Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Replacement house Agm batteries.

Hi my house batteries are dead and I need replacements. Recommendations? 2017 DSDP.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #2

Lifeline Battery, they're very expensive but worth the money
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-fishers View Post
Hi my house batteries are dead and I need replacements. Recommendations? 2017 DSDP.
Hi Fishers
If you don't mind me asking what happened? It looks like you have a 2017 as per your signature. Have you had a tech check them out?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Hi Fishers
If you don't mind me asking what happened? It looks like you have a 2017 as per your signature. Have you had a tech check them out?

X2 Just because they are dead does not mean you need to replace them.

Their are some well informed people on this Forum I would be happy to recommend some, more info please?
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #5

I recently replaced my batteries... All four were toast. After pricing around the best price I could find was at Advanced Auto parts. If you price them on line you will get a 20 percent discount.. I went to the local store. I told them about the discount which they were familiar with and gave the discount to me at the store. They even installed the batteries for free. It saved me a lot of bucks with the batteries and installation. CW and others get top dollar and charge you to install the batteries. They were so good I even changed out the chassis batteries with the discount.
One word of warning. If they are the huge commercial batteries, the warranty is one year. It seems every where I called they were all the same. 1 year warranty. They said the warranty is short because its a commercial battery. Go figure..
tanman32225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:48 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
Lifeline Battery, they're very expensive but worth the money
Old 05-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

I bought one of these recently. Good price and reviews. Though I don't currently have a rig...
Van Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Duracell ( East Penn manufactures them ) are at many Sam's Club locations. I recent;y bought 8 GC-2 AGM's for about $170 each.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lifeline AGMs are the only AGMs that I have seen that accept huge charge currents. The others are along the same lines as flooded lead acid batteries... C/10... this makes you cut back your charger...when you could be charging Lifelines at full 100% charger output.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Hi Fishers
I don't know what happened I have been quite cautious about turning off the inverter and the battery disconnect but I must have left the inverter on. Went out and the magnum panel showed "dead battery" and then "low battery" and about 4v. I have tried to charge them but I can only get the charge up to 59% or 12v and then that falls back to dead...I guess I'll have to suck it up and get new. Since there are few battery places that can accommodate the 43' coach I'll have to do it myself.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
By the way for the lifeline or others what is the model number as I guess in batteries size matters.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Best to match your camping style to the battery type. Lots of boon docking and off grid time? Then the Lifeline Batteries will support the coach electrical load without much fuss. Or do you mostly camp with shore power available and maybe a night or two on the road while in between destinations? If so then lower cost Duracell GC2 batteries would be a better fit.

I'm in the second group but with a very simple coach that has a small electrical load on the inverter with a 10 cu ft residential fridge. Two GC2's work very well keeping the fridge going during a parking lot boondock with enough remaining power in the morning to get a couple of cups of coffee from the Keurig before hitting the road. With a bigger fridge and 4 batteries might be a better fit.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
fishers -
We too were in a similar situation a year ago, with our 2015 DSDP 4369. Our Discover AGM batteries were failing. Two of the eight were measuring significantly lower voltage, and these were dragging down the overall performance of our battery bank. In less than 20 months, we went from ~24 hours runtime to less than 4. Called Discover, and no assistance, despite their 25% failure rate. Their recommendation was to replace all 8 batteries. Think we went with Discover again???

As Sweetbriar said, match your batteries to your RV lifestyle. We occasionally boondock for several days, and wanted to maximize our battery capacity. We opted for Lifeline batteries. As the 4369 has ample vertical clearance for taller batteries, we chose the Lifeline GPL-6CT, 6 volt AGM, which provides 1200 amp-hour capacity for the bank of 8. This rating is approximately 50% more capacity than the standard AGM batteries.

These GPL-6CT are neither short (13" tall), light-weight (93 pounds), nor inexpensive (just short of $375 each, delivered). We get an honest 600 amp hours of battery life before discharging them to 50%. Depending on the load, that easily gives us 24 hours of battery life without a recharge. We freely use the microwave, hair dryer and coffee maker whilst inverting. If we don't change coaches, we plan to add solar.

Along with the battery replacement, we re-configured the wiring of the battery bank (for more efficiiency), and added the Magnum BMK, which allows us to manage the batteries base on State Of Charge, not voltage - both distinct advantages.

We did extensive research, and with the help of others on IRV2, we found and purchased from Centex Batteries in Bastrop Texas. Mark (512-308-9002) is extremely knowledgeable and patient. As we're full-timers, we place a premium on reliability, the primary reason we chose Lifeline.
zalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all of the responses. I decided to bite the bullet and ordered the lifeline batteries. Didn't go with the taller and more expensive but went for the GPL-4CT. Found them for just over $300 with free shipping. Going to be fun (not) installing them. I did see a good you tube video on replacing a bank like mine and will follow the tips carefully.

Jeff

Tags
ace, batteries, replace, replacement