Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2022, 08:39 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Removing the slide-out peninsula

Good morning all,

I have a 2019 Ventana 4369 and I need to remove the slide-out peninsula so I can get to some of the wiring behind it. See picture below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Peninsula.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	381568

Has anyone done this? I'm looking for advice on how to remove it.

Thank you.
traveller333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller333 View Post
Good morning all,

I have a 2019 Ventana 4369 and I need to remove the slide-out peninsula so I can get to some of the wiring behind it. See picture below.

Attachment 381568

Thank you.
It appears that no one has removed their’s including me. It can’t be that difficult and probably is held in with drawer slides that are similar to regular drawer slides. Look underneath the slide out. Let us know how you got it out.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Never removed ours, but I would like to hear how someone else has... Our switch has been finicky lately. Need to get to it to troubleshoot.
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 05:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
It appears that no one has removed their’s including me. It can’t be that difficult and probably is held in with drawer slides that are similar to regular drawer slides. Look underneath the slide out. Let us know how you got it out.
I have not looked yet to see how it may be removed. I figured I would ask here first.

I will try to determine the removal process in the next few days and will report back if I figure it out.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #5

Have you removed the drawers and looked inside it?
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

SOB, but if it’s like ours, remove all the drawers. You should see the connection points and go from there.
Your drawer slides should have release levers on each side that will disengage the drawer from the slide tracks. The slide box may be heavy so use a rug or something to set the slide box on. You don’t want cracked tiles as your next project….
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #7

We have only had to get behind a couple of those. There is a bracket behind the cabinet that has to be removed to extend the island all the way. You should be able to access it be removing the cabinet drawers next to the island. You might need to pull them out of the island as well. Depending on how it was built.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
...I need to remove the slide-out peninsula so I can get to some of the wiring behind it....Has anyone done this? I'm looking for advice on how to remove it.
I have not removed it, but I spent a weekend as a contortionist attempting to fix the release mechanism that had stopped working. I talked to my rep at Newmar, and they had no advice for access, but did send me a replacement linear actuator, assuming that was the problem. Some of what I learned and did may help you.

I cut out a section of the wood panel between the drawer under the cooktop and the slideout to get partial access to the slideout cabinet, and to be able to see what was going on (see photos). There is a large metal plate at the top that hits two large magnets to hold the slideout open. That can be removed through the access opening, but as I recall, I concluded that there is no way to remove the slideout - it is assembled before the counter top goes in, and you would have to remove the counter top out to actually remove the slideout.

The linear actuator pulls a cable attached to a latch. When you hit the button under the counter, the actuator is activated, pulling the latch and releasing the slide to move. Next to the latch is a large spring that causes the slideout to move forward when the latch is released. In my case, the linear actuator turned out to be fine - the probelm was that the wiring to it had gotten entangled in the spring and pulled the connection loose on the actuator.

I played hell getting myself into the access opening to get everything straightened out, but once the wiring was fixed, it has worked fine since. I took photos while I was working on it in case I ever have to get back in there again. The photo showing the wires wrapped up in the spring are fuzzy, but you can see what was my problem.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Access Cutout.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	381631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	381632  

Name:	Magnetic Plate.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	381633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Release Button.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	381635  

Name:	Photo 4.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	381636  
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
I have not removed it, but I spent a weekend as a contortionist attempting to fix the release mechanism that had stopped working. I talked to my rep at Newmar, and they had no advice for access, but did send me a replacement linear actuator, assuming that was the problem. Some of what I learned and did may help you.

I cut out a section of the wood panel between the drawer under the cooktop and the slideout to get partial access to the slideout cabinet, and to be able to see what was going on (see photos). There is a large metal plate at the top that hits two large magnets to hold the slideout open. That can be removed through the access opening, but as I recall, I concluded that there is no way to remove the slideout - it is assembled before the counter top goes in, and you would have to remove the counter top out to actually remove the slideout.

The linear actuator pulls a cable attached to a latch. When you hit the button under the counter, the actuator is activated, pulling the latch and releasing the slide to move. Next to the latch is a large spring that causes the slideout to move forward when the latch is released. In my case, the linear actuator turned out to be fine - the probelm was that the wiring to it had gotten entangled in the spring and pulled the connection loose on the actuator.

