Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2022, 03:26 PM   #1

Replacing Rear view monitor

I bought a 1997 Mountainaire last year that I have been working on after years of neglect. One of the things I need to update is the Rear view camera and monitor system. It is an old Clairion. I enquired several places and apparently they only made that system one year. It uses a 5 pin non-standard wiring system and an odd sized monitor. Has anyone replaced this system before or have a lead on adapters?
IowaGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2022, 03:29 PM   #2

I replaced my total system with a new camera, and monitor from: http://www.rvcams.com/ RV cams were very helpful.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's are 2 good sources. Give them a call and see what they suggest based upon your present system/wiring.

http://www.rvcams.com/

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Here's are 2 good sources. Give them a call and see what they suggest based upon your present system/wiring.

http://www.rvcams.com/

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/
Tried both of these and because Clarion is non-standard neither has adapters or a replacement size that would fit. May have found a place where I can have an adapter made and thinking of moving the monitor anyway, my arm blocks it while driving. Have got some work done, but still need to replace the house batteries.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:10 AM   #5

My camera on my 2004 MA went out. I tried just replacing the camera but I was only getting 7 volts to the back. I did not want to have to run a new wire from the front so I purchased a wireless system from Tadi Brothers. I had to remove the shoe compartment in the back to access the area but I installed a wireless transmitter and a new camera, plus a new monitor. I wired the monitor to power to the "backup monitor" switch on the console. I powered the camera and transmitter it the back from the clearance lights. I need to have the lights on to power the camera, but I also need the lights on to "charge" the toad, so no problem there.

I also added a license plate camera with a wireless transmitter,(monitor has duel feed} which is much better for backing into a site. The overhead one is the one I use to monitor the toad.

I have thought about changing the monitor to a quad feed with storage and adding a dash camera and right side camera. Maybe after this summer trip to Alaska.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:05 PM   #6

Tim at RV Cams is your guy.. There is a link right on the main page to email him directly. He responded almost immediately with tons of knowledge on my 04 MADP. He was actually on vacation and was alot of help. He put together a package deal for me at a discounted price. Goodluck..
Old 02-27-2022, 08:04 AM   #7

I can also vouch for RVCams……just replaced my camera and monitor in my 2002 Dutch Star, great improvement from antique black & white system.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGuy69 View Post
I bought a 1997 Mountainaire last year that I have been working on after years of neglect. One of the things I need to update is the Rear view camera and monitor system. It is an old Clairion. I enquired several places and apparently they only made that system one year. It uses a 5 pin non-standard wiring system and an odd sized monitor. Has anyone replaced this system before or have a lead on adapters?
Looks as if you’ve gotten some good leads. The rear view camera is a must on large RV’s. Got to see that toad.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
I can also vouch for RVCams……just replaced my camera and monitor in my 2002 Dutch Star, great improvement from antique black & white system.
I got in contact with them and several other companies concerning the monitor. Because Clarion used a non-standard cable, they couldn't help. The suggested going wireless instead. Tried to take the monitor out to see if I could get an adapter but have to take the dashboard out to get it out. Checking them out now.

Thanks everyone.

Tags
monitor, rear, view