Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Refueling Advice

This is my first DP and after a 5000 mile trip all went very well. But I need some advice when at the refueling stops. I have 2 issues:
1. When fueling from both sides, is there a technique that can get things stopped without dumping diesel all over the ground?
2. When you are in the truck lanes and have to pre-authorize and you are filling both diesel and DEF, is there a trick to moving forward to fill the DEF and still having the pre-auth work on the DEF. Every time I do this even though they pre-auth both, I have to call or in some cases go back inside?
I do like refilling there though!
wepinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #2

I don’t ever refuel from both sides. Keep track of how many gallons I’ve used on the trip computer, fill from one side, and slow the fill when I approach what I’ve used.

I usually unhook the DEF handle and set it aside before moving ahead.
rxoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
YC1

I would not fill from both sides. I believe it is really designed for vehicles that have separate tanks. You run a serious risk of overflow. Those truck nozzles are plenty fast with one alone.

I don't use def so haven't looked at the procedure. However when towing my boat I will just lay the nozzle on the ground out of the way and pull forward to fill it. Maybe that will work for you.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #4

Never fill both sides, that's a disaster waiting to happen. I never use DEF at the pump, always from sealed containers. You won't use enough to notice the extra cost and it avoids the risk of picking up bad DEF. It happens!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Almost all tractor trailers have a tank on both sides. They have a cross over but it works very slow, they draw from both sides.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I use both fills, but my KGDB has a 200 gal tank. A typical fill for us was about 140-150 gal. So I would start both, stop the offside at about 120 gal, then finish with the driver side. I wouldn't depend on the auto-stop. I would listen to the noise coming out of the fill port and stop the flow when the sound changed, indicating that the fuel was starting up the tube.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I’ve never fueled from both sides at the same time before. I’m not sure I would try that either. I figure out roughly how much I need based on the fuel gauge. I’m usually pretty close...within 5 gallons. When I get to the point I think the tank is almost full I slow the pump down and do half speed on the rest. Only had one spill so far and that was my fault. I wasn’t paying attention.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Like others, I fill from one side only. Never both sides simultaneously. My primary fuel station is Flying J, the truck lanes. I don’t preauthorize DEF at the time I preauthorize diesel. Instead, I pull forward and treat DEF as a separate transaction on my Flying J credit card.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wepinegar View Post
This is my first DP and after a 5000 mile trip all went very well. But I need some advice when at the refueling stops. I have 2 issues:
1. When fueling from both sides, is there a technique that can get things stopped without dumping diesel all over the ground?
2. When you are in the truck lanes and have to pre-authorize and you are filling both diesel and DEF, is there a trick to moving forward to fill the DEF and still having the pre-auth work on the DEF. Every time I do this even though they pre-auth both, I have to call or in some cases go back inside?
I do like refilling there though!
The pre-authorization thing is determined by the fuel seller and how it's computers are set up. I have never found a place where I didn't need a separate pre-authorization for DEF. My guess is that it might be available to commercial truckers with company accounts, but not to RVers. Too much hassle for such a small percentage of their sales.

If you do you use containerized DEF, be sure to check for an intact seal under the cap. I have found (yes...personal experience!) DEF in what appeared to be factory-sealed outer boxes that did not have the container seal. The actual container had been refilled with water. Not good!

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
One technique I read on IRV2 was to wrap the nozzle with some paper towels that are usually available right there near the pump. Or use your own. Covering the entire circle area generally prevents the spill over and you don't have to sit there running the pump slower.

I used to guess gallons needed, slow down, etc., but after trying this technique a few times, it seems to work pretty well.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I used to calculate our fuel use each time before filling, the Silver Leaf on our current rig does it for me. I too will manually take over when I get within 10 gallons of that estimate.

I'll pile on and agree with those that have told you the satellite pump is for rigs with two separate tanks, not a good idea for you.

I don't bother with the hassle of moving the rig to access the DEF. I carry a couple of the 2.5 gallon containers with me and once used I simply resupply the next time we're at Walmart. As that's a regular event I've never had to make a special trip to pick some up. At around $9 for 2.5 gallons it's not that much more expensive than at the pump, especially considering how relatively little is used over a season.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As the others have said, I only fill from the driver's side. It's hard enough to stop the flow without spilling but I found the fill on the passenger side was even more sensitive. I usually use the paper towel method to avoid spills, but really you can avoid it if it is quiet enough for you to hear the fuel level approaching full.

As for the DEF fill, I use Pilot/Flying J truck stops with my RV Plus card. You swipe it at the pump, tell it you want Tractor fuel and (on the next screen) DEF. I've never had the pump time out while I move the coach up to fill the DEF. Maybe if you are using a standard credit card authorization it would, but the PFJ charge card seems to handle it just fine.
ficodek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The pre-authorization thing is determined by the fuel seller and how it's computers are set up. I have never found a place where I didn't need a separate pre-authorization for DEF. My guess is that it might be available to commercial truckers with company accounts, but not to RVers. Too much hassle for such a small percentage of their sales.

If you do you use containerized DEF, be sure to check for an intact seal under the cap. I have found (yes...personal experience!) DEF in what appeared to be factory-sealed outer boxes that did not have the container seal. The actual container had been refilled with water. Not good!

TJ

Agree with store bought DEF. Make sure to check the seal. Blue colored water into the tank is not a good thing to have happen.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Agree with store bought DEF. Make sure to check the seal. Blue colored water into the tank is not a good thing to have happen.
The one I got wasn't even colored; just plain water.

Now, when I use packaged DEF, I slash the empty container to keep some jerk with trying to refill it with water and return it for a cash credit (which is the main reason the bad stuff shows up on the shelf).

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, fuel