RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Running OTA antenna signal to cable connection

I'm trying to do something that logically should work, but doesn't. Need help understanding.

My 2019 Ventana 4369 came with the Wineguard over the air (OTA) antenna, located in a plastic dome on the roof, with the booster/selector switch on the wall next to the passenger seat.

For cable, there is a coax connection in the electrical bay. To watch cable, you need to switch off the booster/selector switch and select "cable" on the TV.

If I'm a little too far from the nearest network tower, the signal coming from the OTA antenna is not strong enough to produce a good picture on the TV.

I was traveling with a friend this summer who had the Bat Wing antenna on his coach and his reception was much better than mine.

I bought one of these Bat Wing antennas and connected it to the coax in the electrical bay. I shut off the OTA booster/selector switch, selected "cable" on my TV and did a channel search, but nothing came in, I mean nothing, zero channels.

Should this have worked? Is there something that is preventing the TV from receiving OTA signals through the cable connection?

I tried connecting the Bat Wing antenna directly to the back of the outside TV and got tons of channels, way more than I was receiving with the original antenna, so the antenna works.
traveller333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #2

No this can't work. Over the air and cable use different modulation on the coax cable so the TV would need to be set to OTA to receive anything.
csuder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:53 AM   #3

I believe you will need to add a 12v booster to that line also. You could just swap the cables at the switch box to test the batwing for reception. I recently took my batwing down and put a King OA8300 head on my mast. Almost doubled my channels.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This solution may depend on how often you need to do this. For us, we have a home spot in the summer that we stay for 2 to 3 months. The signal to the Winegard was poor. We actually needed to place a mast with an antenna on it to get a signal. I am not suggesting you build a mast but here is what we found regarding wiring...
On the wall in the passenger side basement bay in front of the pegboard bay there are a variety of control units etc. There should be a coax splitter there that is the master for the coach. The winegard signal comes from the antenna down through the booster/rotator then onward to this splitter where it is then distributed to all the tvs.
Turn off the winegard, Go below and remove the input connection into the splitter and connect the coax from the batwing (or other antenna source) into that splitter input. Keep the tvs all set for antenna and do a channel search.
Now, regarding signal strength, you will likely have a poor signal without boosting it more. We used a powered booster that we bought on amazon and all tvs worked great.
When you're ready to move just switch the input cables back and you're back on the Winegard.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Do u remember which OTA antenna power booster u purchased on Amazon? We also have the King OA8300 head on top of our MH and even with the existing oem boost our reception is often subject to less than optimal reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
This solution may depend on how often you need to do this. For us, we have a home spot in the summer that we stay for 2 to 3 months. The signal to the Winegard was poor. We actually needed to place a mast with an antenna on it to get a signal. I am not suggesting you build a mast but here is what we found regarding wiring...
On the wall in the passenger side basement bay in front of the pegboard bay there are a variety of control units etc. There should be a coax splitter there that is the master for the coach. The winegard signal comes from the antenna down through the booster/rotator then onward to this splitter where it is then distributed to all the tvs.
Turn off the winegard, Go below and remove the input connection into the splitter and connect the coax from the batwing (or other antenna source) into that splitter input. Keep the tvs all set for antenna and do a channel search.
Now, regarding signal strength, you will likely have a poor signal without boosting it more. We used a powered booster that we bought on amazon and all tvs worked great.
When you're ready to move just switch the input cables back and you're back on the Winegard.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I Believe that this is the booster we purchased.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-30-2020, 07:14 AM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thank you for that info. Checked on Amazon and they are out of inventory at this time but will check again later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Mac View Post
I Believe that this is the booster we purchased.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
Thank you for that info. Checked on Amazon and they are out of inventory at this time but will check again later.
That mfg has several different models. I don't remember why we selected that particular one but it helped signal quality at all the tvs.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #9

Excuse the slight off subject question, but I believe those members participating in this thread maybe able to answer a quick cable/OTA question. 2019 Ventana LE with standard cable connection in electric bay, Winegard OTA antenna, Winegard Control, three Visio flat screens.

Question, to watch TV on cable, connect cable in electric bay, Winegard off, TV set to cable input, run channel scan, select desired TV channel from scan results. For OTA turn on the Winegard, select OTA input on the TV, run channel scan, select channel from scan results. Correct procedure or not??? Comments?

PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:19 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDr View Post
Excuse the slight off subject question, but I believe those members participating in this thread maybe able to answer a quick cable/OTA question. 2019 Ventana LE with standard cable connection in electric bay, Winegard OTA antenna, Winegard Control, three Visio flat screens.

Question, to watch TV on cable, connect cable in electric bay, Winegard off, TV set to cable input, run channel scan, select desired TV channel from scan results. For OTA turn on the Winegard, select OTA input on the TV, run channel scan, select channel from scan results. Correct procedure or not??? Comments?

Correct.
Don't forget to point the OTA in the direction of the source towers.
If cable comes in snowy, I have found that frequently the problem is an old weathered jack at the campsite post.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:39 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Running OTA antenna signal to cable connection

In addition to switching on the booster when you want to watch OTA tv a switch on a selector box usually needs to be pressed to select tv vs cable. The OTA booster is between this box and the OTA antenna. When selecting cable (Different input to the switch box) the booster is not in the circuit and therefore cannot power any antenna connected to the cable input in the el bay. It makes sense that you didnít get any channels when connecting your bat wing (which needs boosted power) antenna to the cable input in the back. Have you selected antenna (on the switch box) as input to the appropriate tv and are you scanning OTA channels ( and not cable) on the tv?

Tags
antenna, cable