Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Retirement to tax friendly states

Hi,
Wasn’t sure where to post this question, so since we are Newmar people thought I’d try here.

We plan on selling house and getting out of California. Physically looked at AZ and TN. TN certainly prettier and more tax friendly for us seniors but my husband is stuck on the RV garage homes in Bullhead or Surprise, AZ and wants the dry heat. As East Coast born and raised, humidity states are out.

My confusion is the cost of the RV tags/registration. Does AZ have a different formula for the RV rather than 60% of msrp and rate of 2.80 per $100?

I tried their formula and came out paying thousands every year....heck it’s bad enough paying $2k for CA. every year.
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[Mod Edit] That said, I hope you and your husband are considering more than just the RV registration fees: income tax, sales tax, "personal property" tax, estate tax, cost and access to medical care, etc. etc. If it were me deciding I'd want to have an idea of the overall cost, not just one component of it.

We're not there yet but it's getting closer for us, so I'm rooting for you to make the best decision possible and then let the rest of us know!
Old 07-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Cannot speak to Registration Fees, as stated above, more than just how much RV costs. AZ has the following:
1. Very high electricity reates, sliding scale, up for summer due to heat. Very little Hydro Generation, mostly oil/coal fired with some solar, in winter we get over 100 monthly electric bills in Yuma, AZ, would never live there for that one reason
2. Property Tax ours is high for a 8000 sqft lot, again, not tax friendly for land ownership.
3. Income Tax, run test return based on income, not cheap.
Cannot speak to other taxes, lots of sun, heat, some snakes, and not friendly to retirees. Other places more so, NV if you got to stay out west.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #4

Easy. Texas
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I live in AZ and own a 2016 DSDP 4018. You are correct that registration fees are crazy high - I pay thousands each year for our RV. I forgot the formula but its based on the value of your car/coach and its age.

Property taxes are low compared to most other states - certainly CA. Same is true for electricity. While not the cheapest in the nation, the kwh rates are reasonable. You might consider solar to offset your cost - that's what we did years ago and the panels have paid for themselves many times over.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Brucemcdou,

Yes, we have looked at all the tax burdens on numerous states and don’t expect perfect...we realize AZ has state tax, 401k tax, etc and lousy healthcare in Bullhead (my big issue). Just have to convince hubby AZ may not be the best choice and the RV yearly registration would be my culprit. Good for those without RV’s as housing/property tax seems somewhat lower.

NV housing prices and property tax higher or I would consider there.
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the Escapees website. Lots of info on becoming a TEXAN. They also use Florida and South Dakota as mail service locations.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #8

Florida is the only real choice. No state income tax, low registration and tag fees. Low property taxes. Bonus is that in the summer you pack up the RV and head for cooler weather while enjoying our beautiful country.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Another vote for Escapees here..

We are full timers and have no intention of buying real estate for quite a few years (hopefully)

Just last week made the trek from Oregon(income taxes on retirement funding other than SS check) to South Dakota and established "Legal Residency of Record"
No income taxes of any sort
Yes they have a sales tax.4% I think
No vehicle inspections
No "special RV drivers license" for a "full meal deal" DP.

Only have to return to the state once every 5 years to get pic taken for the drivers license renewal.

Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
ALSO Check This out...VERY Informative...

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/retir...rees/index.php
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #11

Why Bullhead, AZ? That would be the armpit for us! Quite a comparison to Surprise. Other places to consider in Arizona with lots to do, excellent medical... Apache Junction - nice lakes nearby, Wickenburg, Green Valley, Sierra Vista or if you don't want the summer heat and can do with some winter chill - occasional light snow, look into Show Low or Pinetop - nice forests and lakes and beautiful summer temperatures.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowl300 View Post
Hi,

We plan on selling house and getting out of California. Physically looked at AZ and TN. TN certainly prettier and more tax friendly for us seniors but my husband is stuck on the RV garage homes in Bullhead or Surprise, AZ and wants the dry heat. As East Coast born and raised, humidity states are out.
Assuming since you mentioned looking at TN you looked at the RV garage home community that advertises in all the magazines and hosts "educational" sessions at some club conventions.

The prices/costs they tout for the houses are well below what you actually end up paying (by generally 50% - basically their price is just for the shell, no lot prep, minimal allowances for interior finishes, no allowances for electrical/plumbing/lighting beyond the minimum required by code) and the prices are way out of line for the area. There are hidden costs everywhere with one of their builds. We have direct, personal experience and consider ourselves lucky we got out before committing to a build, but we did lose 2 years of our retirement plan dorking around with their so-called "designer".

Now, we did retire to the Cumberland Plateau for the climate, the lower cost (MUCH less than Texas where we moved from), and the slower pace of living.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
..........Now, we did retire to the Cumberland Plateau for the climate, the lower cost (MUCH less than Texas where we moved from), and the slower pace of living.
What towns, campgrounds, and coach resorts are in your area? Thanks
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #14

i have no stake in this and do not know the details of all the states. upon retirement we relocated from southern california to arizona.

the registration fee is based upon the retail price of the rv (what the mvd says not what you actually paid) and it then decreases by 16% each subsequent year. no special drivers license requirements. social security income is excluded from state taxes (as they are in california). property taxes are tons less expensive than california. there is state and local income tax. health care facilities vary by location.

if you want to escape the heat try the arizona mountains. places like flagstaff, payson, show low, prescott, sedona. flagstaff is actually quite snowy. not all of arizona is desert.

one thing to realize about arizona is that there is one large population center and the rest of the state is very much small rural localities. flagstaff and tucson also have some population but nowhere as much as phoenix.

one final note. it is only a days drive back to socal if you need to go there (family).

this is not an endorsement for or against. just trying to offer info.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote