Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #1

Rock guards

Just installed Blue Ox base plate and tow bar for my Bar Star / Buick envision set up. What kind of rock guard do you recommend? The Bay Star doesn't have the long flap that hangs. The Blue Ox Karguard is about $400 which seems ridiculous for a screen. You can by the flap that hangs for much less.

Any thoughts? Thanks
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We covered the subject fairly thoroughly here, including some options:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/poll...on-360556.html
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #3

We pull an Envision and bought the Karguard. It works well and is easy to setup for use. I agree it's expensive but it works well. I considered the shield but storing it is a pain.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
We pull an Envision and bought the Karguard. It works well and is easy to setup for use. I agree it's expensive but it works well. I considered the shield but storing it is a pain.

Are you using the deflector or the flat screen?

And how do you like pulling your Envision? Any tips I need to know?
hogcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogcard View Post
Are you using the deflector or the flat screen?

And how do you like pulling your Envision? Any tips I need to know?
The shield is the deflector I have the screen. I like how it adjusts as you turn. It rolls up to store. Easy to use,.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgebobk View Post
The shield is the deflector I have the screen. I like how it adjusts as you turn. It rolls up to store. Easy to use,.

X2. That is what we have as well.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Yes, we use ProTectaTow. has worked well for 3 years. Not a solid shield, but easy to use and store and easier $$$. TB
TANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:26 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My DS came with the black hard plastic vertical Blue Ox screen. Have not used it yet. Looks like lots of work to install and take down every time? Any opinions about it?
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Haven't installed any type of rock guard, but then again we are pulling a Jeep, also good 15' from tires to jeep.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rock guards

My DS came to me with a full width flap installed, which many forum folks advise is naught but a source of problems. One of my first actions was to raise the flap so it rode at the proper ride height of at least 6-8" above ground. I can honestly say that the great preponderance of full width flaps I've seen on the road are installed far too low, leading, I believe, to the bulk of the complaints.
The previous owner had also purchased a Roadmaster Guardian Rock Guard, which he included. Mounting and demounting demands about 15 seconds at each end of a trip.
Shortly after buying the coach I bought a Protect a Tow, mainly because it struck me as being the most logical and effective design. I have been using all three devices for about 5 years and have suffered no scratches at all on my toad. I believe I could do away with the full width flap and the Rock Guard and use only the Protect-a-Tow, and enjoy the same result, but I simply haven't bothered.
Hogcard, I would advise you to check out the PaT. At a touch over $200 it is reasonably priced. I think the Blue Ox protective devices are highly overpriced.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote