Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 117
Repair service: More NIRVC Lewisville

I recently had some repair work done at NIRVC Lewisville, and it didn't go all that well - at first. A nut appeared to be corroded and may have required additional parts had it been turned. As parts availability was unknown, an alternate approach was recommended by the service writer. The repair was completed, the invoice paid, and I was on my way. Of course, the shortcut turned out to be a bad decision, and I was back a week later with oil dripping from the area of the nut and fitting.

My new-to-the-job service writer told me the problem was 'coincidental' (and it may have been) and said he would write up a new estimate to re-do the job with new parts, which is when my blood pressure spiked! I took a walk to calm down and ran into Eddie Braley.

If anyone on this forum doesn't know about Eddie, you should. He is the General Manager of NIRVC Lewisville and the reason the place ticks like a well-tuned clock, as well as the guy who takes care of things when there's a problem. Eddie listened to my story and assured me that "we will do the right thing...give me a few minutes to look into it." And, he did.

Eddie had the service manager inspect my coach, reviewed my original invoice, and met with the service writer. After some time, I got a phone call from the service writer asking to meet with me. The short version of the remaining story is that they had made a plan to scrap the original invoice and start over, with repairs being made as they now knew were necessary, coincidental or not.

I saw Eddie a few days later and thanked him for his part in my personal drama. He was very gracious and informative - and has won my trust as a NIRVC customer for life.

Thanks again, Eddie!
__________________
Buddy & Jeanette
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire 4519
GlampDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2,149
In my opinion, it is a sad state of affairs when we are satisfied with a repair shop after taking the coach in a second time and voicing our concern with the GM before the proper repair work is performed. Sure, they eventually fixed it, but why not do it correctly the first time?
__________________
Alpine Coach ‘05 36MDDS
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
In my opinion, it is a sad state of affairs when we are satisfied with a repair shop after taking the coach in a second time and voicing our concern with the GM before the proper repair work is performed. Sure, they eventually fixed it, but why not do it correctly the first time?
Not a sad state of affairs at all! I'm pretty sure I explained that parts availability was problem.
__________________
Buddy & Jeanette
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire 4519
GlampDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 611
Certainly, in a perfect world, all repairs would be correctly made, all sales would be perfectly fulfilled/pulled/completed, with never any need for warranty. And I agree that the better shops have a higher percentage of “done right the first time” repairs.

However, the best of us are not perfect, and the systems being repaired, and the parts used are not perfect, and in this imperfect world there will always be issues requiring follow up.

**What separates the best from all the others is how that less than perfect initial incident is corrected when brought to the attention of those handling customer service.**
__________________
Marvin (and Eileen) - Weekend RVer On A Budget
1997 34’ Gas Bounder / F53 Chassis | Towing 1996 Ford Ranger on Acme Dolly
MarvinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlampDaddy View Post
Not a sad state of affairs at all! I'm pretty sure I explained that parts availability was problem.
Your narrative stated that “parts availability was unknown”, yet a week later the repair was made with the correct parts. It isn’t terribly difficult to determine whether or not a part is available. Personally, I wouldn’t accept “unknown” from a service advisor.

Upon your return, why wasn’t the “new” service advisor adequately trained to recognize that the shop had attempted this repair a week before? They were quick to categorize it as “coincidental” and were readily to charge you again. Why did the tech force you to run it up the ladder, rather than volunteering to do it for you? What if you hadn’t run in to Eddie? Would we be reading a different story?

Again, just my opinion, but nothing in your story inspires confidence in that shop.
__________________
Alpine Coach ‘05 36MDDS
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
redbaron73's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,971
Blog Entries: 4
I own several service businesses, in the IT, hospitality, and financing industries. No matter what industry it is, service is impossible to get right the first time, 100% of the time. The weak link is always the human factor. I cannot control every transaction from every employee.

In one particular incident, a 21 year term employee of mine, who has always been the "go to person" for all internal issues had a failure in his service provided. It wasn't major, but the result was one where the customer sought out a manager to escalate the issue. The problem was the manager was less senior than the executive that had dealt with the customer.

Our policies are such that the customer comes first, and the manager did the right thing by listening to the complaint, and promised to handle it. Behind the scenes, the manager found out the issue, worked with his "boss" to come up with a solution, and then handled the solution with the customer. Customer left happy.

NIRVC is a growing company, and has lots of humans working for them. Humans will make mistakes. Anyone that expects perfection 100% of the time is going to be disappointed no matter the situation.

Perfection is a journey, not a destination.

How mistakes are handled separates the good from the bad. It is not always easy to fess up to a mistake, especially in public. The short term costs and pain are easily overcome by the trust you build by correcting your mistakes, and doing the right thing.

No issue is ever black and white. There are many shades of gray between the black and white, and the navigation of those decisions dictates the type of person you are. When you make decisions that are in the best interest of your customer, you are making the best long term decision for the company.

