Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2022, 06:37 AM   #1

Removing water from top of slide

I have a 2016 King Aire. The top of the full length slide (driver side slide) is holding water on top after a rain. When I pull the slide in I am getting water down through the top of the slide into the coach and onto the furniture. I would think the water should drain off as the slide pulls in? Anyone have advise. My other smaller slides do not seem to hold water. Thank you!
600Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #2

Water should not be coming in the coach. Check to see that the seals around the slide are intact. Verify the slide is level and there are no gaps between the seal and the slide. If you can get on top look to see if there are any tears in the the topper. I have a 2014 Dutchstar that holds tons of water on that topper and we have never had water intrusion when retracting the slide.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:09 AM   #3

Does the slide have a slide topper? Is it sagged / belly'd from holding water? If so, replace it so the water sheds off.

If no topper, the top of the slide typically has a ramp that goes up towards the seals...but it points out the seals might not be sealing. Take a light at night and shine at the seals and look from the other side.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It’s actually quite common for water to be sitting on top of the slide after a storm (there’s a fair number of posts on iRV2).

Merely retract the front or rear jacks (whichever is extended more). Once that is done, the water will drain off whichever end is lower. After a few minutes, you can then continue with your closing procedures.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:22 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get on top of RV ( when safe ) with a battery operated leaf blower. While up there do a roof inspection. You can also retract slide slowly by stopping allowing the water to shed off the topper.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:23 AM   #6
Community Moderator

^^^^ this is the correct answer.

Also usually the air bags inflate such that it tilts the coach enough to cause runoff.

Airbags should be fully inflated before retracting the full wall slide anyway.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have this problem too. Our procedure is to dip the nose or rear of the coach to allow the water to run off for about 15 minutes. Then we continue with the standard departure procedure.
Wil_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:25 AM   #8

I carry a small ladder and a small battery powered leaf blower to blow any debris that falls on my slide as well as excess water before I pull in the slides. Not perfect, but it helps.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #9

I cheat a bit on retracting the slide. Bring it in a few inches at a time. Water will run off the topper front or back depending on which way you are pitched. Just don’t do it with the entry door open.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Either tilt the coach front to rear, or sometimes you can bring the slide in 6" and wait 10 seconds, bring it in another and wait 10 seconds. This gives the slide topper a chance to drain.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Either tilt the coach front to rear, or sometimes you can bring the slide in 6" and wait 10 seconds, bring it in another and wait 10 seconds. This gives the slide topper a chance to drain.
This is the way we did it.

Absolutely no need to haul a leaf blower up there!

However, no water should be entering your coach.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 03:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You don't need to climb on the roof with leaf blowers. Just dump your air/jacks and manually lift the front of the coach to drain the water off. Now follow manufactuers instructions to bring in the slides.

Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
You don't need to climb on the roof with leaf blowers. Just dump your air/jacks and manually lift the front of the coach to drain the water off. Now follow manufactuers instructions to bring in the slides.

Bill
I agree with water, but I am always worried about the debris that lands on the top of the slide. I am typically blowing off the leaves and small branches, etc. that are on top of the slide.

The water makes it stick worse, although heavy water may actually "wash" debris off when I blow the slide down.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:45 AM   #14

Thank you all for the great advise! I am definitely going to:
1. Tilt the coach forward or back with jacks to drain any excess water
2. Bring slide in slowly, stopping a couple of times along the process to let any additional water drain off.

I do use a ladder and leaf blower to get debris off before bringing slides in currently.

One more question: I have tried bringing the full wall slide in both with jacks extended (leveled) and with jacks retracted (on air bags). Both have resulted in chipped floor tile at the edge of the floor seal. The slide was just serviced and new seals within 3 months). The manufacturer recommends retracting after jacks are retracted. What do you all do? This only happens on the full wall slide (flush floor slide that drops about 2” when you extended to be flush with coach interior floor).
600Pony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water