Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2023, 09:24 PM   #1

removing right side mirror on Ventana

The right side mirror on my 13 Ventana LE has a lose bracket screw. I have removed the mirror arm and unplugged the wires. I can not get the painted cover off to get to the screws. Can anyone help me with removing the painted cover?
Thanks
cjorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 06:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjorg View Post
The right side mirror on my 13 Ventana LE has a lose bracket screw. I have removed the mirror arm and unplugged the wires. I can not get the painted cover off to get to the screws. Can anyone help me with removing the painted cover?
Thanks
That cover is just held on by caulk. Carefully use a knife or razor to break the bead, then it will come off. I just did a R&R on my passenger mirror. Removed everything and discovered there is a metal plate behind the fiberglass and the screws Newmar used were too short to penetrate the metal. Both of those screws were broke . I purchased SS screws one size larger and 1/8 longer. Filled the holes with dowels and glue, let it cure for a week, then pre-drilled the holes and put the new screws in. Re-caulked the cover piece on the top and sides, leaving the bottom open for water to drain out.
Spent about $35 dollars on materials. NIRVC wanted over 3K by saying the dash had to be removed, etc. While I agree it would be better to be able to thru bolt/nut everything, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze to me. I feel like my fix will last for years and if it eventually fails again, it's and easy fix to repair. It does require two people to remove the mirror.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:25 AM   #3

Above correct re caulk. Note when reinstalling skip the caulk on the bottom to allow any water intrusion to escape.
Here is a thread re mirror mounts and what I found and did to secure mine. Pics & more details included.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/tig...ds-576514.html

I accessed the backside of the mount by digging out the foam underwood on pass side. Allowed me to thrubolt the fwd side mtg bolts using a piece of fiberglass as a solid backer drilled to accept longer bolts, washers, nuts.
Working with wrenches was by feel but not too difficult.
The rear attachment were self tapping screws that catch a structural tubing but I changed mine to larger threaded by tapping the same holes drilled out for the new tap size.
Used Great Suff foam to refill the foam removed and spray painted black.
MAJOR IMPROVEMENT AFTER ABOVE
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:28 AM   #4

Thanks for your replies
I was able to get the mirror arm off with out any problem but the painted cover will not come off. I have cut the silicon with a razor blade and a knife and it still will not come off. When I wiggle, twist or pull on the cover the metal bracket it covers moves with it. I can see the 2 screws that are supposed to hold the bracket to the coach through the access hole on the bottom of the cover where I removed the bolt to the mirror arm. The rear screw is tight but the front one has come completely out unfortunately I cant get a screw driver on it due to the angle and small access hole. I will keep working on getting the cover off as I have to get this corrected.
Appreciate your help.
Chris
cjorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:46 AM   #5

The cover fits fairly snug to the bracket and I'll bet there is some caulk between the bracket & cover holding it. I'd keep working & prying to see if you can break it loose. Maybe a couple putty knives so the load is spread out and doesn't damage paint or the cover.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, ventana