Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #1

Rock Guard to protect Toad ??

2016 DS 4369 on a FL chassis- What is everyone using as a rock guard for protecting their toad from rock damage....I am in the market and want to purchase the best system for protection, I am using the Blue Ox towbar....thanks for any input 🙂
flyingcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 11:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I would suggest, that to start with, remove and store the Newmar-provided full-width "rock guard" at the rear of the coach. In reality, in addition to providing Newmar brand advertising, in certain road conditions, it also actually kicks up rocks into the front end of your toad. REMOVE it. Your coach comes with effective mud flaps behind the back wheels that provide quite effective rock protection for your toad. As you can infer from my strongly stated advice above, I have some bad experiences with our Newmar-issued full-width rock guard. (There is considerable debate on irv2 about the full-width mud flaps. Search for it.)
RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #3

I put extensions on the wheel flaps cut from a generic flap from evilbay.
Used stainless bolts and fender washers, and they sit 3" off the ground.
Added a full width "hula skirt" to the back of the coach too.
We tow a minivan on a dolly and it shows no signs of rock chips or dirt, with 4 trips from Colorado to Florida and back.

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	347036  
Old 10-24-2021, 02:37 PM   #4

Stiff wheel guards are all you need! We never received damage to our Jeep... even all summer in Alaska.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I've got a rock guard that has been on my MH since Nov 2011. 10 years of towing the car and not one mark on the car anywhere and none on the back of the MH. It is called Protect A Tow, it is a net looking device that hooks to the back of the MH, across the full with and to the Toad across the front just under the front end. It is sold out of Washington State by the big tow bar outfit. I'll see if I can get it and post it for you.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Here's link to Amazon
Protect-a-Tow, MH-9854 Towed Vehicle Protection for Vehicleshttps://www.amazon.com › Protect-Tow-MH-9854-Mot.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I put extensions on the wheel flaps cut from a generic flap from evilbay.
Used stainless bolts and fender washers, and they sit 3" off the ground.
Added a full width "hula skirt" to the back of the coach too.
We tow a minivan on a dolly and it shows no signs of rock chips or dirt, with 4 trips from Colorado to Florida and back.

Mike in Colorado
I have done the exact same thing on my last two rigs and couldn’t be happier. Very simple solution.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best protection we got for our dinghy when we had a motorhome was......
protectatow.com

Ken
Old 10-24-2021, 08:21 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The best protection we got for our dinghy when we had a motorhome was......
protectatow.com

Ken
Yep this is the one I have used for over 10 years to protect my Honda. It als keeps the back of the MH clean. Not one ding, love it
Old 10-26-2021, 12:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rock Guard to protect Toad ??

flyingcash….
I’m with sgtjoe and Txiceman in touting the Protect a Tow. I’ve had one for about 9 years now. I also run with a Roadmaster Rockguard that previous owner gave me with the coach when purchased in 2012, and a big full width mudflat that was also on the coach when I bought it. In truth I’m planning to remove and trash the wide flap when I get around to it, and sell the Roadmaster Rockguard, also when I get around to it.
I believe these last two are superfluous. The PaT is the only thing needed. The geometry is by far the most sensible. Stretched flat as it is, any grit or stone that might be lifted will hit the bottom of the PaT screen at a very oblique angle and be reflected harmlessly back down to the street.
Two caveats I will offer re installation:
1. The PaT mesh is made of a PVC type product. If your coach has a rear exhaust the PaT mesh will likely rest upon it and melt. You must fabricate or buy a stand-off device to keep the mesh screen at least an inch off the exhaust pipe. Side exhaust is no factor. I’ve attached a photo of the device I made up. (pic taken from below)Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	347226
2. After several uses the pvc mesh get very dirty and sooty from exhaust soot, road grime, etc. that all rubs off easily. Wear gloves; be careful of your other clothing.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad