Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #1

Rotted floor under fresh tank

On my 2018 Essex the floor under the fresh water tank is rotting out and has holes in it.Has anyone had this problem with their Newmar product?
Thanks
Randy
Mans Racing is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 05:28 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The way the overflow has been set up on these coaches by Newmar sure seems to be a path to rotted flooring unless you did the overflow correction, which included extending the overflow tube.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 11:08 PM   #3
dp7

Sounds like leaking rear wheel wells when driving in the rain.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #4

No Help from Newmar.Does anyone know if the fresh thank can be removed from the pass. side of the coach?2018 Essex

Thanks
Old 03-29-2023, 01:30 PM   #5

Might be easier to replace the floor under the tank / plumbing instead of removing the tank to access the floor. If you are experienced doing fabrication, then an eyeball and tape measure is what it takes to advise what's the way to access and remove stuff.

Sorry don't have more specific info to share.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:17 PM   #6

Check rear fender well.I had holes in it. I removed tank and rebuilt floor .
jumpingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans Racing View Post
No Help from Newmar.Does anyone know if the fresh thank can be removed from the pass. side of the coach?2018 Essex

Thanks
I have a 2019 London Aire and I think yours is the same and yes, you would remove the pegboard or it my be your TV if you don't have a TV in your side wall. Here is a pic is with the pegboard removed exposing the tanks, when the plumbing and 2 hold down straps are disconnected they just slide out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	389209  
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:28 PM   #8

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
You also have to get into the wet bay to remove tie down straps and disconnect some water lines
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:31 PM   #9

I’m fully committed now.Floor is rotted with a big hole in it next to the wheel wells.I would like to post some pictures but I’m not smart enough to do it.Can anyone help me out with that?
Old 03-31-2023, 05:42 AM   #10

It is likely leaking at the wheel wells.This is a known problem at Newmar. I had the same problem with my 16 DS.
I recommend checking to see what type of insulation you have between the basement floor and the belly pan.Some early coaches used fiberglass batts for insulation between the floor and the belly pan that holds moisture and will rust the belly pan and basement frame rails.

With mine I first noticed small pin holes in the belly pan. Newmar diagnosed as a wheel well leak. Ultimately replaced the bulkhead between the wheel wells and wet bay, wet bay floor,entire belly pan. They removed all the fiberglass insulation and replaced with rigid foam insulation.
Also installed new HMW plastic wheel well liners and frame rail block off to seal the bulkhead.
Newmar had the coach for a week to repair and they agreed to repair at 50% of the cost. I’m very happy with the results and the coach is better than new.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:11 AM   #11

Here is what I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rv water damage.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	362.8 KB
ID:	389342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rv water 2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	697.5 KB
ID:	389343  

Old 04-01-2023, 08:29 AM   #12

Pictures are upside down.Well you can see what I’m dealing with.Why would you ever use OSB FOR This application?Going to replace with marine plywood. Got to cut everything out first and figure out where the water is coming in.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:56 PM   #13

NEWMAR 2016-2018 water leaks BIG need to read !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mans Racing View Post
On my 2018 Essex the floor under the fresh water tank is rotting out and has holes in it.Has anyone had this problem with their Newmar product?
Thanks
Randy
2015 - 2018 Newmar would get water in the space under floor of the bays.The water would get pick up by the tires in the rain and spray on the bottem of the floor and then run down the frame of the coach to the under belly of the coach the bottem under the bays floor. Then as you drive the water would get spalashed on the OSB WOOD (NOT PLYWOOD) and make it rot.
Newmar cut the bottem off our 2016 DS 4 times. Becouse it would hold 100 GAL of water under the bay floor beflore it would start leaking out.
Newmar now has put low point drains on the bottem of the skin of there coachs and use a new leak check system to try to stop the water leaks from the outside in.
AS a side note do NOT store you coach with a full tank of water it will sweat like a glass of ice tea on a hot summer day.
Recommendatation replace floor under tank with marine plywood NOT OSB.
JC 4018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 08:15 PM   #14

Need to look at water tank vent and over flow !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC 4018 View Post
2015 - 2018 Newmar would get water in the space under floor of the bays.The water would get pick up by the tires in the rain and spray on the bottem of the floor and then run down the frame of the coach to the under belly of the coach the bottem under the bays floor. Then as you drive the water would get spalashed on the OSB WOOD (NOT PLYWOOD) and make it rot.
Newmar cut the bottem off our 2016 DS 4 times. Becouse it would hold 100 GAL of water under the bay floor beflore it would start leaking out.
Newmar now has put low point drains on the bottem of the skin of there coachs and use a new leak check system to try to stop the water leaks from the outside in.
AS a side note do NOT store you coach with a full tank of water it will sweat like a glass of ice tea on a hot summer day.
Recommendatation replace floor under tank with marine plywood NOT OSB.
Look at your pic's you have a water leak from the outside or the inside.
On top of the water tank is a vent and a hose that gose up and then gose down to the floor you need to over fill the tank and look for leaks and look at the auther side at the tank drain to see if it is leaking.Then look at the gray and black tanks when full.
Good luck hunting.
JC 4018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, tank