RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Round Newmar ceiling ac return vents

Our 2004 Newmar DS has (2) rows(11-13 ea row I believe) of the round ceiling vent for the ducted air and run parallel front to back. One row is for the ac/heatpump air flow and the other row is for air return and each vent has filter mater to catch the dirt/dust etc. I need a source/link for the "round return vents" that hold the gasket material. Have only been able to locate the air flow out round vents but not the ones that hold the gasket. Newmar ol parts appears to only have the outflow ones and not the ones that hold the gasket material.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not familiar with Newmar coaches, but you might try here as they had vents that fit my Tiffin:
Venting Products - DW Inc.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In our two DSDP's the vents were the same. The filters just sat on top of the grill unit. I bought new filter material at a local Fred Meyer (Kroeger owned) and cut it to fit. It was cheap enough that I didn't worry too much about washing and reusing it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #4
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I'm not familiar with Newmar coaches, but you might try here as they had vents that fit my Tiffin:
Venting Products - DW Inc.
Does your Tiffin have the (2) rows of round ceiling vents that run from front to back, where 1 row handles the return air and each vent has a filter; the 2nd row vents are open and dump either cool air or warm air? I had previously looked at the above link you mention and found (2) possibilities; this one- Venting Products / AC Vents / "Bigport" #9850 Louvered RV AC Ceiling Vent - DW Inc. and this one- Venting Products / AC Vents / "Jet Stream" #8950F Foam Filtered Large Louvered RV AC Vent - DW Inc. which are for this filter- Venting Products / AC Vents / Foam Filter Insert For "Bigport" #9850 and "Jet Stream" #8950F Vents-Set of 5 - DW Inc.. I might have to wait until Monday and call Newmar parts and see if they have something similar but not shown ol. The one that they show ol is the airflow one only.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put the filter material only in the return air row vents. Get a sheet from Lowes & using an old one as a template, cut out as many as you need to make a second set. Then when they need changing next time, just replace with clean one. (They are washable!) Saves one step in process.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In our two DSDP's the vents were the same. The filters just sat on top of the grill unit. I bought new material at a local Fred Meyer (Kroeger owned) and cut it to fit.
Thanks Mr_D,

I think your probably right as for the filtered/unfiltered OEM vents being the same. The current ones that have the filters have a plastic extension of sorts in the louvered section that allows one to snap this part only out leaving the ring that's attached to the ceiling. I probably over thought this as I ordered what looked like my vents from the Independence RV OL store(Amazon). They arrived today and the louvered vent section on these does not appear to have as long of an extension. You can only removed/replace the louvered vent section so many times to change the filters as plastic can be less that durable and break. Like you, I have made my own replacement filters by buying enough of the ac foam material from Home Depot/Lowes where I keep (3-4) changes on hand.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Put the filter material only in the return air row vents. Get a sheet from Lowes & using an old one as a template, cut out as many as you need to make a second set. Then when they need changing next time, just replace with clean one. (They are washable!) Saves one step in process.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
Have been doing that for some time now. Great minds think alike don't they. I usually change find that our filters need changing about every 4-6 weeks max.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Does your Tiffin have the (2) rows of round ceiling vents that run from front to back, where 1 row handles the return air and each vent has a filter; the 2nd row vents are open and dump either cool air or warm air? I had previously looked at the above link you mention and found (2) possibilities; this one- Venting Products / AC Vents / "Bigport" #9850 Louvered RV AC Ceiling Vent - DW Inc. and this one- Venting Products / AC Vents / "Jet Stream" #8950F Foam Filtered Large Louvered RV AC Vent - DW Inc. which are for this filter- Venting Products / AC Vents / Foam Filter Insert For "Bigport" #9850 and "Jet Stream" #8950F Vents-Set of 5 - DW Inc.. I might have to wait until Monday and call Newmar parts and see if they have something similar but not shown ol. The one that they show ol is the airflow one only.
Yes I have two rows of round vents as you describe. My coach came with the 9850 vents for both the air delivery and return sides. The problem was I couldn't adjust the air delivery side, so I replaced those vents with the 8850 Fully Adjustable Venting Products / AC Vents / "Jet Stream" #8850 Fully Adjustable Large RV AC Ceiling Vent - DW Inc.

The diameter is a bit larger than the originals so I had to widen the holes a bit. It was well worth the effort as I can now adjust the air delivery. I have three A/Cs so when it's hot during the day I can turn on the bedroom A/C and close those vents which forces more air toward the front of the coach.

I'm attaching one photo of the original 9850 and two of the 8850 adjustable vents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Vents 010.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	130568   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Vents 016.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	130569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Vents 017.jpg