Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #1

Rope lights

Hello fellow campers I have a 2002 mountain aire 4095 I posted last month about how to turn the rope lights in the living room. I found out the previous owner tapped the wire off from the switch. I connected back to switch 3out of 5 rows came on thought it was fixed.boy was I wrong. I was watching the lights row by row went out checked the fuse box. Fuse was blown. Was a 20 amp put a 30 amp in 1row came on Iím wondering if there is a short some where any suggestions.thanks rickh56
Rickh56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #2

TAKE the 30 amp fuse out !

You could easily melt a wire in an area you can't access it to replace before that fuse blows .

Yes you have a short .
You may be able to isolate the issue if you can track down a junction between the 3 strings that lit up and the two that didn't.
Once you have found that junction disconnect all lights and install a 20 amp fuse and turn on the switch , and wait , to see if the fuse blows . if the fuse holds then the switch and wiring to the junction are ok .
Hook the strings of lights up one at a time if possible and leave them on if they do work for 10/15 mins to test .This is for parallel wired lighting.
If the lights are all in series and you can locate a separation point, separate them , starting with the closest lights to the switch hook them up to test operation ; again for 10+ mins , connect the next set , if it doesn't light up disconnect immediately and remove the string and so on till all stings have passed testing . Replace strings as required.

Tags
light, lights