Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #1

Replacing Whirlpool Microwave need info.

How do I get to the screws into the top of the microwave??
The small cabinet is above with the carpeted bottom. I know this is normally a false bottom but how do I get to the screws?? TIA.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hunt View Post
How do I get to the screws into the top of the microwave??
The small cabinet is above with the carpeted bottom. I know this is normally a false bottom but how do I get to the screws?? TIA.

I replaced my Whirlpool with a GE Adantium. I removed the plastic vent above the microwave cooking area and there were drywall screws through the top metal housing of the microwave into wood just behind the cabinet face frame. When I removed those screws the top of the microwave tilted down and I was able to lift the microwave off the rear bracket. Yours may be installed differently.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I removed the Whirlpool from my 2014 DS, they also drove two screws through the back wall of the microwave from underneath. I removed the vents on the underside and was able to access the screws.

When you do the removal, remember the microwave hinges onto the back wall, so have a platform under the front so it doesn't fall down. I also found Newmar used some scrap wood against the backwall to attach the microwave mounting bracket. It was just stapled in and was not very supportive. I rebuilt the back wall with better material.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:12 PM   #4

Some are as Don said. Remove the grease filters. There may be 2 long screws on a 45 degree going to the back wall.
Old 03-15-2020, 06:53 AM   #5

Thanks, I’ll try these suggestions and see what happens. I’m going to lay a piece of plywood over the stove and counter and put a moving blanket over that before I do anything else.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:35 PM   #6

OK got’er done. Removed the top trim and there were 8 Newmar screws, (bronze color square drive) through the top into the cabinet above.
Had a couple of younger fellows to do the lifting and it was done in short order.
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What did you replace it with?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:12 AM   #8

Don I replaced the with another Whirlpool. A newer model but very similar. The paperwork is out on the coach and I don’t remember the model.
We looked seriously at the GE Advantium but at our age we’re thinking we’ll possibly be “retiring” from the RV life soon and just didn’t think the price was justified
Ordered through Lowe’s. $ 474.00.
I knew better than to call Newmar for a price. ��
Old 03-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #9

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
My wife hates the Whirlpool microwave. I have been thinking about replacing it with the GE Advantium. Is this the model that everyone is getting.

GE Profile Series PSA9120SFSS 1.7 cu. ft. Advantium Electric Wall Oven with Microwave
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #10

I just found an old thread. So that is the correct model.

GE Advantium DIY Install - 2017 Newmar Ventana
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ge-advantium-diy-install-2017-newmar-ventana-424998.html
Old 03-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #11

Can anyone tell me the difference between the GE Advantium microwave and the GE Profile Series, beside $600?

They are both convection the Advantium is 925 watts while the Profile is 950 watts.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Can anyone tell me the difference between the GE Advantium microwave and the GE Profile Series, beside $600?

They are both convection the Advantium is 925 watts while the Profile is 950 watts.
The Advantium also has speed cook, a wonderful feature.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #13

Replacing Whirlpool Microwave need info.

The Advantium and Profile each have two cooking modes, and can combine modes to reduce cooking time. They each have microwave elements.

Profile is a radiant oven with hidden heat elements. Advantium uses halogen elements at the top of the oven, which are supposed to give better browning by providing more direct infrared energy to the food.

Profile is 120V only, and alternates between microwave and radiant convection during the cooking cycle. The 120V Advantium works the same way, using halogen instead of conventional resistance elements.

Advantium is available in a 240V version, which cooks even faster by operating the halogen and microwave simultaneously. Very few RV electrical systems support this. I think that MrD, a forum member with a 240V Country Coach Class A, has one in his RV.

I had a 120V Advantium for 6 years. It worked fine, but I didn’t find any real advantage to the halogen system. It out-performs the Profile for broiling, but you only have to try to clean the oven once to know that broiling is the last thing you want to do in an oven that is not self-cleaning. When we remodeled our kitchen, I switched to the Profile, which is half the cost and does everything that I require. No regrets.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
The Advantium and Profile each have two cooking modes, and can combine modes to reduce cooking time. They each have microwave elements.

Profile is a radiant oven with hidden heat elements. Advantium uses halogen elements at the top of the oven, which are supposed to give better browning by providing more direct infrared energy to the food.

Profile is 120V only, and alternates between microwave and radiant convection during the cooking cycle. The 120V Advantium works the same way, using halogen instead of conventional resistance elements.

Advantium is available in a 240V version, which cooks even faster by operating the halogen and microwave simultaneously. Very few RV electrical systems support this. I think that MrD, a forum member with a 240V Country Coach Class A, has one in his RV.

I had a 120V Advantium for 6 years. It worked fine, but I didn’t find any real advantage to the halogen system. It out-performs the Profile for broiling, but you only have to try to clean the oven once to know that broiling is the last thing you want to do in an oven that is not self-cleaning. When we remodeled our kitchen, I switched to the Profile, which is half the cost and does everything that I require. No regrets.
Mike thank you for the info on the differences between the two.

Marc

Tags
microwave