Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Roof Drain Issue

I am reading about roof drain issues, but I cannot find what folks are talking about. Please let me know as we will be doing our walk-through very soon.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #2

Roof Drain Issues....

Not sure which model you're about to walk through, but later model Dutch Stars (we have a 2017) has roof drain catch basins positioned at each corner of the roof edges with a screen cover helping to prevent debris from entering the catch basin. The catch basin then drains via an approximate 1/2" - 3/4" plastic tube that extends vertically down to the front and rear lower interior corners of the coach. The previously mentioned (1/2" - 3/4") openings of the drain tubes notoriously get clogged with debris that finds its way through the catch basin covers/screens as it does not take much effort for these drains to clog due to the small drain tube openings.

End result requires the catch basin covers to be removed (not difficult) to then run a thin but sturdy flexible material down/up through the drain tube. I'm using a 15' Husky "snake" purchased from the plumbing department at The Home Depot and using the smaller diameter end to clean my drain tubes.

Hope this answers your question.

rtm
17DS4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #3

If ours is like what you are talking about we have a 2017 MA and the roof drains on it run down thru a tube inside the outer wall and our a rubber pinch sleeve to the ground. All four corners have this. We had a problem with ours getting plugged and causing it to puddle on the roof. The water found another way down and ended up finding an area that hadn't gotten sealed well at the factory and causing it to leak inside at the P.S. side window. Our shop told us we need to keep these drain holes clear from dirt and leaves and pine/fir needles. That will be a twice yearly check and clean out for us here on out.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #4

In addition to the plugging. Some have had the drain lines get pinch inside during construction. The pinch created a no flow situation or very very slow.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

We are getting a Ventana 34. Not sure we will have the drains, but I will look for them. Thanks
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #6

Nope, don't think you'll have drains.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issues in my Essex. Ended up reaming out the holes in that screen plate to allow more stuff to pass through and not pond in the roof gutters. One issue I believe is common is there is a tight gradient tolerance on the horizontal section of line, extending forward towards the front corners of the coach-before it turns downward to pass through the A-pillars. If you have a slight uphill run along this line, you can check by adding water into the catch basin, a little at a time, watching how high the water stands before moving out. That will tell you there is an uphill run which is slowing down the flow. Typically, slow flow means opportunities for build-up in the lines which will impair flow-and mold to build up. Often, I would tug downward on the vertical section of line and it would eliminate some of the uphill run in the horizontal section of the lines, allowing this water to flow better.

The lines are actually 3/4 in. Pex. I removed those rubber pinch sleeves and attached a Pex coupling with bottom threads. (Couldn't see any value in those rubber thingys...) Then I could attach a hose and do a reverse flush upward and back into the catch basins, clearing the lines. Actually, the rubber sleeves do nothing but slow down flow from the roof, so what's the point?

Overall, a nice effort by Newmar, but still needs a bit more engineering to work better.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #8

Those rubber "duck calls" are intended to keep small critters out, like mud daubers. The real problem is the way they are attached. they put a screw through the rubber and pipe which puts a roadblock in the middle of the pipe. I took out the screw and used tie straps to secure the rubber to the pipe.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:07 PM   #9

roof drain

a quick shot of low pressure air in the rubber duck on the drain end will blow out the debris onto the roof or down the side of the coach
Old 04-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I found that a smaller guage fish tape works well keeping the drain clear.
JPietri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPietri View Post
I found that a smaller guage fish tape works well keeping the drain clear.
be careful on how much pressure you put when it reaches the bends. Seeing how newmar installed some of these, you could be going against a kink, and the pressure would move the entire assembly, causing a disconnect.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof