Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rest Area Camping

Have a 3 day run out and back coming up and have always used an RV park to overnight and then out the next morning. Thinking about using the rest area's this time instead of paying for just a few hours, then gone again.

What is your experience in camping those areas, and do you run your generator all night while sleeping during cold weather?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #2

Comfort is the key

We are in our 60s and have parked in rest areas for the night frequently over the years. As far as cold weather boondocking goes, we will do whatever we need to in order to be comfortable. If it's cold inside the Coach, we will run our propane furnace, generator, electric heat, whatever, to make us comfy.

We didn't do that when we were younger.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Is it common to put the slides out while rest area camping?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDuke View Post
Is it common to put the slides out while rest area camping?
The short answer is no. You can sometimes get a spot that sides next to an island or green space that would allow you to deploy slides without taking up any parking area space.

I parked on a picnic area pullout spot last evening in the panhandle of Texas and DID put my living room slide out so I could recline in my chair while I relaxed but then put it in shortly after as I took a walk outside to see if a truck could get by me and leave my coach intact. I chose to close the slide. When i am by myself this is not an issue but if my wife was with me one of us would have to crawl over the other to get into and out of bed......hmmmm....maybe my slide will stay "broken" now that I say that!
Old 12-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Was a thread on here yesterday about this....there was also a list, state by state, of what's allowed time wise.....
Old 12-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry about the thread break, but can't say the thread search engine on this site is the easiest thing to use. Tried searching and came up with nothing on this subject.

Would like to thank you guys for your help on this.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The law enforcement members of our family (state trooper and city police officer) have strongly cautioned us about overnighting in highway rest stops/areas. Too much bad stuff going on. They recommend Walmart, Cabelas/Bass Pro Shop, and similar parking lots...where allowed.

TJ
Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Sorry about the thread break, but can't say the thread search engine on this site is the easiest thing to use. Tried searching and came up with nothing on this subject.

Slides in, generator on and use Trucker's Path app as it will give you information regarding rest area amenities such as lights, security, # spots. I try not to stay in them very often as a courtesy to the truckers and I never really rest well, but when your pickings are slim, it is good to know if there has been a shoot out at that location which often the comments will note.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #9

Rest Area Camping

Quote:

Don’t worry about the forum searching; it can be a pain, for sure.

That said, GOOGLE is your friend. Plus, even though I doubt the laws change that often, one never knows.

So, with proper wording, such as “rest area overnight parking CALIFORNIA”, you could easily find the rules for each state, like this:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/policy.htm
Old 12-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #10

Slides in for us if we are just staying a few hours. Less space to heat.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #11

For staying in a rest area, I would suggest no to the slides being out and/or generator. If you need to keep warm, consider a Mr Buddy type heater. We use one inside our RV and it works good.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:

A Google custom search... you'd think it would be better, and that thread had dozens of posts and was active until a couple weeks ago.

It's had problems finding things when I knew the exact wording of the subject line or first 5 words of a post. Not sure what's up with it but yes, it's frustrating.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Old Duke,

I've learned you have to use the 'Google' search at the top of the page but have found that it will usually give me many threads that do not specifically answer my question and usually when we are asking for info/advice we need it now not after reading through multiple threads to learn they don't address our specific question.

As to your question: Have stayed in rest areas over the years w/o any problems. I only put my slides out if they are extended into a no parking area and then bring them in at night because I've seen truckers pull into stripped no parking sections next to handicap sites and even upon green sites if not blocked by trees.

When I need my AC or furnace I run my generator. When I had an inverter it ran the batteries down. I switched out to a converter after it blew so I don't have that problem any more. In a rest area truckers run their gennies through the night.

I seldom use the RA any more for overnight sleeping as I plot out Walmart, Lowes, etc. where I can park in relative comfort for the few hours of sleep. (I don't drive in the dark anymore - don't need to and don't like to.)

Drive safe and enjoy - Richard
Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
I seldom use the RA any more for overnight sleeping as I plot out Walmart, Lowes, etc. where I can park in relative comfort for the few hours of sleep. (I don't drive in the dark anymore - don't need to and don't like to.)
Not all rest areas are the same. Many rest areas are specifically configured for over night stays. The problem is finding them.

A well hidden fact is that Google maintains a very complete web page for every rest area in the US. This web site contains location information, rest site URL (if there is one), photos of the rest area, links to detail maps and most importantly user reviews of these rest areas.

Here is an example of a Google Rest Area website. This one is on Highway 58, near Edwards AFB in the high desert of California.

I have been slowly converting the Rest Area layer on the "Class A" RV Parks web page over to the dynamic Google web site links. Currently most Rest Areas plotted on the map come from a "static" database (meaning it is not updated). If you now click on most rest areas plotted along the West coast on the map you will see it now brings up the dynamic Google Rest Area website for that location. These are the ones I converted so far.

If you look at this part of the "Class A" RV Maps walk through video you will see a full explanation of the new converted Rest Area plot points.

In time I would like to convert all the rest area plot points on the map to point to the Google web site for the stop. It is tedious work, so I just started doing it in my home area.

Closed Thread

Tags
camping