I have had personal experience with Eddie and the Lewisville team. The chapter of my story is not finished yet, so I am not telling the story in detail, but I will say for now that I really do value the communication and how mistakes are handled and addressed. It is very obvious that Eddie has a team of managers under him that really do care about the customer and doing the right thing.

You can not train an employee to have ethics, morality, or good judgement. It is obvious that Eddie has a checklist of requirements that includes those traits. That means more to me than how many years they have worked in the industry. Industry stuff can be learned.
__________________
2022 London Aire 4551 * 2022 GD Imagine 2800BH * 2021 RAM 3500 DRW * 2020 Wrangler
NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original)
Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #7
Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 34
I agree that it is a sad state of affairs when this happens. I have had similar incidents (yes multiple) with a different NIRVC. From green techs and service writers to telling me the repairs were done when they were not.

As I understand it, NIRVC is one of the best places. But I have to take my coach back again for items noted at the PDI that are still not done.

Sad
Daddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
LWBAZ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I own several service businesses, in the IT, hospitality, and financing industries. No matter what industry it is, service is impossible to get right the first time, 100% of the time. The weak link is always the human factor. I cannot control every transaction from every employee.

In one particular incident, a 21 year term employee of mine, who has always been the "go to person" for all internal issues had a failure in his service provided. It wasn't major, but the result was one where the customer sought out a manager to escalate the issue. The problem was the manager was less senior than the executive that had dealt with the customer.

Our policies are such that the customer comes first, and the manager did the right thing by listening to the complaint, and promised to handle it. Behind the scenes, the manager found out the issue, worked with his "boss" to come up with a solution, and then handled the solution with the customer. Customer left happy.

NIRVC is a growing company, and has lots of humans working for them. Humans will make mistakes. Anyone that expects perfection 100% of the time is going to be disappointed no matter the situation.

Perfection is a journey, not a destination.

How mistakes are handled separates the good from the bad. It is not always easy to fess up to a mistake, especially in public. The short term costs and pain are easily overcome by the trust you build by correcting your mistakes, and doing the right thing.

No issue is ever black and white. There are many shades of gray between the black and white, and the navigation of those decisions dictates the type of person you are. When you make decisions that are in the best interest of your customer, you are making the best long term decision for the company.

I have had personal experience with Eddie and the Lewisville team. The chapter of my story is not finished yet, so I am not telling the story in detail, but I will say for now that I really do value the communication and how mistakes are handled and addressed. It is very obvious that Eddie has a team of managers under him that really do care about the customer and doing the right thing.

You can not train an employee to have ethics, morality, or good judgement. It is obvious that Eddie has a checklist of requirements that includes those traits. That means more to me than how many years they have worked in the industry. Industry stuff can be learned.
Excellent post R.B.

Eddie Braley (GM at the Dallas facility) is one of the first employees Brett Davis hired when he started National Indoor RV Centers. Todd Springs (GM at the Atlanta facility) was another. And there was this young lady named Angie something-or-another.

In my experience, all three of those individuals are as good as they come at what they do. Yes, it would be nice if every single NIRVC team member was as talented as they are, but people that good aren't easy to find.

The best employees score high on two scales - aptitude and attitude. Aptitude can be taught. Attitude is a tougher hill to climb if it isn't there to begin with.
__________________
Larry & Amy Beckner
Scottsdale, AZ
2022 Newmar Super Star 4061
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45B
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Granite17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 711
We spent last week at NIRVC Lewisville having them due 12,000 mile maintenance and a list of 8 or so warranty items on our 2022 LA.

This certainly is not the first service experience and not the first coach we have purchased from them.
We use them for all maintenance and repairs and have for several years.
We continue to go back because we know they will take care of us and do it right.

When your hanging around all week, basically you are living there, your able to observe the operation and interactions of all the employees .

All I can say is this operation is the real deal !
The teamwork between employees, the respect they show each other and the genuine respect and care they show towards the customer is truly amazing.
Eddie Braley is the pulse of this operation and a terrific leader!

They have developed a culture based on doing the right thing and treating customers honestly and with respect.

There is no service business that everything goes perfectly all of the time.
But, as others have stated it’s how problems are addressed that’s important.
NIRVC is working hard to change the RV sales and service industry for the better!
__________________
John, Sharon & (Luna)-Blk.Tri.Australian Sheppard
2022 Newmar LA 4551, 2019 DS4018 Sold
21' Tahoe Z71, Demco base, Avail bar, Air Force 1.
Granite17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Dieselgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA & FL
Posts: 1,326
Nothing that is man made is perfect. For my two cents they were able to correct the problem. They made good for the original charge. Sounds like a good deal to me. I have an issue spending a thousand dollars on a problem that continues and is never corrected.
Dieselgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 2,149
Maybe I’m reading a different story on my screen.

