RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Road condition Conn NY NJ

How is the road surface condition:

I95 west/south from Providence to I 287 Tappan Zee to I 78 NJ and PA.......

----or-----

I84 thru Connecticut to I84 thence I81 ???

My preference would be I 95....but it used to be the worst kept road in Connecticut......is it still ???

thanks
Rich

patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I highly recommend I-84 to I-81. Also, the old Tappan Zee bridge will be closed soon (I believe on Aug 25) and all traffic routed to one of the spans of the new bridge while they demolish the old bridge and finish the 2nd span of the new. This will undoubtedly cause some problems, especially at first.

lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
287 from I-80 to I-78 is no problem with some typical summer construction.

I-78 just started a resurfacing project so there's some milled roadway. They're also replacing the overpass by NJ Exit 11 so they may be closing some lanes in the near future. Two weeks ago, 81 (from Carlisle) and 78 were fine other than the typical bumps. I'll be driving 78 and 81 to Knoxsville tomorrow so I'll report if any bad areas.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:20 AM   #4

Don't worry about the road conditions. It's the tolls that will kill you up there. Lived in the dump called NJ for 50 years. Went back up last year and got a quick reminder of why I left. Another concern beyond road conditions----do not get caught with a gun in NJ. Many of us carry for travel protection.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #5

Not sure where you are going, but I would avoid 95 in CT, NY and 287 cross Westchester expressway. Condition of roads is not terrible but traffic can be. Go with I84. I have lived in this area my whole life, and it seems to get worse every day
Kevin
2016 Dutchstar 4018
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies.......Yes...I will take I84 and I81.

We leave in 3 weeks and are headed back to Florida after 3 months away in Maine and Rhode Island.......

I too am from NJ and am aware of the cost of tolls.... (you think there would be a senior discount, LOL ).......

Thanks
rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stveteran View Post
Don't worry about the road conditions. It's the tolls that will kill you up there. Lived in the dump called NJ for 50 years. Went back up last year and got a quick reminder of why I left. Another concern beyond road conditions----do not get caught with a gun in NJ. Many of us carry for travel protection.
Very good advice.
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When we leave the Boston area to go south, we usually leave around 8PM, getting to NYC at midnight. We will take I84-I91-I95 to the GW. Road conditions are not bad, the usual temporary lane closings due to summer repaving season, until you get around NYC. Taking I287 eliminates most of that. Tappan Zee tolls eastbound only now that they have implemented cashless toll, but they will go back to westbound when the new bridge is complete. Also there is the toll on the NYS thruway section of I287 if you don't get off at the GSP.

Two years ago I84 was a mess going thru PA, one lane, narrow with concrete barriers on both sides for five miles at a time. Google still shows road work in I84, I'd be interested to see if it has improved as I have avoided it for the past two years, even if it meant I paid toll.

I've found a fairly enjoyable way to go south is to take I287 around to US202 then cutting over to I95 through Philly at some point. This avoids the NJ tolls and the Delaware bridge toll. Then taking Del1, cutting over to US301 just before the toll, then to US50 to DC avoids the other Delaware toll and the Maryland toll. the US50 bridge into Annapolis has a toll but only in the Northbound (they call it Eastbound) direction.

Google will show you the first part of this route but you have to fool it to make it show you the last part, by putting a stop on US50 near the bridge. Takes about an hour more than the toll route, but that's the same time as the I84-I81 route, is 25 miles shorter and also goes through some pretty country (yes, there is pretty country even in NJ). More turns, though, and Google will route you through a couple of narrow roads for relatively short distances, but no concrete barriers on both sides!

BTW I have an NYS Thruway EZ-Pass. With that you can pay the car rate, even with the biggest motorhome, on the Thruway. A huge help if driving on long sections of it. Needed to prove the the plate was a motorhome with the Newmar, but the MA camper registration was good enough for the Roadtrek. Just checked the Tappan Zee toll, it was class MHM, but only $4.75 which is the car rate, so the discount works there too!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

I live in CT. I will take surface roads even in a car to avoid 95. We won't get onto 95 until Va. or south. Take 84 to 81. It's a bit longer but so much easier.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
I live in CT. I will take surface roads even in a car to avoid 95. We won't get onto 95 until Va. or south. Take 84 to 81. It's a bit longer but so much easier.
i also live in CT...eastern part, near UCONN Storrs...

i go over the top of the GW in the middle of the night....

roads are fine...tolls are what they are...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We went to DC twice this year so far in May and June, 95 the road condition really wasn't to bad from Providence to 287,,, we won't mention the bridges. Traffic was good after 8pm you'll be fine! 1st trip thru NJ and Penn (78) with a stop in Gettysburg 2nd trip straight down 95 to 66 in Va, to Bull run state park in Centreville Va

Damdannyboy