Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #1

I was dreading the job of replacing the TVs in our 04 DSDP, but with February approaching, making the switch in the warmth of summer seemed like the best approach. The project actually turned out to be fairly easy and one which anyone with moderate skills can do. I replaced the front TV with a 32" LCD and the rear with a 26" LCD. I measured the cabinet in advance to match the available space with the new TV dimensions. They both fit in the old cabinet and look like a factory install. In addition to losing 140 lbs total weight, we have extra space for my wife's shoes. I have posted a few photos of this switch if you're interested in giving this a try.
Photos of TV Installations

Podcasting the RV Lifestyle
RV Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

I was dreading the job of replacing the TVs in our 04 DSDP, but with February approaching, making the switch in the warmth of summer seemed like the best approach. The project actually turned out to be fairly easy and one which anyone with moderate skills can do. I replaced the front TV with a 32" LCD and the rear with a 26" LCD. I measured the cabinet in advance to match the available space with the new TV dimensions. They both fit in the old cabinet and look like a factory install. In addition to losing 140 lbs total weight, we have extra space for my wife's shoes. I have posted a few photos of this switch if you're interested in giving this a try.
Photos of TV Installations

Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Great looking job!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #4

Ken,
A question for you as I'm about to replace the front 26" sony tv in my Ventana. How did you remove the wood frame and also which make/model tv did you choose?
thanks,
Gary
'07VTDP
weinerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #5

Could you post a picture of the new, front, 32" TV in place? I also have a 2004 DSDP. When I measured for a 32" set, up front, it looked to me that the side cabinet doors wouldn't have enough room to swing open. Did you alter the front TV cabinet so the new TV would sit further forward? I also would like to know the model TV you installed.
Thanks for the step by step and pictures.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A question for you as I'm about to replace the front 26" sony tv in my Ventana. How did you remove the wood frame and also which make/model tv did you choose?
thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This worried me too - The 32" LCDs will allow both cabinets to be opened with the TV in place. I don't my measurements at hand, but I remember the space between cabinets to be 32". The new TV fit OUTSIDE the old cabinet and overflows by about an inch on both sides. This looks OK and covers up the hole. Our TV is not quite tall enough to completely cover the old cabinet so we are making a spacer to make it look finished. The TV mounting arm allows the TV to move if it is not centered exactly in the cabinet and is hit by one of the doors while be opened. I used the 32" Visio from Walmart (and the 26" Visio).

If you listen to our podcast (on the web link), I describe the installation. The front wooden frame around the old TV was removed by taking out two screws on the botton under the vinyl wrap and two screws inside the adjacent cabinets behind the doors. Once removed the frame was easily removed.
Sorry I don't have a finished photo at the moment - the RV is back in storage. I will get one up on the web site in the next couple of weeks.
I hopes this helps complete you TV swap out.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #7

Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful.
Tom

Old 07-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #8

Nice job on the installation.
YOU were lucky, you've got a newer coach and had more room to work with. Last year I installed a 26" HDLCD in place of our old tv. However, since our 2000 MADP only came with a 19" tv, it was more of a "challenge". I mounted a 2x8 inside the cabinet and added a wallmount to it. Then the tv hangs on the outside lip of the old cabinet. Unfortunately, I didn't do pic's of the install. I was limited to a 26" due to the cabinet doors as well. I ended up with 1/8" clearance on both sides.
We've driven several thousand miles since the install with no ill effects. And we LOVE the new tv's. Oh yea, had to install one in the bedroom as well. Bought a small one that fit inside the cabinet for that one. Much easier.

Toad: Jeep Liberty
Mo Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #9

For those of you still interested in this topic, this project is now completed and new photos and video have been posted. New TVs are operating well using the standard antenna for both analogue and digital signals currently offered by most channels. For those interest in making the switch to digital by using a converter box, our Wal-Mart has stacks of converters for $49 - or $9 with the use of the coupon.

http://tinyurl.com/5k7jfo

Ken, the RV Navigator

Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #10

Ken,
I see the icon for the short TV installation video, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Tom

Old 08-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ken,
I see the icon for the short TV installation video, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a Quicktime movie so requires quicktime to be installed. This is free download from Apple (of course it works cross platform) at
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/

Once installed the movie should play fine but give a few seconds to start downloading before it starts.