Sure, nobody is perfect, no service shop is perfect. Pretty sure that no one on this thread has suggested anything to the contrary. There’s a lot of chat about how the process of resolving a dispute separates the good shops from the bad shops.

To that point, read the first post again. There are some details missing, however, the way it reads on my screen is that the shop recommended a “short cut” repair on something that sounds about as complicated as replacing an oil drain plug. We haven’t been informed as to the exact work that was performed, however we know that the half measures were taken due to parts availability being “unknown”. Perhaps the customer agreed to this shortcut repair and accepted the possibility of failure without warranty. That repair failed within a week and was declared a “bad decision” by the OP.

Now, the shop was prepared to make a proper repair, with correct parts that were suddenly available and they intended to charge the customer for this repair. So we’re told. This development upset the OP to a degree that it became necessary to take “a walk to calm down”. By chance, the OP happened to cross paths with the GM, who may have contemplated calling 911, and ultimately stepped in to resolve the dispute. Did I miss anything?

If that sort of experience prompts an individual to check the 5-star box on a customer satisfaction survey, well, that individual is satisfied with a much lower standard than this individual.
__________________
Alpine Coach ‘05 36MDDS
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:10 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Granite17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Maybe I’m reading a different story on my screen.

Sure, nobody is perfect, no service shop is perfect. Pretty sure that no one on this thread has suggested anything to the contrary. There’s a lot of chat about how the process of resolving a dispute separates the good shops from the bad shops.

To that point, read the first post again. There are some details missing, however, the way it reads on my screen is that the shop recommended a “short cut” repair on something that sounds about as complicated as replacing an oil drain plug. We haven’t been informed as to the exact work that was performed, however we know that the half measures were taken due to parts availability being “unknown”. Perhaps the customer agreed to this shortcut repair and accepted the possibility of failure without warranty. That repair failed within a week and was declared a “bad decision” by the OP.

Now, the shop was prepared to make a proper repair, with correct parts that were suddenly available and they intended to charge the customer for this repair. So we’re told. This development upset the OP to a degree that it became necessary to take “a walk to calm down”. By chance, the OP happened to cross paths with the GM, who may have contemplated calling 911, and ultimately stepped in to resolve the dispute. Did I miss anything?

If that sort of experience prompts an individual to check the 5-star box on a customer satisfaction survey, well, that individual is satisfied with a much lower standard than this individual.

There may be some details missing and we certainly do not know if the OP was presented with options on the repair. I’m guessing yes and they agreed. It certainly wasn’t a miracle they came across the GM, Eddie is always available to help a customer .

I’m not sure what type of RV you own or dealerships you frequent, I believe were stating NIRVC works hard to do it right and when not, make it right!

In the RV repair business today, that’s rare!
__________________
John, Sharon & (Luna)-Blk.Tri.Australian Sheppard
2022 Newmar LA 4551, 2019 DS4018 Sold
21' Tahoe Z71, Demco base, Avail bar, Air Force 1.
Granite17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #13
Member
 
Wil_H's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 53
I couldn't agree more that NIRVC goes the extra mile to see that customers are happy and that service and repairs are done properly.

We were just at the Atlanta facility last week for service and some repairs to an out or warranty coach. Everything was done on the service and repair work, but a new problem was found. Dan Phillips and his team stepped up to the plate and took care of the issue immediately. They had to find an obscure part, have it over-nighted to their facility, and then install it. From the technician to the service advisor, to the general manager, everyone was congenial, prompt, and professional.

We are certainly NIRVC customers for life.
__________________
Wil, Donna, and Daisy
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4081 (Freightliner)
2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500 4x4
Wil_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 05:23 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 117
About the original post: It had one purpose only, and that was to recognize Eddie Braley for the awesome general manager that he is. Details of the repair were intentionally not posted. I'm not looking for advice, criticism, attaboys or cynical judgement...just wanted to make a positive statement about the guy who makes the wheels turn in Lewisville. If I gave too many details, my apologies, but it doesn't really matter what broke or what went awry with the repair. Eddie stepped up and made my life better with his actions and I am appreciative.

Thanks again, Eddie!
__________________
Buddy & Jeanette
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire 4519
GlampDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, repair, service



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIRVC - Lewisville, Tx consignment racer0624 Newmar Owner's Forum 70 05-13-2022 09:33 PM
Advice for 1st trip to NIRVC Lewisville racer0624 Newmar Owner's Forum 11 04-17-2022 10:27 AM
Huge thanks to NIRVC Lewisville GCSuper Newmar Owner's Forum 4 07-21-2020 09:47 AM
NIRVC Lewisville - GREAT Service Experience jd956jd956 Newmar Owner's Forum 2 08-16-2017 01:01 AM
NIRVC Lewisville Service - Have you been there? jd956jd956 Newmar Owner's Forum 8 07-27-2017 09:14 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.