Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your point, but shock manufacturers can, by going with more complex valving (adjustable or FSD) do a much better job than the OE designed shocks which were chosen with PRICE as a primary consideration.

Said another way, Koni, using a more complex design can achieve both better ride and better handling. Yes, at a higher cost than OE. They can do this by both having the vast majority of the dampening on extension with very little on compression (dampening on compression adds to spring rate and makes for a stiffer ride) AND with the FSD's having different amounts of dampening depending on frequency of motion.
I agree, There are instances where they miss on the calibration then the aftermarket companies catch it and fix it.

I realize there will always be exceptions.

After reading through this thread the seems to be the situation with the IFS chassis.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
No he knew I was talking about a 2016 Freightliner XCR chassis. I know their package used to be less expensive but I think they raised the prices since then. I’m thinking about buying the source valves which aren’t that expensive and either Bilstein or Koni front shocks. Or maybe the Source shocks and valves but just the fronts. But this has been a good and timely discussion.

From Jim Walls: “ If its on the Freightliner XC chassis.
We recommend shocks a valves. Cost $1276.00 + FRT
Front and rear.”

I would be more inclined to make it either Monroe RV if available or Koni especially in the front. Bilstein tend to be a bit more harsh to me on rough roads and the last coach I bought that had them, though they were new having just been installed by the seller, were the #1 thing on the list to get rid of on that Workhorse Chassis.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New Koni shocks on the front

My coach came with Bilstein shocks. When I hit a pothole or just a big bump while driving we were slammed around almost like our chairs were coupled directly to the front axle. It was often intense and it was not fun. A year into ownership I had the front shocks replaced with Koni shocks. Now the ride is softer. If the bump is big enough there is an occasional small bounce. I purchased the shocks online at a nice discount and took my coach to a commercial tire company to have them installed. After replacing my shocks I have not noticed any difference in steering or driving characteristics, just a more comfortable and less fatiguing ride.

I also had a Safe-T-Plus installed after the new shocks to help with steering if I have a front tire blowout or encountered a strong wind. It didn't have any effect on my ride characteristics other than helping to keep my wheels centered and it has made steering a little easier.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:52 PM   #32

In 2008 we took our new gas Fleetwood, which was on the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1L/Allison 6 speed, to a Workhorse rally in S. Calif.

One of the vendors, Redlands Truck & RV Center if memory serves, wanted to sell us Koni shocks to replace our nearly new Bilsteins. He claimed we would notice the difference before we got out of the park.

We figured this was a load of rubbish but decided to go ahead with the change anyway. Well, he was right. An improvement was immediately noticeable. We never regretted the purchase.
sandpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:05 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE
Have owned 2 VTDP, a 2016 and now a 2019. Put the Source Engineering shocks that are custom tuned to the Freightliner chassis on my 2016. Amazing difference. [/QUOTE]

I'm familiar with Source Engineering and thought they did most of their work around the Roadmaster chassis. I checked their web site and didn't see any custom suspension parts for the Freightliner.
Old 10-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior7 View Post
[QUOTE
Have owned 2 VTDP, a 2016 and now a 2019. Put the Source Engineering shocks that are custom tuned to the Freightliner chassis on my 2016. Amazing difference.
I'm familiar with Source Engineering and thought they did most of their work around the Roadmaster chassis. I checked their web site and didn't see any custom suspension parts for the Freightliner.[/QUOTE]
It’s a recent addition to their line - re-worked Bilsteins. Their website is somewhat basic and behind. But they are selling a freightliner package. For $1275. Plus shipping. You can do the Koni EVO99s for under $700 and the valves from Source are pretty cheap. Might be the best solution. I posted a response I got from them earlier in this thread. Also don’t expect much in the way of communication from them.

Here’s the response I got from Jim Walls at Source when I asked about my 2016 Ventana: “ If its on the Freightliner XC chassis.
Front and rear.”

From Shock Warehouse (I bought Koni FSD shocks from them for my Bay Star):
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index...6&mode=results
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #35

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie 4369 View Post
Information for all.

Shock absorbers are a wear Items that starts wearing from day 1 and they slowly degrade which give the Human time to accept what becomes Normal.

Life expectancy is IMPO, 20,000 miles on these big rigs, but that can vary based on the roads you travel drastically, rough roads shorter life, smooth roads longer life.

Any time you compare new shocks to old shocks there will be in improvement

So saying my new shocks are better than my old shocks serves no purpose.

It is a given.

Perfect example my 2013 Cadillac Escalade, 40K miles I replaced my shocks with Exact Factory replacements and overall ride, handling, harshness all vastly improved.

The Only way to truly know which shock is best is to do a scientific back to back, new for new shock comparison with sensitive data acquisition equipment on board.

The SOP meter is only so good and will be very hard to compare New to New shocks as they will be nearly Identical.

I hope this helps the discussion.

Ted.

