RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Right Side Mirror Wobbles!

Depending on the road and wind, our right side mirror wobbles quite a bit as we're driving. It has moved so much that it's broken the seal around the support where it attaches to the coach. Below is a pic looking down on the support.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get to it from under the front hood. There is a small opening under the support but that doesn't give access to the side where it attaches to the coach. Is there a way to tighten it?
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
A little wider picture would help, but usually there are 4 studs coming off of the mount that penetrate the body, and there are nuts on the back side. With mine I found that they used tiny little washers which eventually crushed the fiberglass. I removed them and installed large fender washers to spread the clamping force over a larger area. Problem solved.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
A little wider picture would help, but usually there are 4 studs coming off of the mount that penetrate the body, and there are nuts on the back side. With mine I found that they used tiny little washers which eventually crushed the fiberglass. I removed them and installed large fender washers to spread the clamping force over a larger area. Problem solved.
It's dark now but I'll take another pic in the morning. How did you get to the studs to change the washers?

Gary says that under the front hood, there is insulation that would have to be torn out to get to that area.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Looks like it has been a problem for previous owner as well ? Caulking / silicone job is pretty messy !
The insulation inside the fibrerglass area is likely a foam in place type. You can purchase spray can at Home Depot or ?. Strip off old, properly attach mirror mounts, and refoam if desired. Likely not really necessary in that small area.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Looks like it has been a problem for previous owner as well ? Caulking / silicone job is pretty messy !
The insulation inside the fibrerglass area is likely a foam in place type. You can purchase spray can at Home Depot or ?. Strip off old, properly attach mirror mounts, and refoam if desired. Likely not really necessary in that small area.
We're going to try to at least look at it tomorrow morning. I think there is a hardware store close by and hopefully, we can get larger washers and the foam insulation if we need it.

We don't think it's going to fall off but don't want water getting inside if we can help it. If nothing else, we'll get some more silicon and try to seal it till we get home and can tackle it there.

Thanks to both of you!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #6

It's actually under the chrome trim that is probably loose. If you can get the mirror off and unplugged, you should be able to remove the chrome cover and see how the mirror is attached to the body. I've had to tighten mine. It's under the chrome that needs to be caulked. If you can get it off, you'll see.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:31 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I just had mine fixed. Simple process. remove round cap on the bottom of the mirror. loosen the bolt and remove the arm assembly. Remember that there is wires hooked to the mirror so a second hand helps. I removed the cover and reattached the lag bolts. Works great now.
PM me with any questions -JM
Old 08-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

We loosened the large bolt from the underside of the mirror's arm but could not get the mirror off. Here are a couple of pictures of the arm & underside where the access to the bolt is.

We even tapped the underside of the arm through that hole to see if the arm would lift up. It didn't. We're afraid to use too much force and damage the side or mechanism where it attaches.

We're taking off for a few hours. Quake Lake is calling.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:20 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Silicone is VERY strong when used to seal something like the mirror. You'll need to take a razor blade and cut the silicone that is sealing the cover to the body. You might want to use some blue tape on the body and then carefully keep the blade flat to the body when cutting.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We loosened the large bolt from the underside of the mirror's arm but could not get the mirror off. Here are a couple of pictures of the arm & underside where the access to the bolt is.

We even tapped the underside of the arm through that hole to see if the arm would lift up. It didn't. We're afraid to use too much force and damage the side or mechanism where it attaches.

We're taking off for a few hours. Quake Lake is calling.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
I just finished tightening mine as well. You are on the right track with the tapping but it takes a good bit of tapping while at the same time someone lifts and jiggles the mirror arm. If yours is like mine, the mounting plate was fastened to the front cap with four 1/4" lag bolts which were loose, in fact one was totally stripped out and didn't hold at all. I replaced them with 5/16" lag bolts. Before I put the new lag bolts in I squeezed some 3M 5200 into the holes to help give the bolts some additional holding power.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The large bolt in the bottom pulls down on a cone shape is if it has been there a whils, even with the bolt out it will be tight as you find out. Continue to tap on it and move the mirror arm up and down. It might take some strong pushing pulling and jerking on it but that is how it is removed. Then as others have said remove the chrome cover to get at the 4 lag bolts that holds the mirror to the coach body.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #12

I'm pretty sure my arms are going to fall off but we replaced the bolts. One of the top ones was broken and it was obvious that they had been replaced before.

Gary applied glue to the bolts, scraped the old silicone off and resealed the cover. It doesn't move as much as it did so hopefully, it'll hold together till we get home.

For inquiring minds, here is what the sidewall looks like with the bracket thingy removed.

Thank heavens there was a wiring connector there so I could regain circulation to my arms. The upper left bolt was the one that was broken inside the wall. Gary says we're going to have to take it all apart and he'll try to drill that out when we get home.

Thanks to all! We couldn't have done it without you.

edited to add: It only took TWO trips to get what we needed.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:43 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting. I guess that they have to lag bolt them in because they attach to a blind area. On mine, I can reach the back sides of the studs through the front panel, but just barely.