to keep clean.I have a whirlpool residential unit. If you look on Newmars Home page it will show on some of the models.I have an Essex .I am not a cheap----- but 3000.is crazy. Would like to find an after market co.that might help.I called a few but no luck.THANKS Dan C
Kcdc3050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We looked at 2020 coaches the other day and saw the wood panels added to the whirlpool refrigerator. We didn’t like it, as we prefer the simpler look, but to each his own.

I’m pretty sure that the panels are all custom Newmar items and your choices are to either purchase them from Newmar or find a wood shop (ie. cabinet maker) to design, build, and install them for you.

Tags
cover, door