Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
Roof oxidation

2006 Essex roof gelcote is oxidized and powdering, when washed it looks like diluted milk running off. The result is white waterspots all over the coach. Anyone else have this problem.

I'm considering sanding the white gelcote and painting it, any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks,
JVR
JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #2

Definietly a big draw back to fiberglas roofs. They must be maintained. Many boat manufacturers paint their fiberglas hulls to minimize upkeep effort. We found that with regular wash/wax the gelcoat stayed good on the boat, but went with Newmar's BriteTEK, which requires minimal maintenance, on the RV.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread that maybe of interest.

If all else fails try this.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #4

I agree with the bit about getting too old to go up on the roof and work it by hand. But, I have washed the roof with a stiff brush and detergent and then put on a coat of the 303 Protectant each of the three years I have owned this coach. The 303 is not too hard to use, spray on and wipe, and is "supposed" to provide UV protection. I'm not going for a gloss shine, just trying to preserve the fiberglass.

We just met a couple whose coach with an aluminum roof was damaged in a hail storm. They had the roof repaired by spraying on a heavy coat of white pickup bed liner after the dents were filled in. It looked good and it seems logical that the liner material might hold up well. It certainly held up in my last truck for over 7 years.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #5

I also looked into having the Rhino Liner installed on my roof. Here in AZ the sealant on the seams, vents & skylights dries up quickly & requires regular attention. After doing some research, I decided that the bed liner was too heavy to be installed so high up. My concern was mostly having that much weight on the roof, plus getting caught in a high cross wind, as we often get. I went with this product, and after a year or so, I'm pleased with it. No more caulking, and the only maintance is a once a year washing. Also, the warranty is pretty good. Here's the link: RV Roofing Solutions

DutchBoy
DutchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #6

On my 06 Essex, the clear coat, not gel coat, is coming off. Talked to a painter and he said he would sand it down, repaint and put two coats of clear coat on. It is mostly on the front above the windshield and over to the side seams.

I have heard of others with the same problem. Newmar was taking care of it when under warranty, but mine is nearly 5 years old, so no warranty.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
On my 06 Essex, the clear coat, not gel coat, is coming off. Talked to a painter and he said he would sand it down, repaint and put two coats of clear coat on. It is mostly on the front above the windshield and over to the side seams.

I have heard of others with the same problem. Newmar was taking care of it when under warranty, but mine is nearly 5 years old, so no warranty.
Joe,

I'd be curious to know what the cost estimate was for the work to sand, repaint and re-clear coat that area was for your coach. My 05 MADP is beginning to show signs of the clear coat peeling and I'd like to know what I might be in for.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #8

Quote:

My 2005 Dutch Star had the clear coat peeling off the tops of the front and rear caps and along the side radiuses (between the fiberglass roof and the sidewalls). Newmar told me they would eat 60% of the cost to repaint it if I would pay 40%. I had Newmar do the work. They told me they were giving the same deal to all out of warranty motorhomes.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #9

Interesting. Will check into that. Although we are west coasters, we plan on going east for the International next year.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
JVR

Newmar Owners Club
After using 3M cleaner and wax for gel-cote the roof shines like new, but after washing, the water spots on the paint are unchanged. The problem is not from the roof but from the local water supply.
We washed the coach and rinsed with local water, but followed up with a rinse using a hand sprayer filled with distilled water and blew it off with a leaf blower and it looks perfect.
Oh well, the roof needed a little TLC anyway.
JVR
JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
Joe,

I'd be curious to know what the cost estimate was for the work to sand, repaint and re-clear coat that area was for your coach. My 05 MADP is beginning to show signs of the clear coat peeling and I'd like to know what I might be in for.
John,

I don't have an estimate yet. Waiting for the mobile painting guy to arrive in the desert. Was too hot last year when I asked him to do it. He suggested waiting for cooler days. When he gets here i will get a number and post it.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR View Post
After using 3M cleaner and wax for gel-cote the roof shines like new, but after washing, the water spots on the paint are unchanged. The problem is not from the roof but from the local water supply.
We washed the coach and rinsed with local water, but followed up with a rinse using a hand sprayer filled with distilled water and blew it off with a leaf blower and it looks perfect.
Oh well, the roof needed a little TLC anyway.
JVR
JVR - which products did you use? I am going to follow your footsteps and want to use the same products.

Thanks,
Joe
PoetryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
John,

I don't have an estimate yet. Waiting for the mobile painting guy to arrive in the desert. Was too hot last year when I asked him to do it. He suggested waiting for cooler days. When he gets here i will get a number and post it.
Great. Thanks!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
What is the 303 product that keeps getting mentioned? Thanks
rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote