Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #15

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To replace flooded with AGM, REV has told me that the Magnum inverter needs to know what brand the AGM batteries are so I know how to set the inverter... AGM 1 or AGM 2. Has anyone done this? Did you find a listing of what mfr is 1 or 2? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2022, 10:22 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janna View Post
To replace flooded with AGM, REV has told me that the Magnum inverter needs to know what brand the AGM batteries are so I know how to set the inverter... AGM 1 or AGM 2. Has anyone done this? Did you find a listing of what mfr is 1 or 2? Thanks!
AGM1 is for Lifeline AGM batteries only and if a newer Magnum controller it will be accurate. On an older controller the float voltage will be off by 0.2v. AGM2 is for all other AGM battery manufacturers and will be close for most. With Custom battery type you can set the voltages to exactly what the battery manufacturer recommends.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 11:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I was trying to get my batteries in MD, but after waiting for them to get their shipment, they told me that they received fewer than they had planned and after filling backorders they only had 4 remaining.

I decided to order online from Battery Guys. They were very responsive to my inquires and shipped the batteries the first business day after ordering. They are scheduled to arrive from AZ on Monday.
Battery Guys is the retail arm of a battery dealership here in the Phoenix area with which I've done business for years. First-rate people who are sincerely committed to customer satisfaction and quality products.

HIGHLY recommended!
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:59 PM   #18

I'm getting ready to change mine out as well. I need to pull the battery tray and clean up / repaint the compartment. I'm planning on using a spray-on bedliner for the tray, I have read some people prefer PR-15.

I would like to replace the lead/acid cells with AGM, but I can get GC-2 wet cells at Costco for $99 vs $250 (cheapest I can find) AGM. I can check wet cells a long time for $1000 I'll have to look into the auto level system.
Old 07-22-2022, 02:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slolane View Post
I'm getting ready to change mine out as well. I need to pull the battery tray and clean up / repaint the compartment. I'm planning on using a spray-on bedliner for the tray, I have read some people prefer PR-15.

I would like to replace the lead/acid cells with AGM, but I can get GC-2 wet cells at Costco for $99 vs $250 (cheapest I can find) AGM. I can check wet cells a long time for $1000 I'll have to look into the auto level system.
To each is own, and I mean that sincerely.

That said, here's my take:

From a price/performance standpoint, you can't beat flooded-cell deep-cycle batteries. That is their one and only advantage over AGM or lithium batteries.

I switched to AGM 15 years ago and have never looked back. And I haven't had to pull any battery trays, clean up/repaint any battery compartments, buy & install any electrolyte leveling systems, or replace any items of clothing due to battery acid eating them up.

Worth it to me, but no slight intended to anyone who sees it differently.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:45 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I have (8) Lifeline 4CT’S available, contact me via PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:19 PM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
Just replaced all my old (2010) AGMs with 8 new Crown AGMs 120 amph. Took a PIC of the original wiring. Pulled all cables and wire brushed each with a rotary brush in my drill mtr, looked brand new. Installed NEW batteries, reattached cables, from the PIC. Found out new batteries connection studs were different from old. Went to the Crown distributor where i had purchased them from. Showed the boss the old jumpers, he had one of his crew go make me 4 new ones--problem solved... NO xtra cost. Super people, great service!! AGMs only way to go, NO maint. NO off gassing.

Jim 75 2012 MADP 4336 toading a 2018 F-150 CC4wd
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:08 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
From a price/performance standpoint, you can't beat flooded-cell deep-cycle batteries. That is their one and only advantage over AGM or lithium batteries.

I switched to AGM 15 years ago and have never looked back. And I haven't had to pull any battery trays, clean up/repaint any battery compartments, buy & install any electrolyte leveling systems, or replace any items of clothing due to battery acid eating them up.
And in addition to all of the above if you put a piece of 1/4" plywood on top of the batteries you have a great additional storage bin.

