RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

Rough Roads

We are currently heading back north from Texas and found some rough roads today between Nashville and Louisville while driving our 2009 Newmar Ventana. I can't say our ride was ever really smooth (we have only owned this motorhome for just over a year now) unless we were on a really smooth road, but today I just wanted to stop and get out of it. She steers great with the comfort drive, but the rough highway was all but finger nails on a chauk board for my nerves. I run the tire pressures at the recommended pressure from Newmar and had full fuel and half tank of water to try and help the bumps. I would guess if you drove this highway with your car, you wouldn't even notice the bumps. Is this normal for this motorhome? Are there better riding motorhomes out there? Is there anything I can do to adjust the ride? (adjust the air pressure in the bags?) Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shaken and stirred.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar recommended pressure on the sticker is maximum. On my DS is 130psi on the sticker for the front. I run at 110psi front and 85 tears and tag.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Newmar recommended pressure on the sticker is maximum. On my DS is 130psi on the sticker for the front. I run at 110psi front and 85 tears and tag.
Yup, corner weights and the tire inflation charts will help a lot to soften the ride.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Yup, corner weights and the tire inflation charts will help a lot to soften the ride.
As for the tire pressures, I have tried to go lower to 100 psi front and 90 rear. A little better but nothing great. And what are corner weights???
Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Heli_fixer".....I found my Dutch Star to be very rough riding. I changed hocks all the way around about a year after I bought it new. At the time, Koni only offered their Koni Red shocks for the front IFS. I put the Koni FSD's on the rear and tag. I could feel the improvement in the rear, but the front stayed the same. About a year later, Koni finally came out with a shock designed for the IFS, it's called the Koni EVO.

The Koni EVO took out about 65% of the harshness in the front end. I no longer hear/ see the front shade shake and rattle like it use too. I can hear a thump on rough roads, but don't feel most of them.

With that said, I also run my tires as low as I can without causing unusual wear. On my 4018 DS, I run 110 psi and get good tire wear.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Heli_fixer".....I found my Dutch Star to be very rough riding. I changed hocks all the way around about a year after I bought it new. At the time, Koni only offered their Koni Red shocks for the front IFS. I put the Koni FSD's on the rear and tag. I could feel the improvement in the rear, but the front stayed the same. About a year later, Koni finally came out with a shock designed for the IFS, it's called the Koni EVO.

The Koni EVO took out about 65% of the harshness in the front end. I no longer hear/ see the front shade shake and rattle like it use too. I can hear a thump on rough roads, but don't feel most of them.

With that said, I also run my tires as low as I can without causing unusual wear. On my 4018 DS, I run 110 psi and get good tire wear.
The shocks helped that much? I will definitely look into that. Seems like a pretty easy change out.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:19 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Koni EVO shocks are like an FSD internally but made for heavier rigs. Took out a lot of the hard jolts on my 20,000# front axle but still seem a little light even though my front axle pnly weighs 18,000#'s
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #8

Air pressure is the key for me and my DSDP. Weigh your coach 4 corners and go to the charts. I just drive 1700 miles from Florida to New Mexico. 30-50 mph wind, some rough roads and it was a piece of cake. Smooth as silk. Shocks are 8 years old with 43,000 miles on them. With my coach, the more it weighs, the better it rides.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #9

Thanks all. I hear that the Dutch Stars are one of the best riding coaches out there though. I will take all suggestions and run with them.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli_fixer View Post
As for the tire pressures, I have tried to go lower to 100 psi front and 90 rear. A little better but nothing great. And what are corner weights???
Tire pressures are the easiest and cheapest way of attempting to get a better ride. On some highways I have observed slowing down or speeding up a few miles per hour can help with certain road conditions. I find depressed transverse joints the worst as the tires seem to pound on each one.

You get the coach weight on each corner of the unit. Front axle left and right and rear axle(s) left and right. Some highways scales on our area are always on and have a flat area on each side of the platform. I run the coach onto the platform one axle at a time and then one side at a time. By adding and subtracting the weights I can determine the load each wheel position is carrying.

If there is a serious difference side to side it would be appropriate to see if the weight can be made more uniform by moving stuff from side to side.

The weight on the heavy side of the axle is used to determine the tire pressure on all of the tires on the axle.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are a few tips on tires and tire pressure as for better ride, shocks can make a difference also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #12

Thanks all. You guys are the best.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Agreed. Newmar doesn't publish or recommended tire pressure that is custom to any coach because they don't want the liability associated with such recommendations since the tire pressure is a result of the axle and 4 corner weights. Therefore, they publish the maximum psi the wheel and tire can accommodate to kind of cover they backside. At maximum PSI the OP's coach much ride stiff and hard and every little bump will jar the coach and everybody and everything in it. The OP needs to get his 4 corner weights done and then ride with the appropriate tire pressure which sill seem like he just added 10 shocks per tire because the ride will be so much smoother and comfortable. On our Ventana we run 110 in the front, and 90 for drive axle and tag tires. We took it to Freighliner in Gaffney and they did the 4 corner weights and told us what to run. I know the problem the OP is having because when we bought our first Newmar we did the same thing, looked at the sticker and ran the max cold PSI and I swear for the few months we rode like that, we took 10 years off of the service life of our coach because it got beat up so bad by the high pressure.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire pressure and suspension (shocks and possibly air bags) can helpt to "Smooth" our rough roads a little bit.

But alas. Nothing but a major shift in Government spending on highway maintenance is going to fix it.