Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #1

Replaced K3 Chassis Batteries with Northstars

They wern’t cheap, but wow, what a difference. Much heavier than the originals and engine seems to start with less effort now.

For me, it was more about piece of mind knowing I have new, high quality batteries in there. Too many stories about the OEM’s failing for no apparent reason way too soon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	472.1 KB
ID:	276612
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 08:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Jeff - Be sure to check the charging rate for the chassis batteries on your coach. AGM's like a slow rate of charge and may be damaged by a higher rate. Spartan set up the charging of the chassis batteries with lead acid wet cells in mind. You may need to modify the charging.

Tom
Old 02-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Hi Jeff - Be sure to check the charging rate for the chassis batteries on your coach. AGM's like a slow rate of charge and may be damaged by a higher rate. Spartan set up the charging of the chassis batteries with lead acid wet cells in mind. You may need to modify the charging.

Tom

Thanks for the info. Can this be changed through Silverleaf?
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The charger in the MADP is already configured for AGM as the house batteries are AGM.

The only other charging of the chassis batteries would be via the alternator, and to my knowledge there’s no configuration to be done there, but I’m by no means an expert.

I too have changed my chassis batteries to the NorthStar AGM.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:56 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Tom

Not all AGM’s like slow charge..... LifeLine says this about it’s batteries ....
“The charging current during the Bulk stage should be set as high as practical; higher current levels mean faster recharge time and less time for the plates to become sulfated. Due to the low impedance design, Lifeline[emoji768] batteries can tolerate in-rush current levels as high as 5C (500A for a 100Ah battery).”
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #6

One of AGM batteries attrubutes is faster recharging.

What they don't tolerate is high voltages, like equalization voltages above 14.7 volts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
They wern’t cheap, but wow, what a difference. Much heavier than the originals and engine seems to start with less effort now.

For me, it was more about piece of mind knowing I have new, high quality batteries in there. Too many stories about the OEM’s failing for no apparent reason way too soon.

Attachment 276612

So have you made any changes since you have installed the AGM batteries? I am looking to upgrade soon..........
50sbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
I looked at their website and for me it was hard to determine which battery was good for what I was looking for. Do you see any batteries on their site that is good for chassis battery replacement? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replaced K3 Chassis Batteries with Northstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sbuckeye View Post
So have you made any changes since you have installed the AGM batteries? I am looking to upgrade soon..........

The only battery related change that I have made since switching the the NorthStar AGM batteries is the installation of a smart switch to enable the charge bridge to be activated outside of the SilverLeaf system. The coach's parasitic draw seems to be high and I wanted to be able to enable the charge bridge at times when SilverLeaf doesn't normally do so. For instance, when I'm bookdocking and running the generator before going to bed, SilverLeaf would only enable the charge bridge if the chassis battery voltage was below 12.5V. Since I was running the generator, I wanted to take advantage of the available power and charge the chassis battery too.

PM me if you would like more info on this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfg9585 View Post
I looked at their website and for me it was hard to determine which battery was good for what I was looking for. Do you see any batteries on their site that is good for chassis battery replacement? Thanks!

The late model Spartan chassis have Group 31 batteries, and thus folks have installed the NorthStar NSB-AGM31 batteries.

Tags
ace, batteries, chassis, replace