Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #1

Had this posted in general. I would like to try it here also.
Over the last four gas RV's I have owned, I have never run the Engine during the winter storage,just the Gen Set. Now I have a KS Diesel pusher . I added storage gas additives and winterized it. Now may question. Should I run the engine once a month or so along with the Generator or not?

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Jimbo8264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #2

Over the last four gas RV's I have owned, I have never run the Engine during the winter storage,just the Gen Set. Now I have a KS Diesel pusher . I added storage gas additives and winterized it. Now may question. Should I run the engine once a month or so along with the Generator or not?

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Old 11-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like to run my coach during winter months just to keep the feel of what its like to be behind to wheel again it helps me and my coach. Take it for a nice Sunday drive between the games.
Put on the Gen and run the AC's they will like the ride also what do we care what people think.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
before i put it to bed i change fluids and filters as needed put in an anti gel and park it till i need it in the spring..worked on all my mh so far
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We try to use ours as much as we can. After I do winterize it, we take it out at least twice (Jan. and Feb.) and drive to a Walmart or shopping mall. It is a 60- 75 mile round trip for us and while the wife shops, me and the dog hang out in the rig, watch TV, exercising the genset, heat pumps, etc. Helps with the cabin fever, you know.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:23 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbo8264:
Over the last four gas RV's I have owned, I have never run the Engine during the winter storage,just the Gen Set. Now I have a KS Diesel pusher . I added storage gas additives and winterized it. Now may question. Should I run the engine once a month or so along with the Generator or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really shouldn't have had any but I hope you didn't put a gas additive in the diesel fuel as your messsage seems to indicate.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #7

Jimbo 8264

Re; Running diesel during winter storage,

Approaching 5th winter with 400 hp. diesel and I've started every 10-14 days. I let in run at high idle, using the cruise control procedure and let it run until a good amount of heat comes out of dash heat vents.

I run diesel genset the same way, with full load, 2 heat pumps and electic mode on hydro heat set at 70 degrees.

I use diesel fuel additive to start and keep tank full to avoid condensation and algea.

Hope this info helps== AIME=== AJBJRVERS==
Old 11-05-2006, 04:20 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbo8264:
Over the last four gas RV's I have owned, I have never run the Engine during the winter storage,just the Gen Set. Now I have a KS Diesel pusher . I added storage gas additives and winterized it. Now may question. Should I run the engine once a month or so along with the Generator or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cummins would advise not to run engine at all. Put it away with dirty oil and channge when you bring out. The problem with their recommendaion is that others want you to operate the motorhome to lube the seals. So, these folks say drive it forward and back several feet to lube the seals. That's not good for engine. The best way is as some others have said. Take it out when the roads are clear and the sun is shining and drive it until its good and hot; maybe a 50 mile round trip or double that if practical or something similar. This takes care of both Cummins concern and the others. While out on road, run genset with a good load on it. I usually load it down with some high wattage space heaters plus run air conditioning units and with the newer heaing units even more load. Finally, run the dash air because the ac unit is suspectable to seal dryout also.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The best thing for your engine is to change all of the fluids and fill the diesel tank and add a diesel fuel conditioner. Or take it and DRIVE it for at least 1/2 hour about every 4 weeks.

To set and let it high idle until you just get heat out of the vent is not good for the engine. By doing this you do not let it get good and hot and drive the moisture out of the oil and exhaust system. A diesel does not produce a lot of heat at idle and only only marginally more at high idle. The diesel has to work to produce heat.

You have to run it long enough and get it hot enough to drive the moisture out of the engine. Idling will not do it. This is more harm than good in my opinion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:43 AM   #10

Thanks to all for the advice. Guess I will just run the Gererator and let the Diesel rest for the winter. Most of the winter the RV will be not be accesable to drive because of the snow. Thanks again.

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally