Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

Replace 76" sleeper couch with table, storage in Ventana 40' ?

We don't have guests in our Ventana 4037. We want to replace a 76" sleeper couch behind the front passenger seat with a desk and drawers or a side out table and drawers like the ones we got at Brad & Hall in Elkhart, IN, to replace a dinette.

Anyone done this? I think there is an obstruction on the slide under the couch that would make a slide out table difficult, but I'm not sure?

We're in Denver and would like to find someone there to do the job. Probably any cabinet maker/hobbyist could do it. But I'd like some expert input, please.

tia
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are also thinking of replacing our love seat on the passenger side of our rig with a desk. We are trying to decide whether it is the right move as well. We had someone measure it at the Perry FMCA rally and are waiting on the estimate. Our passenger side couch is only about 60 inches wide...
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
We are also thinking of replacing our love seat on the passenger side of our rig with a desk. We are trying to decide whether it is the right move as well. We had someone measure it at the Perry FMCA rally and are waiting on the estimate. Our passenger side couch is only about 60 inches wide...
It's not the width that would be an issue to me, that space would be ideal for a desk. The problem is the slide motor area causing the bump up box. You wouldn't be able to extend your feet comfortably I don't think. I saw someone do this when I was at Newmar, they had a color matched (sorta) desk installed. All fine except the foot issue to me.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
It's not the width that would be an issue to me, that space would be ideal for a desk. The problem is the slide motor area causing the bump up box. You wouldn't be able to extend your feet comfortably I don't think. I saw someone do this when I was at Newmar, they had a color matched (sorta) desk installed. All fine except the foot issue to me.
You make a great point....as the slide “bump” is further out then I suspected...about 28 inches. But it is shaped like a U and has an 18inch gap in the middle where we would put the foot well. The tentative plan (if we go forward) is to put the chair in the middle like normal and I would have to rest my feet on the bump. But the foot well would go all the way back to the televator so it should be deep enough to stretch. I figure it would be better than working at the table (which we have to clear for meals). DW could also use the desk for crafts and my son (autistic) could use it for his drawing, etc.

And it would provide a few more inches of space when the slides were in...

We are waiting on the quote from Wood Design/RV interiors. Their work looks great. And about a mile or two from Newmars new service building so we would have to drive to Nappanee to get it installed.
RV Desks - RV Wood Design
richpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgot about that. I installed a pioneer subwoofer in there
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
You make a great point....as the slide “bump” is further out then I suspected...about 28 inches. But it is shaped like a U and has an 18inch gap in the middle where we would put the foot well. The tentative plan (if we go forward) is to put the chair in the middle like normal and I would have to rest my feet on the bump. But the foot well would go all the way back to the televator so it should be deep enough to stretch. I figure it would be better than working at the table (which we have to clear for meals). DW could also use the desk for crafts and my son (autistic) could use it for his drawing, etc.

And it would provide a few more inches of space when the slides were in...

We are waiting on the quote from Wood Design/RV interiors. Their work looks great. And about a mile or two from Newmars new service building so we would have to drive to Nappanee to get it installed.
RV Desks - RV Wood Design
We’re waiting for a quote from Brad & Hall, which is near Newmar.

Our 30” x 74” top would be the desk where I’d put my computers, monitors, iPads and notebook. I would use a folding chair in the middle. My relatively short legs should fit. We would put a couple of drawers on the right for the kitchen—-pans, etc. And one deep and 1
shallow drawers on left for a printer, etc.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldedit View Post
----
Anyone done this? I think there is an obstruction on the slide under the couch that would make a slide out table difficult, but I'm not sure?

We're in Denver and would like to find someone there to do the job. Probably any cabinet maker/hobbyist could do it. But I'd like some expert input, please.

tia

We had the curb side couch deleted as a special including the mounting brackets for the couch. After delivery we took it to the company in Oregon to have a desk built as well as a few other changes including replacing the laptop slide-out laptop shelf at the dinette with a drawer and a cabinet in the bedroom. The desk has file drawers, a laptop and printer slide-out trays, and 2 additional drawers.

There is a raised floor under the couch approx 4" tall. Our desk is mounted on the top of the raised floor.

Here is a couple pictures if they attach properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_152304 (1).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	239981   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180619_152344 (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	239982  

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #8

Ken, that is a really good looking mod!

Our current CG neighbor did a similar modification except he didn't some out as far with drawers and put an electric fireplace in the center. Your and his looks like it would "open" up the living area better also.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, storage, vent, ventana