Longer life, no maintenance, no corrosion over a five to seven year period all for $1000. That's less than $2 a day. Having a $250 to $500k motor home and if that math is the problem then you need a cheaper unit.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:46 AM   #23

Quote:

I understand what your are saying about the cost but another consideration is corrosion in the battery bay. The original wet cell batteries in my coach made a mess out of my battery tray and corroded several battery cables which required replacement after two years. I removed the batteries and the battery tray, repainted the battery compartment and tray with bed liner paint and installed all new cables and agm batteries. For me not having to check water level and worry about corrosion was worth the extra expense.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 09:49 AM   #24

Quote:

I did a battery tray makeover months ago & replaced with Lifeline. One gotcha I'll share; I spent several weekends (ok maybe 4) taking my sweet time with the project. Turned out great. But since I wasn't on shore power this whole time (not charging chassis batts) I let my chassis batts discharge. If you drag it out like I did go ahead & use the chassis batt cutoff switch to keep them from discharging.https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/mes...es-559952.html
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Why on earth would you be changing AGM's in a 2018? Your original AGM should be good for at least three or four more years.
The batteries Newmar supplies are junk. I have a 2018 DSDP 4018 and had to replace my AGM's also. They were leaking battery acid and would not hold a charge. Tech replacing them said they were 'pretend' AGM's and complained about getting acid all over himself and the battery bay. You could see vents on the top of the batteries, so they had to be installed upright, NOT like normal AGM's. Mine were called HB Battery GF62100.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:10 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostlerab View Post
The batteries Newmar supplies are junk. I have a 2018 DSDP 4018 and had to replace my AGM's also. They were leaking battery acid and would not hold a charge. Tech replacing them said they were 'pretend' AGM's and complained about getting acid all over himself and the battery bay. You could see vents on the top of the batteries, so they had to be installed upright, NOT like normal AGM's. Mine were called HB Battery GF62100.
So sorry to hear you had problems. My 2018 DS was built in September of 2017 and we sold it 02.15.22. Out batteries performed perfectly and never had a leak or any corrosion.

As to the $99 wet cells at Costco or Sam's. It's the weight that is the give away. For any battery size the surface area in the battery has to be close to the same size to produce the voltage and amperage. The thickness of the lead in the plate is the cost savings. Just weigh a D8 from Sam's or Costco and weigh a Trojan or other major brand that costs 50% more. Here is a chart I found that if you go down the chart and look at batteries by output you can see that the ones that cost the most have the highest CCA of MCA. https://www.batteryequivalents.com/g...endations.html You get for the most part what you pay for.

Use of the batteries enter into the equation as well. For instance I believe Newmar sends the coachs out with the system set at 11.7V or something in that range for recharge. But one tech said he thinks that for battery life 12.2V is better. Mine were reset at 12.2V recharge. The article I quoted seems to address that issue and explains it as well. When boondocking my generator kicked in at 12.2V.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:54 PM   #27

I started the refurbishment of my battery compartment a few days ago. I took everything out and cleaned up the bay. Took the tray and frame out and hauled to my garage to clean it up and paint it. A big issue was finding several of the bearings for the tray were rusted solid. A search did not find any replacements readily available, but I did find a very close match metric size. The bonus is that these are sealed bearings! A pack of 10 for $16.49 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BY6Q45L...roduct_details

You also need to buy new hardware as the old bolts won’t fit the bore of the new bearings. You’ll need 10 each - M12 x 1.75 30 mm long hex head bolt, M12 flat washer and 10 M12 x 1.75 nylock nuts.

I used Bedliner to coat the tray and frame. Last thing is to do is coat the floor of the compartment.

I’m starting to lean towards the AGM batteries, but that extra $1500 would buy a lot of bourbon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C35F6DEA-A428-4B16-A75B-FB5C8F0DB9B3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	372273   Click image for larger version

Name:	6003A6C9-E96A-43CC-807C-68DCA4AD3F02.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	372274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1616FC2F-4952-47B5-87DB-70CA7AA042E7.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	372275  
Old 07-29-2022, 05:16 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
Just replaced my 8 batteries with 2 Battle Born lithium. ME-ARC 50 handles the change just fine. Battle Born gives you the settings for charging. Very easy and lightens the load. Ordered from Amazon and got them in 4 days.
I was going to suggest changing to LiPO4. If you replace 8 with 2 you not only saved weight but money. Eight 6v golf cart batteries are way more than the $1600 (probably paid less than that) that two Battle Born's are. And while Battle Born is proven and been around. There are lot of LiPO4's around for a lot less.

I am dealing with a local solar installer who has priced out a custom-built 560ah battery bank for $2000. Lead batteries seem to be going up in price and LiPO4 are going down. It's very close to even money per AH.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries