Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
RV jerks forward when put in drive

We've been RVing for a year so we're definitely newbies. We started with a 29 foot class B+ and found real fast that room us definitely an issue, so this past December we traded for a 2005 Newmar DutchStar 4010. I've been through a lot of the posts on this site concerning fridge replacement, which I have bought a residential fridge to replace the RV fridge, having it in storage makes it difficult to switch it out.

So far we've been very pleased with the extra room, quality and comfort of the DutchStar. It's totally amazing.

We've taken it to Florida a few times and over to Ohio during Winter (not the smartest time to go), and a few other places. I had everything looked over before we bought it, had a new roof installed as a result.

So quite a few minor things crop up. Keeping a battery charged in storage has been difficult, but I'm working that issue.

To get to the current big concern. On a recent trip, I was getting ready to leave the campground, the rig had been running for about ten minutes, when I put the rig in gear it lurched forward. This is something it's never done before. Yesterday when I went to take it out for a warmup/recharge drive, of course all the batteries were dead so I had to jump the coach to get it going. I let it warm up a while to get the batteries going for a bit. Once again, when I put it in gear it lurched forward a bit. It only does this once during the trip.

Is this just a cold weather thing or is it something I should get looked at.

Thanks

Mitch Johnson

2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4010
And Loving it
Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Have you looked at the tachometer to see how fast it's idling when it does that?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM   #3

Make sure high idle is disengaged when you put it into gear
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
Have you looked at the tachometer to see how fast it's idling when it does that?
I haven't looked at the tach. I'll check when I go to storage on Wednesday. I didn't notice high revs when I put it in gear, I would normally notice that.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

My coach has two points of high idle. One is around 900rpm and the other around 1200rpm. If I was in the low high idle range it's barely a difference in noise between regular idle.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure how to disengage high idle.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

How do you engage it? Mine is done through the cruise control so I can either turn that off or press the brake.

Is your foot holding the brake down when you put it in gear? Emergency brake off or on?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I switch the emergency brake off, push lightly on the brake then put it in gear. The coach doesn't go anywhere it just lurches forward. I'm extremely ignorant of any kind of high idle settings. This appears to only happen when the coach hasn't been started in a few days.

Thank you.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

I'm assuming this is a diesel, am I wrong?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Yes. It is diesel.

Is this something I should worry about or just a high idle during cold months?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

You should never let the coach just idle. As soon as you have oil pressure you should put it in high idle. It's bad to let a diesel idle.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Run at high idle when warming up so all Tranny and engine fluids get to normal operating temp. When ready to roll, put foot on break to bring engine down to regular idle for a couple seconds. Put in Drive and then take Parking brake off - then if it lurches at least you have the Parking brake to hold it. It shouldnt lurch though unless like others you put in drive without taking off high idle.

But you might want to have transmission fluid checked or serviced if continues.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for everyone's input, huge learning curve here but it's sinking in.

I still don't know where this high idle is, when the coach is started, does it go into high idle initially or is there a way I can control the high idle, I do understand, now, that applying the brake changes it to low idle, what if I want to get it back up to high idle again?

As always, thanks so much.

How do I automagically add my signature line to each message?

Mitch

2005 Newmar DutchStar 4010. Still learning what the esle goes on this line. Oh yeh, Allison and Spartan.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

Not sure on your coach. Try engaging the cruise control.