RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Refill a DEF container at a truck stop?

[moderator edit] Does anyone refill a 2.5 gallon DEF container at a truck stop such as Love's or Pilot/Flying J? Reason for asking, is a new 2.5 gallon container of DEF at my local Walmart costs $3.30 per gallon for Walmart brand and costs a whopping $5.00 per gallon for the Peak Blue DEF brand! At the Love's truck stop near my home, the DEF pump price is $2.90 per gallon.

Hence I was thinking that after purchasing and using my next 2.5 gallon jug of DEF from Walmart that I would just keep the empty jug and refill it at Loves' or Flying J or Buc-ee's. What does the forum think?
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess you could do that, but when you consider how much the RV uses (somewhere around 300 mpg for DEF), the difference of $2 over 300 (approx) miles does not seem worth the challenges.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:30 AM   #3

That's exactly what I do. I have 2 1 gallon used DEF containers I keep in my pegboard bay. When I get fuel, I pull out teh DEF jugs and fill them too. At the next campsite, I pull them out and put into the DEF tank. My reason is because the DEF fill is on the opposite side of the coach so I can't fil from the nozzle
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
That's exactly what I do. I have 2 1 gallon used DEF containers I keep in my pegboard bay. When I get fuel, I pull out teh DEF jugs and fill them too. At the next campsite, I pull them out and put into the DEF tank. My reason is because the DEF fill is on the opposite side of the coach so I can't fil from the nozzle
Ok...I can see that. That makes sense... I Forgot that some models had DEF on the other side....
Old 09-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Some pumps require that you have a metal ring to activate the DEF pump. Your coach and some specialized DEF containers have the ring built in. Some stations have the ring on a cord that can be used while filling. I mention this in case you find the pump won't fill your used DEF container.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
This is exactly how I have been doing my DEF. It isn't so much about saving money but more about convenience. It just seems easier to me to fill my DEF in the jug while at the truck stop rather than lug it out of a Walmart or other store when I need it. Plus I know I'm getting fresh high quality DEF.

As far as any type of ring on a DEF pump that would prevent you from pumping into a plastic container I have never found that in any of our travels since using DEF since 2011, at least not in this country.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

How old is the DEF at the truck stop? No one really knows and the truck stop tank will get refilled without ever being emptied and cleaned. The Walmart jug DEF is marked with it's born on date. Besides, we usually shop at a Walmart somewhere weekly.
I have used both truck stops and Walmart and I find that the Walmart DEF is just more convenient. My truck DEF fill is under the hood on the pass side which is not easy to fill without a stool (easier done at a cg) even for a 6' person.
I drove truck for a few years and I find truck stops are dirty places to stay away from! I can get fuel using Gas Buddy cheaper than most truck stops to fill my 100 gal aux tank which will last for most trips.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
How old is the DEF at the truck stop? No one really knows and the truck stop tank will get refilled without ever being emptied and cleaned. The Walmart jug DEF is marked with it's born on date. Besides, we usually shop at a Walmart somewhere weekly.
I have used both truck stops and Walmart and I find that the Walmart DEF is just more convenient. My truck DEF fill is under the hood on the pass side which is not easy to fill without a stool (easier done at a cg) even for a 6' person.
I drove truck for a few years and I find truck stops are dirty places to stay away from! I can get fuel using Gas Buddy cheaper than most truck stops to fill my 100 gal aux tank which will last for most trips.
We are comparing apples and oranges my friend. I am right at 70' long when I fuel so I need to be running through the commercial lanes at truck stops. Even when I had a fiver the first one was over 39' and the last one was a foot longer, much safer and easier to fill at truck stops unless I was filling while unhooked.

As far as DEF being fresher or cleaner at truck stops compared to the packaged stuff, everyone will have to decide for themselves. I go by the same theory I apply to buying my diesel. I won't buy diesel at some Mom and Pop station that only pumps 500 gallons a week out of old tanks. I prefer to pump where they sell thousands of gallons per day.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just different ways of doing things.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
We are comparing apples and oranges my friend. I am right at 70' long when I fuel so I need to be running through the commercial lanes at truck stops. Even when I had a fiver the first one was over 39' and the last one was a foot longer, much safer and easier to fill at truck stops unless I was filling while unhooked.

As far as DEF being fresher or cleaner at truck stops compared to the packaged stuff, everyone will have to decide for themselves. I go by the same theory I apply to buying my diesel. I won't buy diesel at some Mom and Pop station that only pumps 500 gallons a week out of old tanks. I prefer to pump where they sell thousands of gallons per day.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, just different ways of doing things.

My rig is 61' long, but either way filling the DEF from a jug at home or a cg is easier done than at a truck stop.
Buying diesel from a high volume station is one thing, but even a truck stop does not do a high volume of DEF sales. Not all commercial trucks use DEF and most of them will fill up with DEF at their home yard anyway. Truck stop DEF is risky to use at best, there is no way to confirm what you are getting!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I too worry about contamination of the DEF system at truck stops. The savings is not enough for me to consider it. I have done it, of course, but so has my friend who had a horrible experience when the contaminated DEF he purchased shut down his rig while traveling. $2000 tow job and a night in a motel waiting for a Freightliner dealership to get the system cleaned out. So I buy in 2.5 gallon containers like most of you.

Happy trails,

BobbyJ
2020 Dutch Star 4369
2015 Yukon XL AF1
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:08 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would be curious what the consensus is on this as I have about 17K miles on my RV and have always used DEF from truck stops. Until this thread, I had not heard of folks having an issue with it.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:37 PM   #12

I have done both for years and it has all worked. Just bought DEF at a truck stop in OKC yesterday for $1.99 per gallon. We have a local farm supply store that sell 2.5 gallon jugs for $5.99 and I get it there a lot. JMHO
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #13

Read many stories of Walmart DEF being water
Seems unscrupulous folks by the DEF...empty it, fill with water and return it for refund.
Walmart then puts it back on shelve and it gets sold again

Not so sure Walmart is ideal either

Course I don't have to use DEF

Just saying.........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have never had a problem ether way. I prefer to buy the 2.5 gal. jugs from Walmart and test them first. I save the jugs for oil changes. The last 3 Walmarts I have been in did not have def.