RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Removing a booth and adding a table

I see a lot more coaches for sale that have a booth but the wife and I detest these from our youth being on houseboats. Wonder how hard it is to remove the booth and if there are any issues with it. Read about possible wiring or plumbing issues in general, not specific to Newmar. We are looking at used Ventana and, if we can swing it, a Dutchstar. Thanks for any help with this.

In regards to the new table, I have a wood shop, so I will build a freestanding table.

brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 06:39 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a matter of personal taste, but we have had both in our current and past RVs and we actually would prefer the booth. More storage and don't have to fool with the chairs and table extension...

Old 09-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #3

If you are buying new you can probably choose which you want. If you are going used the answer is as you noted, it depends on what is hidden in the seats. Credenza with table units are available to get back most of the "lost" storage.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:39 PM   #4

We replaced the booth with a table that slides in/out and sideways. Before and after pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4808.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	175495Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5411.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	175496
SteveCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:51 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did the same as Steve, we also despise booths. My Dutch Star came with the booth and two folding chairs. I priced out the buffet as in the picture above, new table and the two matching dining chairs. It was about $5500.00. My dealer and I are good friends and he ordered it for me for $3400.00. The only mistake I made was to buy the Newmar dining chairs. They retailed for $800.00, but I got them for about $500.00 each which was still ridiculous. I wanted them to match! Once we got them, they were the most uncomfortable chairs we've ever had.

We eventually bought chairs more closely resembling Steve's from a place back east. This company sold chairs both folding and stationery that looked identical, except for a metal arm under the seat. They were about $125.00 each. We bought two folding and two stationery and put the Newmar seats in our rafters. We'll probably put them back in when we sell.

I sold the booth and old table on Craigslist in one day for $500.00.

The chair on the left is the new chair we bought and the one on the right is the overpriced Newmar chair. If you look where the back meets the seat, you'll braces on both sides of the chair. Those would dig into your butt. They were also so wide, they made it difficult to get past the dinette when the slides were in.

The new chairs, the seat bottom folds up for storage.

The OEM chair would only fit sideways next to the table. In this photo you can see how much room we gained by using the other chair.

I guess I should have mentioned, removing the booth was pretty easy. Installing the new buffet was a matter of a few screws and a silicone bead along the wall. The buffet has great storage, even better than the booth.

We went from this...

To this.....

The buffet table was about 6" shorter than the booth table, but about 4" wider.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Nice job
SteveCrowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:22 AM   #7

great thread and some great remodeling work posted up....

from what i have been told by more than one dealer, booths are starting to make a comeback in popularity recently....tables and chairs were the rage for the last 5-7 yrs.....

we have the buffet and extendable table in our tiffin, and i like it, with all the storage (particularly for the printer and file cabinet)...but a booth is coming in the DS...wife likes a booth better, and wanted another sleeping area option as well.....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
...Read about possible wiring or plumbing issues in general, not specific to Newmar....
In general Newmar does not put plumbing or electrical in or on the dinette seats themselves.

One reason is there is no need to as the water tanks and batteries, inverters, converters, etc, are under the coach in basement compartments and the electrical panels are usually in the bathrooms or other similar locations. Another is Newmar offers freestanding and buffet table options on almost all their coaches and it does not make sense to wire to one and not the other.

You should have no trouble doing as Dutch Star Don and many others on this forum have done.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Don, Steve, amazing before and after work. Exactly what we want. This is good news for us because we now won't let a coach with a booth stop us and there certainly seems to be a lot more coaches with booths.

Thanks again and have a wonderful week.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"brands".....Disclaimer......Those are stock photos from Newmar, but they are an accurate picture of what my booth looked like and what my free standing unit looks like.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

When I was shopping for a mh, I wanted a booth. I found most used higher end dp had table and chairs. For me to lose the extra bedding would be the reason for wanting the booth. Also the extra storage under the seats is handy. The pictures all show adding a cabinet to make up extra storage. That is a good idea. Maybe someday I will not need the extra sleeping spaces and I will get a table as well.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Looks Great!!!...... would like to do the same.

How LxW of the Buffet?

Do I need to order from Newmar?

Other ordering Options?

Thanks for Info and Advice

CC
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a look in QT's 1 & 2 for my table and credenza setup.

Has the instructions you need.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the clarification Don. It will release you from any and all liability. Just kidding. It's just the wife and I so we don't need the extra sleep area and both still work so a free standing table will offer us a place to open the laptop and get the bills paid. I really like how some coaches have a expandable table but also have the storage against the wall for printers, scanners, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"brands".....Disclaimer......Those are stock photos from Newmar, but they are an accurate picture of what my booth looked like and what my free standing unit looks like.