Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Replacing headlight bulbs

I know it sounds weird but I would like to switch my headlight bulbs to get a whiter light with better visibility. Is it as simple as getting aftermarket Sylvanias? Any issues with the CANBUS system switching the bulbs out?

2015 LADP
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

All I know is my headlights cost $550 to replace from Hella.
Amazing.
One of mine went out this summer, I called Winnie and they covered it even though I was 16 months out on the headlight warranty.
Thank you Winnebago!
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:43 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Headlights

If it is just a bulb replacement, you can switch to LED. That is what I did.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Something to think about....your current lenses are most likely setup for incandescent bulbs, not LED or HID. If you look into your lens, there is a tripod shaped unit inside the lens, with a cone shaped metal end. This keeps your current bulbs from blinding anyone. It also blocks any other kind of bulbs like HID or LED.

If you look at LED lights that come on new cars, they use a "fisheye" shaped projection lens, like a magnifying glass. It concentrates and "projects" the light out, giving you very bright lights. If you change to LED in your current lenses, you'll typically get a brighter light directly in front of the coach, like in the trees and walls and houses nearby. The reason for this, the brighter light of the LED is spattered by your lenses, as they're not designed to project it. The light just bounces off of the chrome reflectors inside the lens.

So.....you'll look at the lights and they'll look brighter and when you drive by low hanging trees, they'll light up better, but the light down the road, where you really want to see won't be improved. You'll still be overdriving your lights at 60mph -65mph.

There are a couple of solutions. One you can change your lenses. My coach uses the lenses from a Dodge Challenger. You can order those lenses in three quality levels. One is designed for incandescent bulbs, low end Challenger, one is designed for LED and one is designed for HID. If we drove more at night, I would change our lenses.

Years ago, I went on a mission to improve the lights on my 2005 Monaco Diplomat. Monaco was using Oldsmobile Chinese knock off lenses. I replaced them with GM OEM lenses, increased the wiring size, and added ceramic sockets with quality Phillips bulbs. The improvement was just okay. Part of my project also included changing out the lower driving lights. I replaced the cheap driving lights with Hella driving lights. That was my BEST improvement. I adjusted them to shine low and way down the road and I finally had good lighting for night time driving.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:27 PM   #5

Just replaced my bulbs on our 2019 New Aire. So much better. Here’s an article that might help.

http://rotory.com/coach/lights/

Chuck
SeeAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headlight, light