When making ANY comparison i.e. shocks, tires, wheels, seats, sway-bars, or even bushings, it is IMPERATIVE that all other variables are controlled and eliminated. I learned this while doing new tire comparisons. Normally a new set (less than 200 miles) of the current tires would be used as "controls" and a specific route would be taken where various road surfaces would be included in a 5 to 10 mile route. This would be done with no radio or AC running and all windows closed to keep external noise variations and distractions to a minimum. We would end the route back at the shop where a different set of tires would be installed and then the exact same route taken. The subjective rating of about 15 different ride, noise, handling feelings would be written down.
While some may wonder about the ability to feel minor differences I can relate one comparison.
A new set of tires was evaluated. When we returned to the garage the tires were dismounted and mounted on a different design wheel of identical dimensions (both were cast aluminum but with different spoke design as the only difference) The tires from the first evaluation were carefully mounted back in the exact position they were on for the first evaluation. I was amazed to feel the difference fo what I would have thought would be a unnoticeable change

While ride improvements can no doubt be felt when you put new shocks on your vehicle, there is no way you can be confident that you will get the same improvement on your coach unless you have the same model with the same miles and same wheels as the evaluation coach. Other suspension components such as sway bars, springs and bushings can impact ride, steering and noise. Yes noise is part of the evaluation as it is a form of vibration so you better be sure you have the same type/brand of seat with similar usage (driver weight and miles used). It is well known in the OE tire business that some tires that are rated Number One on one car can be unacceptable on a different model if the driver seat is changed.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:46 PM   #36
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior7 View Post
[QUOTE

Have owned 2 VTDP, a 2016 and now a 2019. Put the Source Engineering shocks that are custom tuned to the Freightliner chassis on my 2016. Amazing difference.

I'm familiar with Source Engineering and thought they did most of their work around the Roadmaster chassis. I checked their web site and didn't see any custom suspension parts for the Freightliner.[/QUOTE]

Here you go:

http://sourcerv.com/REK206
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:52 PM   #37
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I'm familiar with Source Engineering and thought they did most of their work around the Roadmaster chassis. I checked their web site and didn't see any custom suspension parts for the Freightliner.
It’s a recent addition to their line - re-worked Bilsteins. Their website is somewhat basic and behind. But they are selling a freightliner package. For $1275. Plus shipping. You can do the Koni EVO99s for under $700 and the valves from Source are pretty cheap. Might be the best solution. I posted a response I got from them earlier in this thread. Also don’t expect much in the way of communication from them.

Here’s the response I got from Jim Walls at Source when I asked about my 2016 Ventana: “ If its on the Freightliner XC chassis.
Front and rear.”

From Shock Warehouse (I bought Koni FSD shocks from them for my Bay Star):
https://www.shockwarehouse.com/index...6&mode=results[/QUOTE]

Ouch, my costs were $840 installed. Still expensive but 1276 is insane. Hope we can negotiate with Jim. If not maybe we will go somewhere else. Maybe we will become Koni-heads. Ok triggered folks [emoji91] on.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #38

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I bought Koni shocks earlier this year for my 2004 Holiday Rambler 35’ DP. I replaced my factory 16 year old no-name shocks, did it myself and paid close to $200 each. WOW! What a difference! No more wallowing, no more getting sucked in close to an 18 wheeler blowing past me. Bumps & potholes were a little better but still well felt. Probally by replacing the air bags next will help. Defiantly worth the cost, simple to install (at least on my coach). Rate it a 4 outta a 5, only reason a 4 is because I expected the potholes on I-40 in Flagstaff to be super smooth to run thru. Didn’t get as smooth as I expected, but it was much better.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchemie View Post
I bought Koni shocks earlier this year for my 2004 Holiday Rambler 35’ DP. I replaced my factory 16 year old no-name shocks, did it myself and paid close to $200 each. WOW! What a difference! No more wallowing, no more getting sucked in close to an 18 wheeler blowing past me. Bumps & potholes were a little better but still well felt. Probally by replacing the air bags next will help. Defiantly worth the cost, simple to install (at least on my coach). Rate it a 4 outta a 5, only reason a 4 is because I expected the potholes on I-40 in Flagstaff to be super smooth to run thru. Didn’t get as smooth as I expected, but it was much better.
The rears on my 2016 XCR chassis look to be a bit of a challenge, but the fronts look easy so I might just start with that. I was thinking about doing that anyway.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #40

I’m giving serious thought to making a change but wondering if Spartan will still stand behind there Warranty, or will they say “ not factory installed therefore warranty null and void, has anyone run into that issue? Thanks in advance
Old 10-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
2005 Newmar MADP

I checked the Koni website for availability of replacement shocks for my 2005 Newmar MADP. The website indicates that the Koni shocks won’t fit a Reyco 1460T IFS, which is on the MADP on a Spartan chassis. Anyone had experience with this?

Thanks
randyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=R.You can do the Koni EVO99s for under $700 and the valves from Source are pretty cheap. Might be the best solution. I posted a response I got from them earlier in this thread. Also don’t expect much in the way of communication from them.[/QUOTE]

I looked and didn't see the Koni EVO99s for a 2016 3436. Where did you go for them?

Tags
dutch star, koni, shocks