RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

Roof Damage

I noticed a small hole in the white roof coating on my 2018 Dutchstar. I covered the hole with a 6" X 6" Dicor patch. I've been searching for information on what type of roof I have, but haven't found much. I'm guessing it's TPO from what I have read so far. I could see some type of black foam type material bulging out of the hole in the white roof coating. I'm curious about the over all roof construction. It seems very soft when I walk on it, and I'm concerned about damaging the roof. I occasionally hear a slight cracking type of noise when I step in certain places. Anyone have any details on this roof?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	295233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	295234  

12Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

I'd call Newmar customer service. They will need your vin #

Old 07-31-2020, 03:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Down View Post
I noticed a small hole in the white roof coating on my 2018 Dutchstar. I covered the hole with a 6" X 6" Dicor patch. I've been searching for information on what type of roof I have, but haven't found much. I'm guessing it's TPO from what I have read so far. I could see some type of black foam type material bulging out of the hole in the white roof coating. I'm curious about the over all roof construction. It seems very soft when I walk on it, and I'm concerned about damaging the roof. I occasionally hear a slight cracking type of noise when I step in certain places. Anyone have any details on this roof?

Should be a fiberglass roof.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #4

I emailed Newmar customer service Wed but still havenít heard back from them.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I emailed Newmar customer service Wed but still havenít heard back from them.
You're more patient than I am. I'd suggest a phone call. It may result in a short time waiting for a technician but they're quite good about being available. As someone said, be sure to have your VIN # with you.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushy View Post
you're more patient than i am. I'd suggest a phone call. It may result in a short time waiting for a technician but they're quite good about being available. As someone said, be sure to have your vin # with you.

Rb
*(800) 731-8300‬

rb
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your DSDP roof is fiberglass.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #8

I'll stab a guess that when the solar panels or other were installed that a little foam tape fell astray and when they sealed the roof, they just coated it. Eventually the sealant detached and you are left with what you are seeing.
Since the roof is fiberglass, you could just scrape the dicor off and then the foam and clean it up with some more dicor. Good opportunity to go around the roof and reseal spots that look iffy.

The soft roof is typical. Not much material up there to be stiff, but it's good enough to walk on gingerly and to keep the rain out. On mine, it's fiberglass (gel coat on top), then Luan plywood, and then the aluminum rafters, fiberglass loose batt insulation, and then the ceiling liner (more luan, foam insulation board, foam backing, vinyl). So you are only stepping on a thin piece of fiberglass and luan with rafters on 16 inch centers.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #9

Thanks Dav L for the roof construction description. From your description, it sounds like I am just looking at a foam/dicor coating on a fiberglass roof. Is the fiberglass roof waterproof in itself regardless of the coating? Do you occasionally hear a cracking noise when you step on certain places on the roof? It's kind of subtle but it could be normal for the fiberglass to adjust/give under the weight of my foot. This coach is new to me and I'm still a little concerned about causing damage when I walk on the roof.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Dav L for the roof construction description. From your description, it sounds like I am just looking at a foam/dicor coating on a fiberglass roof. Is the fiberglass roof waterproof in itself regardless of the coating? Do you occasionally hear a cracking noise when you step on certain places on the roof? It's kind of subtle but it could be normal for the fiberglass to adjust/give under the weight of my foot. This coach is new to me and I'm still a little concerned about causing damage when I walk on the roof.
I think the foam is just an extra piece that should have been removed by whoever put the dicor on (solar cell installer?).
Yes, some cracking noises are to be expected.
Just walk gingerly on the roof. Don't know how much you weigh (don't need to) but certainly the more the more opportunity for damage. I am 165lbs so don't tax it too much. Remember that the roof spars are every 16 inches....so if you are really trying to be careful, figure out where they are and walk ontop.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Here is a picture from my 2018 4369 same area of the roof. You can see what the stock fiberglass roof finish looks like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	295965  

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #12

I didnít realize the coating on my roof wasnít stock. Iíll have to ask the guy I bought it from if he added the foam/coating. Thanks for the pics.

Tags
roof