I played hell getting myself into the access opening to get everything straightened out, but once the wiring was fixed, it has worked fine since. I took photos while I was working on it in case I ever have to get back in there again. The photo showing the wires wrapped up in the spring are fuzzy, but you can see what was my problem.

Hope this helps.
Hi pvcampbell, your explanation and pictures are a great help. Thank you for posting.

This gives me a much better understanding of how to proceed.

I will post pictures of my project once I start.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Good morning all,

Attachment 381568

Thank you.
I have accessed the area behind to run new HDMI cables by removing the drawers next to the slide-out peninsula but we don't have the dish washer.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for your experiences and advice.

In addition to asking for help in this forum, I also emailed Newmar to see what they recommend regarding the removal of the peninsula.

I received a drawing of the peninsula, which I attach below, as well as the following feedback from Newmar:

"Thank you for contacting Newmar Customer service. When it comes to technical assistance, Newmar customer service does not provide instructions on installation and repair of most items. However I did attached a print to help you visualize the build and I received some advice from service.

Option 1) if there is a switch on the cabinet end next to the sofa it can be removed to gain access to the inside of the cabinet.
Option 2) if there is not a switch the drawer to the right would need to be removed then an access hole cut into the panel between the cabinets.

Once you have access there is a block that hold the magnets mounted to the top front that needs removed. The magnets stop the cabinet from coming out."

pull out drawer.pdf

I don't have a switch on the end of the cabinet next to the sofa, so option 1 doesn't apply to my situation. I can't imagine a big enough switch which, when removed, would provide adequate enough access to the area behind the peninsula.

For option 2, I assume that the drawer in question is the one just to the right of the peninsula, between the stovetop and the dishwasher. If I had a drawer instead of the dishwasher, I could see how after removing it, you could have enough room to cut an an access hole, but with just the small drawer removed, it would be very difficult. It seems that option 2 won't work for me either.

After all that, I embarked on a voyage of exploration.

First, I removed the drawer between the stovetop & the dishwasher and also removed the stovetop, so I could better understand the access I have available without any cutting.

Name:	1 Overall.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	381870

I was hoping that the area under the stovetop would be open, but unfortunately there is a metal tray which restricts access below that.

Name:	2 Under stovetop.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	381871

Removing this metal tray would provide better access, but it is attached to some wooden brackets with 4 horizontal screws. The 2 rear screws are back against the outside wall and very difficult to reach. Even if you could reach them, there isn't enough space for even a stubby screwdriver. I guess if you were flexible enough, you could try a 90 degree screw driver attachment of some sort.

Name:	3 Under stovetop through drawer opening.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	381872

Name:	6 Attachment of stovetop pan 2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	381877

Looking through the drawer opening, you can see an already existing access hole into the area behind the peninsula.

Name:	4 Access through drawer opening 2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	381876

I used this access hole and a borescope camera to get a better view of the space and the back of the peninsula.

Name:	5 Rear of peninsula with labels.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	381874

There are two drawers in the peninsula. The top drawer does not offer any access behind it, but if you remove the bottom drawer, you will find another access point through the back of the peninsula. Kind of difficult to reach without actually removing the peninsula, but it could be useful in some situations.

Based on the picture above and the picture posted earlier by someone else, it appears that the information from Newmar is not correct. It is the metal plate that holds the peninsula from completely sliding out, not the magnets.

So, the bottom line is that if you could get to the metal plate and removed it, the peninsula should slide out of the cabinet just like a regular drawer. Keep in mind that the actuator wires will need to be disconnected before completely removing the peninsula.

In my particular case, the existing access hole at the top of the wall between the dishwasher cabinet and the peninsula cabinet will be sufficient for me to fish a cable and complete my project.
Old 12-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #12

Great work Traveller333. Awesome photos. What could possibly go wrong with that engineering masterpiece. I would have liked to see just a mechanical latch without an electric actuator and yes a removable access panel as well like they give you on the plumbing side under the sink. If it was me, I would cut out a large access hole and fab up flanges on the cut out panel to be able to screw it back in place.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's been a while since I worked on the slideout as I described on an earlier post, but I recall that after removing the plate that catches the magnets, the unit still was not removable. I don't recall what else was keeping it from being removed. You are correct about access from under the drawer stack - that's how I was able to remove and reinstall the actuator mechanism. Very tight quarters, though.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide