Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2016, 07:44 AM   #1

Running new coax from outside to inside front driver's side

I am hoping to install a portable satellite in the near future. However, it appears the outside coax originally run by Newmar has a splitter in the ceiling so that may be out of the question for use. If I run a new cable, I would prefer to run RG-6 anyhow. Question is how to get the cable into the coach. I looked under the hood this morning (2005 Workhorse gas coach) and can see on the driver's side where Newmar nicely sealed a couple of cables coming from the inside of the coach to the outside.

Has anyone ever run a new cable that can provide any insight? Don't want to run through a window or drill a lot of holes if possible.

As an alternative, does anyone know where to find the splitter between the outside and the bedroom TV's?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We use a piece of pipe insulation and run the cable through a pop-up window. The insulation keeps the rain out and puts the cable right where Ineed it so no fishing cable.

I know you said you didn't want to do it this way but it does work for us.

Good luck!

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I am hoping to install a portable satellite in the near future. However, it appears the outside coax originally run by Newmar has a splitter in the ceiling so that may be out of the question for use. If I run a new cable, I would prefer to run RG-6 anyhow. Question is how to get the cable into the coach. I looked under the hood this morning (2005 Workhorse gas coach) and can see on the driver's side where Newmar nicely sealed a couple of cables coming from the inside of the coach to the outside.

Has anyone ever run a new cable that can provide any insight? Don't want to run through a window or drill a lot of holes if possible.

As an alternative, does anyone know where to find the splitter between the outside and the bedroom TV's?
I guess this depends on where you are planning to install the receiver ??
Old 06-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #4

Receiver will go (hopefully) in the front driver's side cabinet where the DVD, etc. are located.

The wiring diagram I have for the coach doesn't show location of the splitter, only that there is one in the cable as the outside TV and the bedroom TV use only one cable up to the splitter.

Other option is to use the cable TV inlet and not connect cable when using the satellite. Hate to do this though.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Receiver will go (hopefully) in the front driver's side cabinet where the DVD, etc. are located.

The wiring diagram I have for the coach doesn't show location of the splitter, only that there is one in the cable as the outside TV and the bedroom TV use only one cable up to the splitter.

Other option is to use the cable TV inlet and not connect cable when using the satellite. Hate to do this though.
Don't know where your splitter is .... I have a mid-coach cabinet.
Reason I asked is that the X2 (from your other post) primarily uses a VIP-211z or k receiver which has an IR (line of sight) remote.

In my old coach (a Holiday Rambler), I ran a coax thru the firewall and left it coiled under the cowl.

BTW, with an X2 and a VIP211Z, I can use about 50 ft. (maybe 60) of RG-6 coax .... at 75 ft. I start dropping signal.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

I am exploring a similar approach to bring it in through the firewall.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #7

On my 2005 KSDP I just pushed it up from the bottom through the foam and ran it up the side of windshield to the overhead cabinet where the receiver box was. Did not have to drill any holes.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #8

We had Newmar run a cable from the front media cabinet, through the front pedestal (?) and into the front bay where the big nest of wires and fuses live.

I don't have a clue how they went about doing it but it works!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Running new coax from outside to inside front driver's side

I have a satellite feed in to that cabinet that terminates on the roof where the Satellite dish used to be. So I decided to get a tripod and set up the dish on the ground. To accomplish this I plug the dish to the cable connector next to the power regulator, in the rear cargo bay. This coax connection is also connected to the cabinet above the drivers head. which is also wired to the cabinet I connect that coax to the receiver and the receiver to the front tv with hdmi

Also hooked up the component connection to the tv switch box. Now have satellite on 2 tv,s.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I have a satellite feed in to that cabinet that terminates on the roof where the Satellite dish used to be. So I decided to get a tripod and set up the dish on the ground. To accomplish this I plug the dish to the cable connector next to the power regulator, in the rear cargo bay. This coax connection is also connected to the cabinet above the drivers head. which is also wired to the cabinet I connect that coax to the receiver and the receiver to the front tv with hdmi

Also hooked up the component connection to the tv switch box. Now have satellite on 2 tv,s.
I thought about using the cable input for the satellite, however it is RG-59 and about a 40 foot run. I have been told this might be problematic. Also, if I do this, then it will be a choice of either connecting cable or the satellite. Is that how you use this setup?

Have to admit, if this setup works well it sure is the easiest to implement.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

That splitter is located midship in the ceiling somewhere. Ours has the same setup and getting to it would be virtually impossible. You should be able to access the inside in the area you see the cables entering now. Take down a piece of the window interior pillar molding and tuck the cable in there and then into your upper cabinet. It shouldn't be that hard to do. Good Luck hope it works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
That splitter is located midship in the ceiling somewhere. Ours has the same setup and getting to it would be virtually impossible. You should be able to access the inside in the area you see the cables entering now. Take down a piece of the window interior pillar molding and tuck the cable in there and then into your upper cabinet. It shouldn't be that hard to do. Good Luck hope it works out.
I think I also need to drop the panel that the side shade and the windshield curtain attach to in order to get it into the cabinet. I had that off last fall (it actually fell off due to rough roads) and have since re-attached with screws replacing the original staples from the factory.

Just want to clarify, you connect your portable satellite dish to the cable connector in the driver's side rear compartment and it works OK? Do you ever connect to cable rather than the satellite, and if so, do you simply move the connector in the cabinet or do you use a switch?
Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #13

My setup is the same as Texas Tom. I use the cable connection for my portable satellite. Plug in my Direct TV receiver and enjoy TV just like home. On single overnight stay I do not set up the portable dish and just use the site provided cable. Take the cable from the Direct TV receiver and plug it directly into the TV. Tell the TV to use cable input rather than the HDMI input I use for satellite.
Hope this helps and you don't have to run any more wires or drill any holes. Safe travels.
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Pursuit View Post
My setup is the same as Texas Tom. I use the cable connection for my portable satellite. Plug in my Direct TV receiver and enjoy TV just like home. On single overnight stay I do not set up the portable dish and just use the site provided cable. Take the cable from the Direct TV receiver and plug it directly into the TV. Tell the TV to use cable input rather than the HDMI input I use for satellite.
Hope this helps and you don't have to run any more wires or drill any holes. Safe travels.
Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the same setup, and if it doesn't work out, I can run a separate cable later. It also simplifies bringing the cable in from outside because the cable goes in the slot where the power cable goes and runs right into the compartment.

I would really like to have a switch rather than moving the cable all the time as it would be much easier but not sure of any losses that would occur as a result.

Tags
driver