Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2022, 10:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rotating your RV tires

Ok dump question time, we have a 2022 Newmar Bay Star 3124 .....how do you rotated these tires when you get the mileage on them (less say every 5000 miles or aren't you suppose to rotate these ? I'm sure it's expensive ,lol
Fattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2022, 05:00 AM   #2

There is no need to rotate them at all, unless you see uneven tire wear on one or more of them. IF you have Aluminum wheels, you can only rotate them from side to side, which is usually pointless.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:22 AM   #3
Official iRV2 Sponsor

The tires would have to be broken down to rotate. Pay attention to the wear on them. Best thing is to keep your tire pressures correct.
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration

SM Nashville 972-697-6325
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've read this discussion several times on this forum. Most don't believe it's necessary to rotate RV tires. To some degree I also believe that but from years of experiences with cars and small trucks it does not hurt to rotate (swap) tires. Here's what I've always done with our RV's.

Front tires are swapped side to side. Why?? If there is some slight tire differences swapping the tires rotation direction and any slight differences will go away. I'm not suggesting a worn tire shouldn't be a concern mostly based on alignment.

Even when or if a tire isn't showing any wear there can be slight differences change in a tires position (footprint) and sometimes it can create a noise that is not heard before rotating them. That is also called a "Tires set."

Also had a front tire that pulled one way. Some alignment guys call that a, "Radial tire pull." After rotating the front tires, the pull went away. When I rotated the tires back the next year the pull didn't return. Something to be said for a tire developing a "SET and tire rotating.

Now to the rear tires. Most of us have different types of metal stems on rear tires so we can more easily check and fill tires. I will rotate rear tires but again just swapping so the left outside tire is still on the outside right and the same for the inner tires. I don't loose my access to the tire valves.

More importantly while my tires are off I also treat all sides with 303 Aerospace rubber treatment. My tires are 19.5". I understand why some won't rotate the larger tires because of weight and lug nut (450 FT/LB) torque. I can't easily pick up my RV tires either. I grab a tire iron or pry bar and lever them up and on to the hub. I'm positive one can do the same with the 22.5" tire/rims as well.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don’t have that kind of money to rotate my RV tires. I rides and drives like an RV!
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:54 AM   #6

On the 4 coaches I've owned I have never swapped or rotated the tires. Your tires will age out-7-8 years old from DOT date- before they ever wear out! That's assuming about 8,000 miles per year traveled.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do understand. Life is about choices. I choose to swap my tires because I believe it makes sense, however minor others might think and all it costs are a few hours of work. At age 78 + it hurts and isn't always easy but does not stop me from doing the work. IMHO!!! In the long run it will help you to continue doing the work.

It also provides an opportunity to examine the inside of each tire sidewall to check for lost weights, bulges, tread separation or issues with that part of the tire we can't easily see. Especially on the rear tires.
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Changing tire direction by switching tires to the opposite side helps in stoping any type of wear patterns that might be starting. No need to dismount tires just switch wheel and tire assembly to the other side. Does not take long with the right equipment. You would want to do this maybe three times in the life of the tire. While tires are being switched makes for a good time to do a visual on brakes and suspension parts.
Rog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
In 33 years of owning an RV with dual rear wheels, I've never rotated the tires. It's just not practical. Our current coach has a tag axle. On a coach with a tag, if you get some unusual wear on a front tire, you can move it back to the tag and the tag up front.

A couple of things about tires......other than overinflated or underinflated tires which may show outer edge wear on both edges of the tire (underinflated) or more center wear (overinflated) you can't do anything for unusual tire wear. On underinflated and overinflate you can adjust the air and prolong the tire life. If the tire is only wearing on one side, that can't be corrected and will progress at an accelerated speed. When a tire wears on one side, it starts to "scuff". A tire will scuff off rubber faster than it will wear off.

Lastly, I personally NEVER change the direction of travel of a tire. That's why the Owners Manual in your car recommends rotating tires front to rear, not in an "X" pattern. When you change the direction a tire rolls, it can cause it to separate. This is why it becomes impractical to rotate RV tires. To do it correctly, they would have to be dismounted and moved to a position that rotated the same direction.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
What Dutch Star Don said
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM   #11

Rotate tires ONLY if uneven wear. Period.
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #12

I've got a simple rotation process - put transmission in drive.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #13

Year 4+ in our Bay Star 3414 on 34k chassis (now with 28,000 miles). Even the owner's manual says rotating tires not needed unless there's obvious uneven wear. Expense aside, unless you're driving it as much as your truck or car, it's not practical or necessary.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
In 33 years of owning an RV with dual rear wheels, I've never rotated the tires. It's just not practical. Our current coach has a tag axle. On a coach with a tag, if you get some unusual wear on a front tire, you can move it back to the tag and the tag up front.

A couple of things about tires......other than overinflated or underinflated tires which may show outer edge wear on both edges of the tire (underinflated) or more center wear (overinflated) you can't do anything for unusual tire wear. On underinflated and overinflate you can adjust the air and prolong the tire life. If the tire is only wearing on one side, that can't be corrected and will progress at an accelerated speed. When a tire wears on one side, it starts to "scuff". A tire will scuff off rubber faster than it will wear off.

Lastly, I personally NEVER change the direction of travel of a tire. That's why the Owners Manual in your car recommends rotating tires front to rear, not in an "X" pattern. When you change the direction a tire rolls, it can cause it to separate. This is why it becomes impractical to rotate RV tires. To do it correctly, they would have to be dismounted and moved to a position that rotated the same direction.
I agree. I think the X pattern rotation kinda went away with bias ply tires.

Tags
tire, tires