Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Running 2 GPS systems

I like to run 2 GPS systems while traveling since my in dash is a garmin but not the rv version. I run rv live app on my phone. I'd like a bigger screen than what my phone provides for the rv life app. How would I do that for minimal cost? I'm not very technical anymore so please reply in words for a technical dummy. [emoji1787]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #2

Do you have a tablet? It might work on that.

My wife uses her iPad for that.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Do you have a tablet? It might work on that.

My wife uses her iPad for that.
No I don't. Starting from scratch.
Old 09-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Android tablets can be had for pretty cheap.
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Android tablets can be had for pretty cheap.
Are you saying I can run the app from my phone to the tablet? It wouldn't have wifi to run the tablet by itself. Or do I need wifi to run the tablet and app?
Old 09-27-2021, 06:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
I like to run 2 GPS systems while traveling since my in dash is a garmin but not the rv version. I run rv live app on my phone. I'd like a bigger screen than what my phone provides for the rv life app. How would I do that for minimal cost? I'm not very technical anymore so please reply in words for a technical dummy. [emoji1787]
Let's unpack this a bit.

1. What model is your Garmin?

2. What make and version phone do you have?

3. Does your phone and cell plan have the ability to create a hot spot?
Old 09-27-2021, 06:43 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Unfortunately if you bought a tablet you'd need a means to keep the app live and updating route along the way with your current location, corrections due to accidents, etc.. this would mean you need cell phone service or a means to get Wi-Fi. Now predicated on your cell phone service you might be able to provide the tablet Wi-Fi via a Hotspot on your phone otherwise you might need to add the option to your cell phone plan. Cost varies can be $10-15 a month or get a new plan that includes it. To me it might be better to buy a Garmin RV785, RV890 or RV1090 or another brand or model. In the long run this is your best option vs. a monthly fee.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #8

I like to run two systems and wanted a larger screen as well. I shopped this for a while and ended up just getting the 10" RV GPS from Garmin. The mount was easy as it's designed to be mounted. Although I did make a more permanent mount. My dash GPS is Clarion and I keep it updated but can't trust it alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GarminRV.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	344362  
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:02 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Garmin 770 mounted on my A pillar and an iPad Mini running Co Pilot RV mounted on my dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount 1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	731.8 KB
ID:	344368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount 3A.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	344369  

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

We have a Samsung Android tablet that has built-in GPS (not all do) and is equipped with 3G technology so it can receive cell phone data. Or did, as it is an "AT&T unit" and we are currently on Verizon. So I just hotspot my phone to it when we travel
I understand you use/enable "offline" maps so you wouldn't have to have a cell data connection but I haven't bothered. We also use the tablet to stream online music through the coach's radio.
You can clean up a lot of that by simply upgrading the vehicle to a better all-in-one type stereo. Music, streaming music, GPS apps of your choice, video, rear view camera display, crossword puzzles, who knows what all one will do. I've retrofitted one of our other vehicles with such a one and now my wife is demanding one for her car. Or actually, demanding that I get around to installing the one I've long since purchased.

Being only occasional weekend travelers, the rigamarole version for the coach has been OK with me so far. Plus I'll have the tablet with me anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have an in dash unit that I run for the trip. I mounted a 7" Magellan to the hand rail near the passenger seat. If we need to double check a route or look for something not on the dash unit, my wife can operate the Magellan and find things like rest stops, banks, supermarkets or verify what the dash unit is doing.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. This will get me started. I did look at the garmin rv gps and they are quite pricey I thought. If I traveled every day it might be worth it but in the winter I go to south Texas and know the way and don't need the GPS. I'd only use it some in the summer when we go to Colorado and North. Just don't think I can justify 500 bucks or more and the updates required.
Old 09-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
Thanks for all the replies. This will get me started. I did look at the garmin rv gps and they are quite pricey I thought. If I traveled every day it might be worth it but in the winter I go to south Texas and know the way and don't need the GPS. I'd only use it some in the summer when we go to Colorado and North. Just don't think I can justify 500 bucks or more and the updates required.
Personally, I just don't see the need for having an RV specific GPS, unless you plan to drive farm roads often the beaten path. Most people travel interstates or other major highways. If a road looks sketchy to me, I'm not going down it. Even if a campground is well off the main road, they're not going to have spaces big enough for a large coach if the roadway into it isn't big enough or has a low bridge.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:47 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Personally, I just don't see the need for having an RV specific GPS, unless you plan to drive farm roads often the beaten path. Most people travel interstates or other major highways. If a road looks sketchy to me, I'm not going down it. Even if a campground is well off the main road, they're not going to have spaces big enough for a large coach if the roadway into it isn't big enough or has a low bridge.
I'm not sure I agree. I've been to many CG's over the years that cater to big rigs like mine and have mutliple ways to get into the CG predicated on the direction you're coming from. I'll agree no RV GPS is 100% accurate but neither is google maps or even waze in my personal experience over the years but I still wouldn't travel anyplace without my RV GPS, I'd rather be safe than sorry, JMO. I've seen many Tractor Trailers, RV's and even 5ers, thought it was safe and end up stuck under a bridge lower than they planned. In fact those that might be familiar with Lowell, Ma. might recall the Prince Spaghetti bridge and how many drivers hit that bridge... Prince Spaghetti might be long gone but not that bridge on a main drag from Lowell to Billerica. man I can recall way too many to count.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, gps