Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Checklist Apps for your Phone?

Has anyone used these (e.g., RVCheckList, RV CheckIT!,..)? Trying to pick the best one to automate my checklists (packing, Camp Setup, Camp Breakdown, Maintenance,..)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2023, 01:18 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know that years ago, I made a few lists for things but never ended up using them. I also know that it's pretty easy to make lists on your phone or a laptop these days. Again, even though they are there, I think you'll soon find that you don't use them. My point, don't go crazy making lists, unless you're one of those that just has to have them. (Pilot )

When we break or set up camp, my wife has her duties and I have mine. Things like strapping the table and lowering the sat. Locking the sliding doors and refer door, etc. We double check each other which only takes a few seconds on a walk through.

When it comes to maintenance, I actually created two lists, one that contains all my filters, belts, and capacities. The other list is the actual maintenance list. I no longer do everything on the maintenance list on the same dates. I created these lists in Word and tweaked them from coach to coach. I keep the lists in a three-ring binder. It sounds old school, but when there is no internet, computer or there are phone issues, I have the lists. When I do my maintenance, I just write in the mileage and the date next to each item. I also keep a laminated lube chart that shows all of my lube points in the binder. Great for use when lubing and doesn't get dirty.

More importantly, I keep specialized items in the binder. As an example, I have photos of the various fuse panels printed in color on (8.5" x 11") photo paper. If I blow a fuse, I can look at the photos and know what panel in the coach has that fuse.

Procedures like adjusting the slides, adjusting the power shades or any other procedure I've had to look up in the past, I print and keep in the folder, even a list of engine codes. When there is no internet, I have everything in the binder. It's taken years, but I add to it as I go.

OIL & LUBE
DATE/MILES DATE/MILES
ENGINE
ENGINE OIL CHANGE _________________________________
ENGINE OIL FILTER _________________________________
FUEL FILTERS _________________________________
HYDRAULIC FAN FLUID _________________________________
DESICCANT FILTER _________________________________
POWER STEERING FLUID _________________________________
POWER STEERING FILTER _________________________________

CHASSIS

GREASE FITTINGS _________________________________
DRIVE SHAFT _________________________________
FRONT HUBS _________________________________
LUBE LEVELERS _________________________________
(SILICON ON SHAFTS)
SLACK ADJUSTERS _________________________________
DIFFERENTIAL _________________________________

TRANSMISSION
TRANS FLUID & FIL _________________________________

GENERATOR
GEN OIL 150 Hrs _________________________________
GEN OIL FILTER 150 Hrs _________________________________
GEN FUEL FILTER150 Hrs _________________________________
GEN AIR FILTER 150 Hrs _________________________________
COOLANT Yrs _________________________________

OASIS FUEL FILTER _________________________________
(Century Transfer Fluid)

2019 Newmar Dutch Star
VIN:
UNIT #607408
ENGINE ISL 450 HP SER #

OIL - LF 9009 FLEETGUARD
AIR - 062891 001 PARKER RACOR Ecolite
FUEL PRIMARY - R61709 DETROIT
FUEL SECONDARY - FF63009 FLEETGUARD
ENGINE BELT - 3972263 CUMMINS
(Optional) 080830 NAPA
(Without A/C 25-080726
FAN DRIVE BELT 01-32155-676 CUMMINS
POWER STEER FILTER - T1808G
PS filter (O-Ring) 14-15612-000
DESICCANT FILTER - Wabco

ENGINE OIL
15-40 ROTELLA 26 QUARTS W/FILTER

TRANSMISSION OIL (ALLISON MH3) TRANSYND

ONAN GENERATOR 8500 MODEL #8HDKAK-1046N
15-40 ROTELLA 3 QUARTS W/FILTER

OIL FILTER- 122-0833 ONAN
AIR FILTER 140-2897 ONAN
FUEL FILTER 0541-1442 ONAN

COOLANT- Peak

HYDRAULIC FAN FLUID Mobil Delvac 75w-90
POWER STEERING FLUID Dexron III
OASIS FLUID Century Transfer Fluid (Fuel Filter in Kit)

Wiper Blade – Trico 67-361
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:21 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
We're "old school" when it comes to a checklist. I made up a step-by-step list years ago and printed it out. I make a couple copies as needed. Both the wife and I have clipboards where we check off things as we do them and we each double check the others list to make sure we didn't miss anything prior to departing and after setting up. I also set-up maintenance reminders on my phone calendar. We've used these lists for nearly 50 years because it's easy to get distracted and forget something that could be disastrous. Has it become a routine? Yes, but that's when you're more likely to forget something and that's where having a physical list prevents mistakes. I will add that I'm somewhat OCD with lists.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #4

Don’t need an “app”. Rev. Roy and DS Don have good low tech methods.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 11:59 AM   #5

We've been RVing since the late 90's and whilst we nervously in the very beginning had a scratch type check list, and we would hang our keys on the handle of the TV dish inside (that seemed to be the thing we'd maybe forget until just outside or close to outside the CG's), now everything is automatic with us.

Last thing hubby and I do (me inside he outside) is walk around for a few mins looking UP and down around the rig before pulling away. He'll look under check tires and jacks are stowed and of course it's obvious if the electric cable hasn't been stowed at that juncture!!

The final walk around for us is the most important step before departing from anywhere making sure doors are secure inside including shower and crockery, fridge straps etc secure, air vents down, and his outside walking around seems to have stood us in good stead for almost a quarter decade. We also do the same checking tires and bays are still secure after stopping enroute before heading off again.

Folks typically don't look up but that will save you a lot missing air vents and any roof erected items if applicable.

As for packing, we keep most items in the RV year around, removing all liquids for winterising into an RV Tote that's kept in the basement. Come spring we just rewash all material items, and reinstall all the RV Tote items in place. Upon flushing the antifreeze out of the plumbing system we check for any leaks. We also a few days prior to leaving have a couple of collapsible baskets by the front door, that we keep adding items to from within the house we find useful to have with us. For anything else theres always a Walmart enroute!

Happy Travels, keep your chariot stocked with non-perishables you use on a daily basis, add the rest, check around your rig inside and out eyes UP and Down, relax and enjoy.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenapril View Post
Has anyone used these (e.g., RVCheckList, RV CheckIT!,..)? Trying to pick the best one to automate my checklists (packing, Camp Setup, Camp Breakdown, Maintenance,..)
I've used RVChecklist for years. We started RV'ing in 2004, and started using the app not long after. I particularly like it because out of the box it is a pretty well rounded check list, but it's so easy to modify it to your own requirements. I still use it today to keep me on track when we're getting ready to head out.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I've used RVChecklist for years. We started RV'ing in 2004, and started using the app not long after. I particularly like it because out of the box it is a pretty well rounded check list, but it's so easy to modify it to your own requirements. I still use it today to keep me on track when we're getting ready to head out.
This is me exactly.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 04:14 PM   #8

Excel Checklist Tailored to Your RV

We made up our own list in an excel spreadsheet, printed it out and put it in a little binder in plastic sheet protectors. We keep finding new things to add or change on the list, so it gets updated periodically. We've had a few uh oh's when we got in a rush and assumed that the other person did an item on the list. Now we pull the sheet out every time, and if I didn't do the task or see it done, I double check with my husband. I don't like trolling through manuals every time I can't remember something. We started the checklist when we got our first RV, but it expanded considerably when we got the New Aire. We used the previous list and then revised it based on reading the Newmar and appliance manuals. So .... we have a sheet for:
1. Hitching and unhitching our Jeep.
2. Pre-trip
3. Towing log (to keep track of mileage on Jeep's tires, etc.)
4. Campsite set up.
5. Leaving campsite.
6. Post-trip
7. Cleaning reference
8. Equipment/appliance purchase date/warranties, serial number, model, etc.
9. Frost, heat, altitude conditions.
10. Reference (weights, tire pressures, roadside assistance, VIN, etc.)
11. Electric load analysis (this was for me as I am not the EE in the family)
12. Weigh stations vs. max weight ratings.
13. Periodic maintenance
Liz_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know that years ago, I made a few lists for things but never ended up using them. I also know that it's pretty easy to make lists on your phone or a laptop these days. Again, even though they are there, I think you'll soon find that you don't use them. My point, don't go crazy making lists, unless you're one of those that just has to have them. (Pilot )

When we break or set up camp, my wife has her duties and I have mine. Things like strapping the table and lowering the sat. Locking the sliding doors and refer door, etc. We double check each other which only takes a few seconds on a walk through.

When it comes to maintenance, I actually created two lists, one that contains all my filters, belts, and capacities. The other list is the actual maintenance list. I no longer do everything on the maintenance list on the same dates. I created these lists in Word and tweaked them from coach to coach. I keep the lists in a three-ring binder. It sounds old school, but when there is no internet, computer or there are phone issues, I have the lists. When I do my maintenance, I just write in the mileage and the date next to each item. I also keep a laminated lube chart that shows all of my lube points in the binder. Great for use when lubing and doesn't get dirty.

More importantly, I keep specialized items in the binder. As an example, I have photos of the various fuse panels printed in color on (8.5" x 11") photo paper. If I blow a fuse, I can look at the photos and know what panel in the coach has that fuse.

Procedures like adjusting the slides, adjusting the power shades or any other procedure I've had to look up in the past, I print and keep in the folder, even a list of engine codes. When there is no internet, I have everything in the binder. It's taken years, but I add to it as I go.

OIL & LUBE
DATE/MILES DATE/MILES
ENGINE
ENGINE OIL CHANGE _________________________________
ENGINE OIL FILTER _________________________________
FUEL FILTERS _________________________________
HYDRAULIC FAN FLUID _________________________________
DESICCANT FILTER _________________________________
POWER STEERING FLUID _________________________________
POWER STEERING FILTER _________________________________

CHASSIS

GREASE FITTINGS _________________________________
DRIVE SHAFT _________________________________
FRONT HUBS _________________________________
LUBE LEVELERS _________________________________
(SILICON ON SHAFTS)
SLACK ADJUSTERS _________________________________
DIFFERENTIAL _________________________________

TRANSMISSION
TRANS FLUID & FIL _________________________________

GENERATOR
GEN OIL 150 Hrs _________________________________
GEN OIL FILTER 150 Hrs _________________________________
GEN FUEL FILTER150 Hrs _________________________________
GEN AIR FILTER 150 Hrs _________________________________
COOLANT Yrs _________________________________

OASIS FUEL FILTER _________________________________
(Century Transfer Fluid)

2019 Newmar Dutch Star
VIN:
UNIT #607408
ENGINE ISL 450 HP SER #

OIL - LF 9009 FLEETGUARD
AIR - 062891 001 PARKER RACOR Ecolite
FUEL PRIMARY - R61709 DETROIT
FUEL SECONDARY - FF63009 FLEETGUARD
ENGINE BELT - 3972263 CUMMINS
(Optional) 080830 NAPA
(Without A/C 25-080726
FAN DRIVE BELT 01-32155-676 CUMMINS
POWER STEER FILTER - T1808G
PS filter (O-Ring) 14-15612-000
DESICCANT FILTER - Wabco

ENGINE OIL
15-40 ROTELLA 26 QUARTS W/FILTER

TRANSMISSION OIL (ALLISON MH3) TRANSYND

ONAN GENERATOR 8500 MODEL #8HDKAK-1046N
15-40 ROTELLA 3 QUARTS W/FILTER

OIL FILTER- 122-0833 ONAN
AIR FILTER 140-2897 ONAN
FUEL FILTER 0541-1442 ONAN

COOLANT- Peak

HYDRAULIC FAN FLUID Mobil Delvac 75w-90
POWER STEERING FLUID Dexron III
OASIS FLUID Century Transfer Fluid (Fuel Filter in Kit)

Wiper Blade – Trico 67-361
been meaning to make that exact list for months, thanks for posting it with the info filled in. copy and paste has made me lazy!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 04:04 AM   #10

Don great list as always.

I have struggled to get the right frequency for the various lubes, oil, filter and other changes and checks etc.

Do you have a frequency for these in miles and time or both? I see you have one for the generator.

Thanks

Tags
phone