Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #1

Im kicking around taking out the roadside sleeper sofa and putting in a COMFORTABLE recliner. Can the sofa be disassembled or have to go thru the windshield...not a pleasant thought!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2006, 02:17 AM   #2

Im kicking around taking out the roadside sleeper sofa and putting in a COMFORTABLE recliner. Can the sofa be disassembled or have to go thru the windshield...not a pleasant thought!!
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think I've come across anything that I could not disassemble. Putting it back together is another story.

We have two recliners and a table in place of the roadside sofa. We had an 85" sofa space to work with for the recliners.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have been told that everything except the refrigerator will go through the door... on a gasser. I have removed the sofa and the recliner rocker via the door. But, we put the sofa back as the chairs just didn't work for us. I replaced the chair with a Euro chair and foot stool from RV Surplus. It is made by Williamsburg furniture (some place in China according to the tag).
Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Funny that Williamsburg, a Virginia city rich with U.S. history now has to do with furniture in CHINA!

On the subject of removing things, I'm trying to figure out a place to put a two drawer file cabinet.
Only place I can find off the top of my head is in the big closet, but I may retrofit some of those weird depth dresser drawers for some files.
I'm thinking I could buy those wire rack folder holders and adapt them...

In keeping with the thread topic,I've even considered taking the streetside loveseat out and making it a desk combo.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:25 AM   #6

I took the couch out of my '00 Kountry Star and replaced it with 3 forward-facing captain's chair from a van conversion. People were getting car sick riding sideways. It couldn't have been my driving, as the new seating arrangement helped the problem. Anyway, the couch came loose with the removal of about 6 screws about 3" long. These were easier to get to after unbolting the armrest end panels. That also made it easier to get out the door. Silly point, but be sure to remove the cushions and mattress before trying to get it out.

I used 1/2" carriage bolts with large steel square-hole washers under the floor to hold the new seats in. If I ever had a problem, I didn't want to get hit in the head with a flying seat. (When I did have a problem, the seats bent but they didn't come loose, so it worked.)

Anyway, your couch should come out through the door. BTW, what will you do with the old couch. I could use one in my new ride.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Ken, I always figured you'd like country music but after reading of your experience with your latest coach,I'm figuring you've switched to "rock and roll"....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:27 AM   #8

I changed out our couch earlier this year. I called the couch manufacturer and found that they are all made to come apart. In my case, there were four bolts that permitted removal of the back. Then the seat / bottom with armrests easily angled through the door.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I always figured you'd like country music </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's "Kountry", with a "K", as in KSDP.