RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #1

Resealing roof - Remove Acs or not??

2011 DS with BrightTek TPO roof.

Once it warms up a bit more in NH, I'm planning to reseal the roof. Planning to remove the old sealing rather than go over it with more Dicor Purely preventative I don't have any leaks today.

My question is - should the ACs be removed to do this or not? If so, how are is it to get the ACs off? Done some searches but not coming up with anyone in the past that's done it and/or did or did not remove the roof top units.

Thoughts??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There shouldn't be any sealant around your AC's. They use a rubber gasket.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
There shouldn't be any sealant around your AC's. They use a rubber gasket.
That's what I was unsure of. What is under it. Butyl tape or what....and should I be concerned with replacing at the same time.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #4

The rubber gasket sits right on the roof fiberglass. Gets snugged down (compressed slightly), by 4 long bolts you access from inside.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The rubber gasket sits right on the roof fiberglass. Gets snugged down (compressed slightly), by 4 long bolts you access from inside.
Am I opening a can of worms or leave well enough alone?? Is there any wiring to disconnect to just lift it high enough to do the seal?

Also - there is no way to access from the inside...
Old 04-08-2020, 10:58 AM   #6

If it isn't leaking, I wouldn't change the gasket.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #7

Yeah, I've read Newmars are a little different.

I'm sure someone on here can tell you how to get at the mounting bolts, so you can check, snug them down a little.

On mine, every couple of years I give each bolt one full turn, which compresses the gasket a little more. Most people don't replace the gasket till the AC wears out.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
With Newmar, there are four lag bolts accessible from the top. To access them you will need to remove the plastic cover held on with four Phillips screws, two on the front and one on each side of the unit. IMHO if they are not leaking there is no need to fool with them.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
With Newmar, there are four lag bolts accessible from the top. To access them you will need to remove the plastic cover held on with four Phillips screws, two on the front and one on each side of the unit. IMHO if they are not leaking there is no need to fool with them.

I agree with the common "leave it alone" wisdom. Our similarly sealed Winnie AC units never leaked there, and it was a '96 we traded in this year. However, if there are rubber gaskets under the screws that hold the cover on, and the screws are recessed, you *should* replace those. Finding that leak drove me nuts...the water pooled in the recesses, and when a gasket cracked, it came right through the AC unit into the roof of the coach, appearing at the junction of the ceiling and wall.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I agree with the common "leave it alone" wisdom. Our similarly sealed Winnie AC units never leaked there, and it was a '96 we traded in this year. However, if there are rubber gaskets under the screws that hold the cover on, and the screws are recessed, you *should* replace those. Finding that leak drove me nuts...the water pooled in the recesses, and when a gasket cracked, it came right through the AC unit into the roof of the coach, appearing at the junction of the ceiling and wall.
Generally my line of thinking too. Given on the fact it's coming up to 10 years of age I'd rather get it before it becomes a problem too so was judging the complexity of the job.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:13 PM   #11

I would not mess with removing the AC's but I would take this opportunity to get caught up on what we are supposed to be doing anyway. Certainly remove the plastic shroud, give them a good cleaning with a vacuum, and check the bolts. I believe there will be 4 or 5, accessible from the roof, likely covered in silicone. Put a socket on the bolts & check for tightness. That's it & then seal again.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Resealing roof - Remove Acs or not??

Turbo...
I also subscribe to “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However you have to inspect to make that decision. My ‘02 DS is 9 yrs older. Here’s a problem that may appear with age.
Replacing my front AC last year, and applying a new gasket set, I encountered an unexpected situation. Over the course of years bouncing down roads with a 98 Lb thing sitting on the roof, the roof panel beneath the unit had actually been beaten down slightly into a noticeable concave form. A single gasket would not have properly done the job. I got more gasket material and applied a double thickness in the deepest areas. I also ran a bead of Dicor along the roof-gasket seam.
All seems well now, but look for this condition on your roof.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Workhorse link in this link will show you how to clean your older AC's and also the EVAN's links, more than this one, will give you info on your dash AC/heat unit.
The links below in my signature have answers for older MH's.
You do not need to paint your Brite-Tex roof it just needs a good cleaning.
Roof top AC seal replacement.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal