Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

Replacing House Batteries - Any Gotchas?

After reading about the unnatural acts required before changing out the Spartan chassis batteries, thought I had better ask before I cause problems.

I need to replace my house batteries. 8 AGMs (wired in 4 pairs of 6v series connected). I assume set main coach battery disconnect to Store (Off). Make a diagram of current wiring and take a picture for reference.

Have done this on a sailboat before and know my way around electrical stuff.

Anything peculiar to the '07 Essex that I should watch out for?
markpj23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
Community Moderator

If you have a Magnum inverter they say to disconnect the positive lead FIRST to avoid burning out some of the electronics that will seek a path to ground if you disconnect the negative post first.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #3

If you have a battery disconnect switch you should turn the switch to off before disconnecting any cables. Do not have the shore power cord plugged in.
Making the diagram and taking pictures is a wise idea.
I have all my positive cables marked with red tape and all my negative cables marked with black tape to prevent any mix up.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would also turn off the inverter and charger before disconnecting batteries. This way you’ll minimize power being drawn from the batteries. The charger shouldn’t matter if you have disconnected from shore power, but it doesn’t hurt.

The other thing is whether you have bars that connect the two 6V batteries together as a 12 pair. If so, check to see if the terminal position are the same and if the bars are going to fit.

My batteries are supposed to arrive on Monday and I’ll be doing the swap out.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
YC1

Print the pictures and write on them voltages before disconnecting anything. Watch for small wires that you might drop out of sight. Often you can zip tie those together before removing the posts.

Too many people drop wires or put in incorrect batteries. Make sure you count the water holes if they are not sealed batteries. You don't want to put 12 volters in series.

You asked, this was recently done.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #6

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I would also turn off the inverter and charger before disconnecting batteries. This way you’ll minimize power being drawn from the batteries. The charger shouldn’t matter if you have disconnected from shore power, but it doesn’t hurt.

The other thing is whether you have bars that connect the two 6V batteries together as a 12 pair. If so, check to see if the terminal position are the same and if the bars are going to fit.

Let me know how your battery change over goes. I will probably do it when I get back to FLA. You said you got your LifeLines in FLA, where did you get them from?
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Turn the generator breaker off.
lsodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Let me know how your battery change over goes. I will probably do it when I get back to FLA. You said you got your LifeLines in FLA, where did you get them from?

I was trying to get my batteries in MD, but after waiting for them to get their shipment, they told me that they received fewer than they had planned and after filling backorders they only had 4 remaining.

I decided to order online from Battery Guys. They were very responsive to my inquires and shipped the batteries the first business day after ordering. They are scheduled to arrive from AZ on Monday.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #9

Thanks for all the replies!
markpj23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If you have a battery disconnect switch you should turn the switch to off before disconnecting any cables. Do not have the shore power cord plugged in.
Making the diagram and taking pictures is a wise idea.
I have all my positive cables marked with red tape and all my negative cables marked with black tape to prevent any mix up.
EDIT to my post. I got interrupted while typing my post.
I was going to add I have each battery numbered. I also have each cable numbered as well. With the color code on each cable and the number on each cable it would be difficult to hook the batteries up incorrectly.
I write on the red tape with a black magic marker and on the black tape with a white marker.
If you need to remove or replace the batteries simply draw a diagram of the orientation before removal and use the diagram to install the batteries. Renumber the batteries if you have replaced them.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post

When I replaced all my wet cell batteries with agm I also replaced all the battery cables. Several were corroded but I went ahead and replaced all except the main leads. I also removed the battery tray and refinished it and the battery compartment with truck bed liner spray. Good time to do it while you have the batteries out.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Print the pictures and write on them voltages before disconnecting anything. Watch for small wires that you might drop out of sight. Often you can zip tie those together before removing the posts.

Too many people drop wires or put in incorrect batteries. Make sure you count the water holes if they are not sealed batteries. You don't want to put 12 volters in series.

You asked, this was recently done.
I recently worked on my house batteries. In the past I have been amazed at how people on this forum do not know some basic things. Fortunately, I only think this, don't say it. But in doing a simple removal of the positive battery cable, I knew I didn't need to make notes or take pictures.

Then I reconnected every thing. And, eating a bit of crow, I found this wire I forgot. Then I found that wire I forgot. After a while, I finally got everything right, but the moral here is, wires surely DO drop out of site and there can be many more connections than anticipated. Not to mention, I am one of the people on this forum that does not know very much!!

Good luck. Lot's of pictures, take your time.
Pete
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:36 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Why on earth would you be changing AGM's in a 2018? Your original AGM should be good for at least three or four more years.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #14

Just replaced my 8 batteries with 2 Battle Born lithium. ME-ARC 50 handles the change just fine. Battle Born gives you the settings for charging. Very easy and lightens the load. Ordered from Amazon and got them in 4 days.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries