Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
WTB

Replace Converter/Inverter

Want to change my inverter to pure sine wave. Been told by Newmar that I would have to rewire and change the panel in the front. Has anyone done this? Is it something a DIY can do? What was the cost? What make and model of converter/inverter would you recommend?
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
None of this is difficult or complicated. The response from Newmar is pretty vague and probably from a CYA perspective. List your coach, current inverter (stock?) and we’ll take it from there.

There are several here that can guide you through it. Also you should list your anticipated power needs so you can be sure you are upgrading to the right products. For starters, your converter is probably fine as is and it sounds like you just want more/clean power.

As an example my little bay star came with an essentially useless 600w inverter wired to run a couple outlets and the tv’s. Very simple process to upgrade and then power up whatever you want to run off the new inverter. My original inverter is now serving as nothing but a junction box, and only that because it was convenient.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
WTB

Replace Converter/Inverter

The coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star. The current converter/inverter is the stock unit, I believe it is a Xantrex 2000 watt. Looking at the sub panel for the current inverter it currently powers a light (?) and appliance (?) a residential refrigerator and the microwave. Unfortunately the TV and Satellite Antenna are not on it. Wish they were. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTB View Post
The coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star. The current converter/inverter is the stock unit, I believe it is a Xantrex 2000 watt. Looking at the sub panel for the current inverter it currently powers a light (?) and appliance (?) a residential refrigerator and the microwave. Unfortunately the TV and Satellite Antenna are not on it. Wish they were. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Here is what I know. If you replace the Xantrex with a different brand chances are the new units are operating the remote on a ethernet network. Most older units are using the silver satin 22ga phone lines with rj14 jacks on them. Since ethernet (cat 5-6) uses four wires to transmit and receive it may be possible to replace the RJ14 with RJ45 jacks using pins 1-2-3-6 straight through. For that short distance it should work, if not wireless would be the way to go but it would be a little more expensive.

I have a damaged Xantrex 2000 watt. I need spare parts. If you decide to replace your unit I may be interested in yours for the parts. Let me know.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fefanatic View Post
Here is what I know. If you replace the Xantrex with a different brand chances are the new units are operating the remote on a ethernet network. Most older units are using the silver satin 22ga phone lines with rj14 jacks on them. Since ethernet (cat 5-6) uses four wires to transmit and receive it may be possible to replace the RJ14 with RJ45 jacks using pins 1-2-3-6 straight through. For that short distance it should work, if not wireless would be the way to go but it would be a little more expensive.

I have a damaged Xantrex 2000 watt. I need spare parts. If you decide to replace your unit I may be interested in yours for the parts. Let me know.
What parts and what exact model?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Need the exact model number of your existing unit. For example, of you have a xantrex 458 series - Magnum has a document with provides a cross match table model to model, remote cable needs, remote panel mounting, etc.

I recently upgraded from a xantrex to magnum and it was nearly plug and play.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Want to change my inverter to pure sine wave. Been told by Newmar that I would have to rewire and change the panel in the front. Has anyone done this? Is it something a DIY can do? What was the cost? What make and model of converter/inverter would you recommend?
Ok so the “panel” and wiring you are talking about is the inverter control panel, correct?

Quote:
Powering the tv or any 110v circuit should be a simple matter of opening the breaker panel and relocating breakers according to which you want powered by what. If you’re not sure post a pic of your breakers with the cover off.

As to which inverter, and the remote panel, the brands of choice are Magnum, Victron, and Outback (Not in any specific order- all are good) for the mobile environment.

If you can’t or don’t want to run new wire for the control panel, I’d call Inverter Supply or Randy at best converter.com, tell them what you have, what you want, and act accordingly. They’ll have a product that will work for you.

BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

https://www.invertersupply.com/
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Back in 2005, most TV's were still CRT (tube) and many didn't work all that well on modified sine-wave AC power. But most of the current flat-screen digital TV's work just fine on modified sine-wave power.

So, if your existing 2000 watt Xantrex works -- I think you'd be better off updating your TV and satellite receiver -- and then wiring the duplex AC outlets that feed your TV and satellite to the original inverter.

You'll have to re-wire the duplex outlet that feeds your TV and receiver anyway if you install a new pure sine-wave inverter.

I can't speak for your 2005 Kountry Star, but our 2008 KSDP came with a Maxim inverter. Ours came with heavy CRT TV's, but the previous owner switched them out with nice large and much lighter-weight flat-screen L.E.D. monitors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #9

X2 on the Magnum.
What model on your Xantrex 458? Model number on left side of inverter about mid center at the bottom.

The remote panel on the Magnum will work with your existing wiring.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
What parts and what exact model?
Mine is a 2012RV. It has a damaged low voltage transformer on the control board. It won't detect ac power and switch. It does work in inverter mode. That's how mine was running when I purchased the unit. I can still use it I just can't get switched to shore power when plugged into AC.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #11

I have a functional control board out of my 81-2022-12. I don't see any low voltage transformers.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I have a functional control board out of my 81-2022-12. I don't see any low voltage transformers.
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0454.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	279915
Old 03-31-2020, 09:04 PM   #13

Different model than mine. Yours not surface mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200326_162833.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	279955  

Tags
ace, converter, inverter, replace