Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #1

Roof leaks and soft areas

Hello once again! Looks like I'll be a regular on the forum. The low blows just won't stop coming with this coach!

We have recently had a couple of hard rains here in South Florida. Those rains have revealed what was my fear. The coach has roof leaks! The problem is, I don't know how long they've been a problem since I just picked this coach up. I crawled up on the roof, and it doesn't look like anything has been maintained well,, or if at all!

You can see where I cleaned in prep for the Eternabond, the cleaned dicor makes it easy to see the cracks.

So, I started researching how to fix all this. And, decided to cover every seem with Eternabond because that seems like the solution that people are happy with.

The thing is..... while I was up there, I couldn't help but notice the roof being soft in spots. Especially at the rear passenger side. I stepped, heard wood crack a little, and felt the roof give a bit. This made me real concerned. For one, am I going through the roof at some point up here? And secondly, just how long has this leak been going on?

In reading another thread here on iRV2. I didn't even think that a roof leak could cause the floor to warp, which might be the case. By the shower, where you saw the above pictures, as I walk through the hall, I noticed a dip. It doesn't seem too spongy, but there is definitely a dip there.

Before picking up the RV, I did notice a leak discoloration in the fabric of the valance above the entrance. I had asked the dealer about it. And, they said, "Is it wet now?". "No", I say. "Must have been fixed." I didn't think to enquire about it further.

There have been a few issues with this RV since I picked it up a few weeks back. This, and an issue with the Norcold Fridge. I'm feeling like I've had a bag pulled over my head and taken for a ride.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
KJB

Sorry about your woes and even more sorry that I can’t help you. But I am curious where you are staying in South FL. The picture makes it look like a very nice place. We just returned from a trip to South FL for RV shopping and to check out RV parks.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #3

Is there a "Discloser Law" with RVs like there is with houses? You might check with the FL Attorney Generals office.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #4

You might need to find an independent inspector and have them look at the interior.

Somebody not affiliated with the dealer.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi snovak,
You've taken the first step by sealing every roof seam and opening with EternaBond. Now consider:
1. watching for additional/continuing leaks. There should be none.
2. Let the coach dry out.
3. Newmar Brite TEK roofs do tend to give (feels soft) when walking on the roof. Mine has felt this way since day one. Right now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Continue monitoring for leaks. With EternaBond on the roof, my money is on a dry coach.

The floor may be a different story.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
If the previous owner had a shower over flow and did not suck up all the water with a vac the floor may have got water under the tile.
Check the trap under the shower and make sure the p trap is not loose, can be seen with vent off bottom of shower.
As Gary said with all the new tape on roof that should be sealed now.
The area where the roof rap meets the side wall has a seam that maybe dried out and needs new sealant and also along the floor level that seam may need new sealant. These are along the length of coach. Florida sun sure does dry out the sealant.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

The particle board on the roof may have been wet and is rotted. It is possible to pull back roof rubber and find the soft spot and cut it out and replace with waterproof plywood and re glue roof. good luck
brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

Hey Folks,
Again, thanks so much for all of the feedback.. @007, I've taken off the vent and peered in there. I can't see any signs of water damage. I think the biggest problem with this coach is it's lack of attention. It's an 07, with 13K miles, which is one of the reasons I bought it. It's barely used. But, in turn, it's barely maintained. I've been working non-stop for the last week trying to patch her up from past neglect. I just don't want to be replacing a roof. I'll probably have a local tech come take a look at the roof for his professional opinion. @007 I took a look in the shower trap, doesn't look as though there was any water damage. The particle board doesn't look swollen, etc. As for the sealant on the roof caps, I've redone all of that as well. It had definitely separated. I have cut out the remainder and resealed it with rtv silicone. The moment of truth will be tomorrow. I plan to let a hose run up there for a while.
@KJB, This is my in-laws place in Davie, FL, my home town. More like a home city now-a-days. Used to be nothing but cow pastures and orange groves. Now, it's full of world class shopping malls and Mercedes. There is a real nice park close by, Markham Park. There's a bunch of stuff to do there. And the Rv parking is pretty quiet since it borders the glades.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by snovak View Post
Hey Folks,
Again, thanks so much for all of the feedback.. @007, I've taken off the vent and peered in there. I can't see any signs of water damage. I think the biggest problem with this coach is it's lack of attention. It's an 07, with 13K miles, which is one of the reasons I bought it. It's barely used. But, in turn, it's barely maintained. I've been working non-stop for the last week trying to patch her up from past neglect. I just don't want to be replacing a roof. I'll probably have a local tech come take a look at the roof for his professional opinion. @007 I took a look in the shower trap, doesn't look as though there was any water damage. The particle board doesn't look swollen, etc. As for the sealant on the roof caps, I've redone all of that as well. It had definitely separated. I have cut out the remainder and resealed it with rtv silicone. The moment of truth will be tomorrow. I plan to let a hose run up there for a while.
@KJB, This is my in-laws place in Davie, FL, my home town. More like a home city now-a-days. Used to be nothing but cow pastures and orange groves. Now, it's full of world class shopping malls and Mercedes. There is a real nice park close by, Markham Park. There's a bunch of stuff to do there. And the Rv parking is pretty quiet since it borders the glades.
Markham Park is very nice. I live in my stick house about 1.3 miles south of it. If you need an extra set of eyes, I am available till the 10th of May.
Good luck.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, roof