Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Removing Old TV

Hello there folks!

I have a 2000 Kountry Star and I want to take out the CRT TV...however, it seems that the enclosure was sealed with the TV inside. Am I missing something?

Near the front of the TV there are 4 screws holding down a metal plate that is attached to the bottom of the TV. I can unscrew them, but then I can't get the metal mounting plate of the TV over the wooden bottom lip of the enclosure. What's the trick?

Here is a photo of the enclosure.

Many thanks!

BamBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBoom View Post
Hello there folks!

I have a 2000 Kountry Star and I want to take out the CRT TV...however, it seems that the enclosure was sealed with the TV inside. Am I missing something?

Near the front of the TV there are 4 screws holding down a metal plate that is attached to the bottom of the TV. I can unscrew them, but then I can't get the metal mounting plate of the TV over the wooden bottom lip of the enclosure. What's the trick?

Here is a photo of the enclosure.

Many thanks!
Mine was late 99 DS but same enclosure. It comes out with some careful work on where the right screws are hidden. I don't remember enough as it was years ago but keep working carefully and you don't have to do a lot of damage to get the old one out.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZam View Post
Mine was late 99 DS but same enclosure. It comes out with some careful work on where the right screws are hidden. I don't remember enough as it was years ago but keep working carefully and you don't have to do a lot of damage to get the old one out.
Ok. Assuming there are only 4 screws in the front, I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In your cabinets either side of TV box you may find two screws through cabinet wall into wood frame that will release the frame around TV.
If not may have two buttons on bottom of box that will pop off and screws into bottom of box to release the surround frame.
The metal plate is screwed into bottom of tv and tv needs to be removed to remove.
In QT's # 3 there are many tv to LCD conversions that may have your answer also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1795901]In your cabinets either side of TV box you may find two screws through cabinet wall into wood frame that will release the frame around TV.
If not may have two buttons on bottom of box that will pop off and screws into bottom of box to release the surround frame.
The metal plate is screwed into bottom of tv and tv needs to be removed to remove.
[URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-3-a-113631.html
In QT's # 3[/URL] there are many tv to LCD conversions that may have your answer also.
Thanks! I'll look for those screws to relase the frame! That would help immensely if the frame was gone!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1795901]In your cabinets either side of TV box you may find two screws through cabinet wall into wood frame that will release the frame around TV.
[URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newmar-quick-tips-and-easy-mods-3-a-113631.html
In QT's # 3[/URL] there are many tv to LCD conversions that may have your answer also.
The above 007 info is "spot on" 2x . Just about all of them are done the same way, Fleetwood, Tiffin definitely I have done a couple.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
There are 4 deep wood screws on both sides. I'm having trouble reaching some of them and other seem to have been rounded a little...over zealous installer with an electric screwdriver. But taking them out seemes to be loosening things.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

I got tired of fighting with mine so borrowed my friends Saws-all and whacked the suckers off. Took all of two minutes, problem solved.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I got tired of fighting with mine so borrowed my friends Saws-all and whacked the suckers off. Took all of two minutes, problem solved.
Wish I could do that. The ones that are really stuck are the ones on the passenger side and their buried in there...unless taking off the switch facade will help. We'll see.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you using a #2 SQUARE DRIVE BIT?

If not, go get one- they usually don't "round out". Forget the phillips screw driver.

Good luck,
Old 11-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Are you using a #2 SQUARE DRIVE BIT? If not, go get one- they usually don't "round out". Forget the phillips screw driver. Good luck,
Ahhhhh...that me by my problem! The drive bit store I go! Many thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
When you "release" that TV, be prepared... they are heavy and tend to "front" heavy so it will want to roll out into your arms! Would recommend having help!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
When you "release" that TV, be prepared... they are heavy and tend to "front" heavy so it will want to roll out into your arms! Would recommend having help!
HAHAHA! Thanks! I'm prepared for that. I've moved my share of old school TVs.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I didn't have that "bit" of knowledge... Wish you could have seen the look on my face when that puppy rolled out and into my arms!!