Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Removed "L-shaped" sofa bed

Just finished removing the uncomfortable Flexsteel L-shaped sofa bed in our 3610. Very well constructed, lots of steel framing that would last forever. Unfortunately, the material used to cover it was crap. Only lasted two years before becoming brittle and splitting open on the sofa back. Guess we should have put slip covers over it to help it last a decent amount of time.

The 24" wide entry door made it a huge PIA to get it out of the coach. Had to strip the corner section down to the metal frame to make it.

Now looking for a replacement, such as a dual recliner love seat or sofa. Can anyone recommend a specific brand that will fit through a 24" wide entry door?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cenfl......
Previous owner had removed the driver side sofa from our DS4090, but we didn't care at all for their replacement. We went right down to LazyBoy and bought two big, comfy recliners. The upper back section of the recliner slides right off, allowing the pieces to come through the door with no difficulty at all.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #3

Call Heather at Glastop Rv furniture on the east coast of Florida. I think they will be at the Tampa show. She knows her stuff and a pleasure to deal with. Best price I found on a recliner which was same model Newmar is putting in

Southwest Florida
2016 Dutchstar 4369
Old 01-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
Call Heather at Glastop Rv furniture on the east coast of Florida. I think they will be at the Tampa show. She knows her stuff and a pleasure to deal with. Best price I found on a recliner which was same model Newmar is putting in

Southwest Florida
2016 Dutchstar 4369
Agree! We live on the east coast and have met Heather at her shop. We ordered our DS 4369 without the recliners because we wanted the motorized version of the same recliner (Lambright) which she sells. We are going to order them from her as soon as my wife picks out the fabric she wants for them. You can also order them directly from Lambright.
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lay-z-Boy a good choice.

JFXG is spot on about Lay-z-Boy. All of their recliners, manual or electric come apart. Most if not all of the reclining sofa and love seats do too.

The DW and I purchased a reclining Love Seat for the pre coach apartment and it came through the 24 inch doorway with ease. Five pieces in all, the two backs, two bases and the filler piece with a storage bin and drink holders.

I took a small drill and added a hole to the bin and ran two USB chargers up to charge the tablets and phones.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. We will be at the Tampa show on Wed. with tape measure in hand.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

We bought two Fjord Muldal recliners from Bradd & Hall in Indiana. Much better and we put a small table between so we have somewhere to put drinks, books, etc. They went through the door easily on their side.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
We bought two Fjord Muldal recliners from Bradd & Hall in Indiana. Much better and we put a small table between so we have somewhere to put drinks, books, etc. They went through the door easily on their side.
They are beautiful recliners! But they aren't wallhuggers, right?
specmga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by specmga1 View Post
They are beautiful recliners! But they aren't wallhuggers, right?
No, but they are very light and we just slide them on the carpets once the slide is out. Since our TV is over the dash, we can now alighn them with the TV and still have plenty of room in the living area to move around. They have others that are wall huggers, but I didn't feel it necessary since we had to move them to keep from getting a sore neck and take full advantage of their portability.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #10

good seeing heather at the show yesterday in the glastop booth. nice to chat and put a face with a phone voice. they do have a 2017 recliner there that newmar is putting in.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I want to do the same thing but my Euro dinette is not finished on the side facing the sofa. Once removed the cloth backing would be exposed. DW loves the Euro, I could do without it. Trying to decide what my options are on our 10 YO RV.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote