Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #1

I want to remove the lounger from my 99 MACA... This chair sits behind the passenger seat. When I started to remove one of the nuts (there
are 4) it appears that the bolt is being pushed down into the floor rather than the nut coming up off the bolt. Also, when doing this there is no slack (looseness) in the nut/bolt as I try to loosen it. Since I can't see the bottom of the bolt I'm afraid if I keep going I'll lose the bolt permanently. Anyone have any experience with this??? Thanks.
BIll..
wilythek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #2

I want to remove the lounger from my 99 MACA... This chair sits behind the passenger seat. When I started to remove one of the nuts (there
are 4) it appears that the bolt is being pushed down into the floor rather than the nut coming up off the bolt. Also, when doing this there is no slack (looseness) in the nut/bolt as I try to loosen it. Since I can't see the bottom of the bolt I'm afraid if I keep going I'll lose the bolt permanently. Anyone have any experience with this??? Thanks.
BIll..
Old 09-17-2006, 01:40 AM   #3

Bill

Try looseing the nuts as far as you can without actually taking them off the bolt. Then have someone pick the chair up and hold it as high as they can. Then wrap some heavy string or maybe a wire tie around the bolt between the floor and the brackets on the bottom of the chair. This should prevent the bolts from falling through the hole. Then go ahead and completely remove the nuts. When you reinstall the chair, set it on the bolts, put the nuts back on and then cut the string / tie wraps out of the way.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The bolts should be sent up thru floor with washers on head in compartment below or out in floor area outside of compartment A friend will have to hold open end wrench on head while you turn nut at chair pedestal. Thats what I found on my old 99 MA.

A belated welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum, can give you some KAMRA if your interested and don't be a stranger come and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #5

007, the deal is, is that I can't find the bolts underneath the coach. And I don't need anyone to hold the bolt head with a wrench to loosen the nuts. I can loosen the nut without help, but instead of the nut coming up the threads, the bolt is being driven down into the floor. When I do this there is no wiggle in the loosened bolt/nut. The nut stays tight to the base of the chair. When I retighend the nut, the bolt comes back up through the nut. Again, the nut is always touching the base of the chair. So I'm at a loss as to what' going on.
BIll...
PS I don't understand KAMRA??
Old 09-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have two bolts on back side of chair that go down into compartment thru two iron c-chanels these two bolts on back side will have nylon locking nuts at c chanel end. The front bolts will have nylon locking nuts inside at front of chair and heads of bolts under back side of compartment outside of compartment. You will need a wrench at both ends of bolts to remove nylon locking nuts.
I gave you some KAMRA if you like I will leave it.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the helpful replies... I finally got the lounger out of the coach today. This is what I found out.

It had 4 bolts with the nylon nuts up top holding the chair down to the floor. The 4 bolts seem to be welded to a metal plate that is mounted below the floor. This plate is moveable but can't be removed. You can't see it below the coach, and when you wiggle it there is a metallic sound like the plate is mounted above metal frame work. Being the bolts are welded to the plate, there was no need for a 2nd pair of hands. The only problem I now have is that the bolts will stick up a bit above the carpeting. I am temporarily going to put padding and a piece of carpeting in the cutout where the base of the chair sat against the wood floor.

The reason I wanted to remove the chair besides the fact that IMHO was way too big for were it sat between the passenger seat and the stair well, was that as some of you know I've been complaining that my 99 MACA is about at max GVWR with very little in the coach. That chair weighs 120# and I'm replacing it with a light weight Scan. style lounger with a separate foot stool.. The combined weight of the new chair and stool weigh 37#.

I also pulled the front TV from above the dashboard, 40#. I'll be replacing that with a 23-27" LCD at about 20#. And finally, I pulled the small TV from the bedroom 24# and will be replacing that with a small LCD 9-10#. So all in all I'll have a net weight savings of about 120#. Next...???????
Bill
Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job Bill If you need some help with TV in bedroom take a look at LCD install I put in bedroom above.
It sounds like you have A Ford chassis, my 99 MA I installed air bags all around to eliminate the rear duels from rubbing the ceiling of wheel well when the coach rocked to that passenger side.
The Fords could not carry the weight of Newmar coach. Some people have had some luck with TIMBREN RUBBER SPRINGS also, if you go to "FIND" above you and type in 'air bags' you will pullup many posts on subject.