Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #1

Replacing slide motor

We have a 4 slide 2012 DS 4353 -
The bolts that hold the motor to the chassis broke the motor housing on the large front slide while it was openning. This is NOT the loose bolts problem that has been throughly discussed on this forum, the actual motor housing has broken and is now loose - only 2 bolts are holding the motor in place. The slide is out and I am reluctant to attempt to bring it in.
My question, what is involved in replacing the motor (once I get a new one)? How is the shaft attached to the motor?
Suggestions for purchasing a new motor assembly appreciated.
Other ideas and tips?
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 06:44 PM   #2

You will need to loosen the 1 1/2 trans torque nut to be able to disconnect the motor from the shaft. It could have been that the bolts came lose and then the motor was able to move around and that caused the damage. Other thought someone over torqued the bolts till they broke the aluminum motor case.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 06:48 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim 75
slide mtr. problems

Ken, I had the same problem, only, all four on my slide broke. The bolts stayed in, but broke out of the gear casing.

My email address jsquared62@yahoo.com will get you my cell # for a call so I can possibly help with info.....Jim 75
Jim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:54 AM   #4

Next step

Yup, that’s what happened - the bolts just broke the housing. Now, on to the repair.
After breaking loose the joint, i remove the remaining bolts and the motor will come out? Are there other mounting points (besides electrical) that hold it in place? Cavaets for this project?
rvnavigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar uses about a half dozen or more slide systems in the way they operate and mount. As an example, my FWS uses chains and a hydraulic pump to push/pull the slide in and out and then raise and lower it.

My bedroom slide uses a single motor with a driveshaft that uses the transtorque bushing to make the two cog wheel drives push the slide in and out.

Lastly, my kitchen slide, uses two motors to drive two short driveshafts with a large cog wheel on the end of each. My bedroom and kitchen both use the same motor that people have had issues with the motor coming loose.

With that said, my kitchen motors are mounted to a small box frame, a little larger than the motor. I had to replace one of the kitchen motors and found it both easier and faster to drop the entire motor frame (kind of cage) that also uses four bolts and nuts, versus dropping the motor and then trying to reinstall in the screws later that have to be perfectly aligned with the driveshaft.

When I reinstalled, I installed the motor in the frame, leaving the four motor bolts just loose enough to move the motor around. I then reinstalled the assembly. Once the motor lined up with the driveshaft, I tightened all eight bolts, which made alignment of the motor easier.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I'd take the motor and broken pieces to a local welding shop. They can weld it back together and add bracing to make it stronger than original. If you don't, what model number is this motor - I'm looking for a set of gears for my Klauber K01176xxxx.
Regards,
-Matt
Injuneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:04 AM   #7

When replacing slide motors do not have the slide all the way in or out as that locks the drive shaft. The slide only needs to be slightly out so the slide lock is released. The shaft will move easily as you line up the motor and bolts.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, slide, slide motor