Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #1

Rough ride

I have always thought that our coach (2013 Dutch Star 4318) has a rough ride but many of the interstates we have traveled have been pretty crummy. We had Koni shocks put on and I have correct tire pressures. Is there some other piece of equipment or part on the frame or somewhere else I can check to see if something else is wrong? The banging and racket when hitting some of these roads is bad at the driver's seat and awful back in the coach.

George Bist
gcbist@gmail.com
George Bist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bist View Post
I have always thought that our coach (2013 Dutch Star 4318) has a rough ride but many of the interstates we have traveled have been pretty crummy. We had Koni shocks put on and I have correct tire pressures. Is there some other piece of equipment or part on the frame or somewhere else I can check to see if something else is wrong? The banging and racket when hitting some of these roads is bad at the driver's seat and awful back in the coach.

George Bist
gcbist@gmail.com
What are your tire pressures George?

Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
Community Moderator

I feel your pain, but I have found mostly it’s the really poor roads. When we have been on some really good secondary roads everything is as smooth as silk.

Go back and drive the same sections of road in your car, and you will feel the bumps and cracks in the road as well.

One other thing came to mind.....have you had your ride height checked? Not having an air bag inflated enough could cause extra roughness.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #4

rough ride

Fronts are 105 and all 4 rear are 90 at cold inflation. No, haven't had ride height checked. Not exactly sure what needs to be checked. Are you talking about the air bags that I deflate when leveling the coach?
Old 05-10-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bist View Post
Fronts are 105 and all 4 rear are 90 at cold inflation. No, haven't had ride height checked. Not exactly sure what needs to be checked. Are you talking about the air bags that I deflate when leveling the coach?
Those pressures look correct for a Dutch Star George. I agree with the post that you might want your ride height checked at a Freightliner? shop. They can also be sure your air bags are properly inflated. That's about all I can think of... I know that some of the roads are torture tracks for an RV, much smoother in a car.

BB
Old 05-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #6

OK, Bill, ride height check at a FL is on my calendar. Thank you.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The only issue we had with shocks was the porpoise in the front with the factory shocks on the 4327. Spartan replaced them for free, but I had to pay for installation. Still, some roads are extremely rough. We try to remember which ones and avoid them in the future.

BB