Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Roof rattle?

I have a 2008 Dutchstar 4320+ have a "roof rattle" that seems to be coming from the drivers side above the sofa behide the drivers seat.It sounds like a loose piece of tin rattling in the wind+ does it spuratically.
I have had it back to the dealer several times to no avail.I think it is the metal slide cover+ that is slack,just wondering if anyone else has had such a problem+ what the solution was?
Thanks Bruce
Bruexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

My rattle was the microwave metal vent to the outside. Tried all kinds of recommended fixes and nothing worked. Finally had the vent cover removed and no more rattle. If I opened the driver side window when the vent was rattling it would stop you might try that as a way of isolating the problem.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
My mystery "rattle" was the strap from the pulling out window awning slapping against the top of the window frame when the wind was just right --- it took us many trips to locate that one!!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #4

Check your drivers side mud flap behind the left front tire. It's amazing where we think the noises are coming from and where they actually are. It took me three years to find I had some screws loose and missing from the mud flap and I would have sworn it was coming from above. Go Figure!
Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Like Skipper I has the mud flap noise also. This was on the passenger side. It took me quite a while to determine the cause. I thought it was the main or door awnings, basement doors, TV antenna, etc. It was difficult to pin down. The noise happened only occasionally. It was when I was being hit with strong winds from the passenger side. There was nothing missing. I had to drill a couple of holes and wire tie the bottom 1/2 of the flap to the chassis.

It was dumb luck I hit upon the solution. The bottom line is the mud flap was the only thing loose on that side of the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #6

Thanks for all your suggestions so far,but there is no question where this "noise" is coming from,upper drivers side+ the only thing that I can see that would make this "flapping tin noise" is the metal wrap on the awning.The end is open to the wind+ I am sure it is getting in under it sometimes.The tech's have tried all the obvious things+ are having a hard time believing what I am telling them.Hopefully when it comes back from the shop this time,the problem will be taken care of?
Will let you know if they solve the mystery!
Bruce
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bruce,
If the noise remains, try covering or stuffing something in front of the awning. See if the symptom changes.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Bruce we had a noise the drove me crazy, on the roof area over the dining area. Well one day the DW was coming back from who knows where and when she came into the Motor home said I found the problem.
We had put a new type vent cap on the sewer vent and as she was walking back she watched it spin back and forth into the wind direction. Outside just a little noise, but inside sounded like part of the roof was coming off.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #9

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.Just got a cal from the service center reporting that they hopefully have found the problem.As a couple of you said,it happens to be the mudflap.Hard to believe that it translates into "noise on the roof "? From now on ,I won't be quite so sure of myself in diagnoising future problems such as this.
Anyways Thanks to you all again+ I will see if in fact this is the case when I pic it up next week?
Bruce
Old 11-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #10

Bruexx, sounds like a possibility. Hope it works. It's comforting when you can locate and cure a rattle that loud.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #11

Bruce. Do you think that just maybe the techs are following this post?
Goodturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #12

Who knows whether they follow this forum,I doubt it,but if they don't,I am assuming they contacted Newmar for a fix+ it goes to show you that the issue may be more prevelant than one would think!!
Once I get the MH back I will let you know more.
Bruce
Old 11-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #13

Just got my MH back,it was the metal flap in front of the front wheels,"flapping in the breeze".What difference that makes in terms of improving the noise of the MH.I wouldn't have believed it,if it hadn't happened to me.
Thanks again for all your responses!!
Bruce